What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I went bouldering for the third day in a row. I lasted 90 minutes, and then finished with 15 minutes yoga.

This was an OK session. One of my fingers on my right hand hurt, so I altered route (for example, on finger pockets) to try to avoid using it too much. This worked, but may have resulted in some slightly imaginative approaches.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Another 9,444 C2 rowing machine meters, just getting it in: 2 separate sessions (because schedule logistics) of 2 x 2k on, 2' off/CD plus a random extra 500m extra CD after the 2nd set, 19-21spm range, 2:32.1 & 2:29.1 for the work part of the 2k sets. 1st set mostly Z3, a little Z4 and Z1/2, HRavg 135, HR peak 148. 2nd set 45% each Z3 & 4, rest Z1/2, HRavg 141, HR peak 161.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member

6-7 pm:
    Warmup
    Yoga (10m)
    Strength
    Horizontal Push Pull Complex EMO5M (25m)
    Pushup - 34-27-20-14-7 (102)
    Reverse Row - 16-13-10-6-3 (48)
    Cossack Squat - 16 x 5 (80)
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    45 min spin z2/3 only.

Weight thing is so strange. Stuck on a super stubborn plateau for 10 days (despite doing everything I'm supposed to...) and now I'm suddenly 4 lbs down.

I'll *take* it but WTF????
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Physical therapy (PT) - went to the non-PT gym (that is way too expensive for most people who work or study at the hospital) and erged for 500m to warm up then we went to the squat rack to see what was going on with my knees when I squat.

Results: my knees (and my shoulders) look great when I erg and everything goes to hell when I squat primarily because anatomically squatting appears to really not be for me. The joys of, among other things, having 4 major knee surgeries. It looks like leg press is going to be what I do instead because I can actually, oh I don't know, get a workout, not be exceedingly unbalanced, not feel like my IT band is doing a "fun" (read: unhealthy) dance move, etc.

After that it was astim (which is like grastin) and then stretching because dear god my hip flexors.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2019
    aokoye wrote: »
    Physical therapy (PT) - went to the non-PT gym (that is way too expensive for most people who work or study at the hospital) and erged for 500m to warm up then we went to the squat rack to see what was going on with my knees when I squat.

Results: my knees (and my shoulders) look great when I erg and everything goes to hell when I squat primarily because anatomically squatting appears to really not be for me. The joys of, among other things, having 4 major knee surgeries. It looks like leg press is going to be what I do instead because I can actually, oh I don't know, get a workout, not be exceedingly unbalanced, not feel like my IT band is doing a "fun" (read: unhealthy) dance move, etc.

After that it was astim (which is like grastin) and then stretching because dear god my hip flexors.

I'm sorry but I had to chuckle at this. I can relate more than you know. My left knee is great but my right one is structural garbage. I can't do heavy barbell work any longer either but I'm older than you. It makes your results on the rower more impressive.

The leg press isn't terrible if you can go deep enough on it to really feel it. Box jumps are great too (just use a softer one!). All the bike work you do also builds your leg strength. I like the Stairmaster a lot. I'll skip steps and go wide on it. Seems to be a great way for me to replace lunges. You just have to play around and find what you can do rather than work on what you can't.

I see a SkiErg in your future perhaps? Those are also amazing for legs and complimentary to all the rowing.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2019
    Today's row was the monthly "CTC" -- cross team challenge. It was 7 X 1 minute with 70 seconds rest. You might not be able to read this pic, but I crashed and burned pretty bad. Started out around 1:46 pace and ended up having to take a "breather" on the 5th interval and then came back a bit on the last two -- 1:50.2 average pace for the set. Not great, but at least that's done.

Last two pics are Gambel Quails. I love them. Like the Geese of the desert. They birth in the Spring and then bring their families to feed at the feeder -- sometimes as many as 10 at a time. They stick together like a family flock, similar to Geese up North. Amazing birds. I'd like to catch a few Hummingbird pics but I'm not sure my phone camera is that good.

p7d3zdofvbbv.jpg
    5586bjixxqyk.jpg
    1bva9ejmhied.jpg
  • aokoye
    aokoye wrote: »

I'm sorry but I had to chuckle at this. I can relate more than you know. My left knee is great but my right one is structural garbage. I can't do heavy barbell work any longer either but I'm older than you. It makes your results on the rower more impressive.

The leg press isn't terrible if you can go deep enough on it to really feel it. Box jumps are great too (just use a softer one!). All the bike work you do also builds your leg strength. I like the Stairmaster a lot. I'll skip steps and go wide on it. Seems to be a great way for me to replace lunges. You just have to play around and find what you can do rather than work on what you can't.

I see a SkiErg in your future perhaps? Those are also amazing for legs and complimentary to all the rowing.

Yeah, my knees are a joke - such a joke. I saw a sports med doctor that my ortho referred me to last week and upon looking at my most recent xrays he said, "well, you're no longer in your 20s" in reference to my cartilage. While he's correct, I'm also 32 and most of my knee surgeries occured when I was in my 20s. I also train with a lot of people who are in their 50s. I should have replied, "well why don't you pull up MRIs of my knees when I was in my 20s, it will take you less than a minute."

