can I get opinions on the keto diet vs. just counting calories and staying under 1200?

Options

Replies

• IWillTakeBackMyLife
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Also, as far as the drama in the thread goes, I don't understand why people are trying to stop you from losing weight or saying you NEED to eat at least 1200 calories. You're 130 lbs which means you got a little bit to lose for sure based on your own description of your weight gain, but 100 lbs sounds extreme to me. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I can't tell, but I'm leaning towards too extreme. I say the best way to judge what you should be losing truly is by your body fat %. BMI isn't 100% accurate, everyone is different.

1. 1200 is considered the minimum safe amount for weight loss for women. And honestly that is really only for short, sedentary women. Most others would benefit from higher amounts. Eating too few calories has a host of negative health effects. There are several threads around these boards about them. Many people here have gone that route and experienced them first hand. Here are a few potential ones: micronutrient dificency, muscle loss, hair loss, disruption of menstrual cycle/loss of period. Most people who go the extreme restriction route end up regretting it.
    2. 130 pounds is a perfectly fine weight for someone who is 5'4". It is a 22.3 BMI, which is right in the middle of the normal range. Nobody at that BMI needs to lose weight. Now someone at that BMI could safely lose a few pounds if they wanted to for appearance reasons, but it has to be done slowly and methodically. It shouldn't be done quickly and haphazardly.
    3. 100 pounds is in no way shape or form ever okay for someone who is 5'4". Full stop. That is a BMI of 17.2, which is severely underweight.

I'm a 6'0" 250~ lb male and I've been eating less than 1,200 calories for a long time. I've consistently gained weight and stalled on a normal diet if I follow what is recommended. If I even attempt to meet 1,800 calories I will be sick and it becomes impossible to exercise or enjoy anything. I'm currently in Keto consistently eating a 400 calorie breakfast, a 100 calorie snack and then a 400 calorie dinner each day. I've never felt better doing this. I did OMAD for months only eating a single meal which was usually 400-500 calories and had success with that then tried transitioning to a normal diet eating breakfast, lunch and dinner where my weight stalled for 2 months before hopping on Keto which has been even better than OMAD.

Of course I can see the potential for negative effects. That's why I believe everyone is different and has different needs. I don't want someone to deceive themselves into believing they should do what I do, but not everyone is the same. I'm healthier than ever doing this. For me though I was nearly 500 lbs at my highest and I was 300+ lbs by age 12.

Also my two best friends are males both nearly 6 foot, both 130 lbs and neither of them look anorexic at all. Everyone is different. BMI isn't everything. Losing a few pounds for appearance reasons at that weight I agree should be done safely, I don't think Keto is an unsafe method for that.
  • rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    For me, low carb (while counting calories) really helps, plus fat for me is satiating, Too many carbs and I hold too much water and feel just plain heavy/slow. I've lost 43 lbs this way since last Jan. and at 63, that's not too bad. My daughter's doing keto and it works quite well, however it's really hard!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Try a calorie calculator: a lot of factors change the number of calories you need. Female vs male, height, age,peri menopause or not,activity level etc etc.
    https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Don’t go by extreme weight loss that’s for folks with Doctor present.

I’m light walking in a house to barely anything due to surgeries, 5’4 with peri menopause age 40’s 150lbs so it has me at 1200 calories but as I get more active it should go up from there.

I’m eating from lots of type of diets since sometimes I’m eating with different family members which is more vegetarian,Octovarian,pescatarian,meat eater or making my own item to eat. As you can see very one in my household is in a separate diet so lots of dishes to wash theirs my main exercise lol cooking y washing plates. Certain foods seem to make me go up especially salty ones y others I go down . It’s trying until you find what works for you. Summery diets different than winter.

Measure yourself I went down pant size but scale stayed put! Took awhile for the scale caught up.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Yup I’d avoid if you got to go set boundaries including the buddy system (me y Hubby stay together so no window for someone to walk up he shuts it down me too if it starts...traffic better hit the road! Thankyou Thankyou waves good bye! Then we vent all the way home to each other crack jokes). If my Dad said that while waiting to walk me down the isle I would have told him to go sit down or tell him “You too!”

I found fat shaming family moments are horrible my Mom survived it during my pregnancies I had to also...Hubby a big guy. I have noticed the fat shamers after you start loosing weight they start gaining it. Might be their own fears y diet struggles being tossed onto the rest of us.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited December 2019
    Options
    TeaBea - Agreed! I’m 5’4 barely I am only supposed to weight between 108- 132lbs but it depends on age! As a teen 108kb range fit me fine. In my 20’s more 115-120’s. In my 30’s 125-130lbs .in my 40’s y up 130-132lbs . If I go under 130lbs At my age I start to feel sick! Less muscular build y well just icky. I tossed my teen y 20’s clothes in my Daughter room shut the door on them lol. I’m 150lbs so only 20lbs to go or less. Being 100lbs would be too thin at my stage of life would be underweight. She probably doing my mistakes I input the calories but didn’t understand the importance of serving sizes! So was twice what I wrote cause cereal cups kids get is the actual serving size for cereal...not the big old bowls in our cabinet we fill to the top with goodies! I found out a serving size of my cookies is a kids snack pack yikes 😳 so choosing low cal options that give me larger portions lol rather have a full Sugarfree big fudge pop than 1 tiny cookie 🍪.
    jqavrq4nwimy.jpeg

It’s obvious your family has the wrong idea about healthy weight sizes. I can only imagine what it does to ones self confidence being told by a parent that you need to loose weight even at the correct weight. Hugs 🤗 stay strong ignore their cruel words. Be healthy live for you only.