I suspect that when push comes to shove, most sports or exercises that involve me having to bend/extend or land on my feet under a fair amount of load when I'm not in a seated position are just not compatible with my current state of anatomy. That includes running, which I've been able to do in the past but it's not a pretty sight for any physical therapist. The major exception is deadlifts, but that's a much more similar motion to the the leg drive of rowing. Leg press feels great in comparison, I don't overcompensate, and I'm really symmetrical. I can also lift (or press as it were) way more weight and am definitely able to go deep enough. What I would love to do is start rock climbing again, but financially and time wise I don't know if it will work out.

The SkiErg, if not actual cross country skiing, is probably in my future. I've used it a few times in the gym, but I keep thinking to myself, "am I doing this right?" and there's no one around that I trust would be able to tell me if that's the case. That said, I'm moving to Ottawa next Fall for grad school soo....cross country skiing lessons will be in my future. I'm glad that I found rowing though, it's clearly a sport that I'm good at and my body doesn't hate it save for some of the anxiety provoking bits of rowing on the water, though those are getting leaps and bounds better.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    40 min elliptical

Short leg workout:

12 KB swings - 20 lb
    30 lunges
    12 Romanian deadlifts - 50 lb
    Repeat 3x

10 Leg press - 135 lb
    15 sumo squats- 20 lb
    24 step ups
    Repeat 2x

16 crunches
    12 jack knife sit ups
    Repeat 2x
  • AnnPT77
    Yet another spin class (48 minutes, mostly Z3), plus yet another 9,855 C2 rowing machine meters, 4 x 2k + 1k plus CD and row in/outs. 2k pieces ranged from 2:34.4 to 2:27.7, all at 21spm, mostly Z3 (54%) and Z4 (37%).

42,964m (or so) until Christmas. ;)
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited December 2019
    Molar and bicep day for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drl3c-N4Lysv
  • MikePfirrman
    Woke up with a bit of a headache this AM. Likely been pushing too hard this week, so instead of napping at lunch (very tempted to do that), I did a really easy workout on the AirDyne Pro @ around 130 Watts. My HR didn't exceed 135 and most of the workout was in the low 120s, even high 110s. Feel better after doing this workout. Have to be smart and realize it's for the longer run.
  • AnnPT77
    Guess what I did!!??!?!

Yup, another golldarn 9,757m on that C2 rowing machine. Picked it up a little, to something approaching PB past race pace, in the last 150 +/- meters of the 4th 2k.

Heh. Yeah. A whole 2k of that is not happening. Not now, not soon. :neutral:
  • aokoye
    Finally got myself out of the house to erg with some extra "just go, you'll feel like you did something if you go" from a friend of mine. Rush hour being especially awful today, I didn't make it to team erging, but I did manage to go to my university's gym before it closed.

20 min - 4742m. Had they been open for longer I would have done something different, but they're on their winter break schedule.
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    30 minutes on bike, 30 minutes rowing.
  • MikePfirrman
    Told myself I'd wear the HRM today and see how the row went and base the amount of meters/time on that. Ended up doing 5K only. HR was way too high relative to pace. 2:22 pace @ 20 SPM but HR was nearing 160 and sometimes over it at the end -- way too high for that workout. So I finished with 25 minutes on the Assault Bike, very easy.

@ Ann -- I think the 2K TT and the 7 X 1'/70" rest took such a toll on me that I'm still feeling the effects, so I can relate to your 2K TT avoidance. No sense in pushing things if you don't have to. You're getting in tons of SS, just like you should be doing in the offseason and getting just enough fast work in to keep what you have.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I did 90 minutes bouldering.
    I sent nearly everything. It was very good. I got 4 or 5 long term projects. This was one of my best sessions.
  • BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    No workout today. Our daughter flew in from college and we are enjoying our day. I am overjoyed to see her and I know what happens when I’m that happy...I eat more! I decided to go over on my calories by no more than 500 calories because I wanted a little more pasta (today is our pasta dinner night). I also worked my butt off for the last three days to balance out my calories. Tomorrow my hubby, my daughter and I are hitting the gym tomorrow and I plan to kick butt on that elliptical machine, get a good weight workout in and cool down. 👍🏽. This is what I really love about MFP because you can make choices and still balance things out.
  • medusascircle
    medusascircle Posts: 24 Member
    3 mile run + 1 mile walk in the morning then after work gym, 3 more miles run + 1/2 mile walk
  • AnnPT77
    Thursday, so spin class, 53 minutes, mostly Z3.

And not Christmas yet, so another 9,774 rowing machine meters, the 2x2k work pieces at 2:29.6, 21spm; overall workout with cool-down and such 55 minutes, 24% Z4, 56% Z3, rest lower.

One more Garmin intensity minute, and I'll be at 600 for the week (with days left to go), 4x the commonly recommended 150 per week. That's nothing compared to the marathon trainers and triathletes around here, but I think I'm doing OK for a li'l ol' lady, age 64.

@MikePfirrman, I don't train anymore. I row for fun, mostly, and for health as a side effect. The Winter rowing machine work helps me avoid starting from almost zero every Spring. I try to do the Holiday Challenge (body problems allowing) each year to boot me out of sluggish denial that on-water rowing is over for another year, and into that Winter maintenance mode. I'm doing SS work now, because if I don't, I won't get those meters in, especially this year (Thanksgiving so late!): Intensity is fatiguing. I don't have to ever do a 2k TT ever again, so I probably won't. ;) Volume's going to drop a bunch in a week or so. :lol: Best wishes to all of you you who have racing aspirations, and who train accordingly! :flowerforyou: :drinker: