For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    The regular dried peas which I bought for growing shoots germinated badly. They are being made in Dutch pea soup. Found some old fashioned marrow fat green peas at the health food store so will try planting those on a window sill.
    krt97tdld9yd.jpeg
    zkb1kenq16zb.jpeg

Thought of you today, I was buying Mesclun mix to plant and stick under my grow lights and came across a mixed package of microgreens. I planted them all, it wasn't a generous amount of seed! I'll have to try finding dried seeds like peas to use, I need to read through this thread and note all your tips. I have 7 flats of herbs and loose lettuce mix on my grow table, I'm hoping this goes well!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    These were the instructions I used. The fava beans I grew in summer germinated profusely, but the marrow fat peas I planted later were pathetic. I have planted marrow fat peas sold for cooking previous summers with great results. I think I just got a bum batch of peas.

https://verticalveg.org.uk/how-to-grow-pea-shoots/
  • Katmary71
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    These were the instructions I used. The fava beans I grew in summer germinated profusely, but the marrow fat peas I planted later were pathetic. I have planted marrow fat peas sold for cooking previous summers with great results. I think I just got a bum batch of peas.

https://verticalveg.org.uk/how-to-grow-pea-shoots/

Awesome, I need to order peas, will do next month. Thanks!
  • silviamartins
    silviamartins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love this! I grew up just eating meat, potatoes and bread (Portuguese) I want to love produce and have come along way, but when I look up recipes I get overwhelmed with the amount of work/ingredients. I need easy recipes in order to add it to my life.

I love making vegan nacho cheese that is made by potatoes and carrots.

I eat so much spinach, I don’t understand how some people don’t like it as there isn’t much taste to it and I pretty much add it to anything for a nutritional boost.

I love a simple salad with avacado, cherry tomatoes, red onions, fetta topped with s/p.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    @just_Tomek I thoroughly of putting this on the paprika thread but read about it here. I was at Trader Joe's and they had hearts of palm so I bought a can as you described them to me before. They're really good, reminds me that artichokes a bit. I've been putting them on my salads. I bought a few things I'd never tried before and it's my favorite so far.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    It being New Year's, I will probably cook up a "mess o' greens" at some point. No doubt I will cook some of the black eyed peas in the pantry - probably dried ones instead of canned. I should really get some buttermilk and make a batch or two of my cornbread. I use corn stick pans, so there's lots of crust on every piece. Almost no wheat flour, and what I use is 100% stone ground whole wheat. Mostly it's a mix of corn meal, polenta, and masa. Sometimes I will add a little corn or chopped chilies or whatever. And... butter.

Happy New Year!
  • Katmary71
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    It being New Year's, I will probably cook up a "mess o' greens" at some point. No doubt I will cook some of the black eyed peas in the pantry - probably dried ones instead of canned. I should really get some buttermilk and make a batch or two of my cornbread. I use corn stick pans, so there's lots of crust on every piece. Almost no wheat flour, and what I use is 100% stone ground whole wheat. Mostly it's a mix of corn meal, polenta, and masa. Sometimes I will add a little corn or chopped chilies or whatever. And... butter.

Happy New Year!

That sounds excellent! Chiles are great in cornbread. I'm making collard greens and black-eyed peas tonight too, I've never had collard greens before. I should make cornbread too but would probably eat too much of it! I'm saving calories for a family Christmas party this weekend.

@just_Tomek your salad idea sounds delicious!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    5uhkqiiul80i.jpg

Each batch makes 14 corn sticks and seven triangles. Second batch in the oven right now....
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Happy 2020 produce fam!

This stash at a farmers market in Alsace caught my eye and I thought of you! I can’t be the only one that likes to check out markets while on vacay right? ☺️
    PS - the carrots were so sweet they tasted like dessert!

vmqw4k0m9y9k.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Happy 2020 produce fam!

This stash at a farmers market in Alsace caught my eye and I thought of you! I can’t be the only one that likes to check out markets while on vacay right? ☺️
    PS - the carrots were so sweet they tasted like dessert!

vmqw4k0m9y9k.jpeg

Side note, but did you know that the purple carrots are the heirloom, original carrots? Any other colour was created by men. Apparently orange is the very pleasing colour and the most common now.

@just_tomek - yessss! 🤗 I found this out a few years ago in Amsterdam actually/ they were created for the House of Orange royal family. So I call them Dutch carrots lol - I had actually never had the purple or white variety until I was an adult.. sigh.. ( I would have eaten the colors more so as a child.) I personally think the purple are the prettiest and maybe tastiest. I wonder if it’s the soil here that makes them so sweet. When I see new veggies worldwide / I’m amazed at all the new tastes there are to try. 🥕 😉

Making any carrot dishes soon?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve just prepped Harissa Roasted Carrots for tonight, as it happens! One of my favourites which I have with either Pearled Spelt or Brown Rice and a mixed salad.

Carrots cut into fairly fine batons, thinly sliced garlic, fresh thyme leaves tossed in a dollop of Rose Harissa, drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of cumin seeds. Roughly chopped parsley or coriander to garnish once they’re roasted. Usually make a Skyr, honey and harissa dressing too, for a creamy dip. 😋
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    I’ve just prepped Harissa Roasted Carrots for tonight, as it happens! One of my favourites which I have with either Pearled Spelt or Brown Rice and a mixed salad.

Carrots cut into fairly fine batons, thinly sliced garlic, fresh thyme leaves tossed in a dollop of Rose Harissa, drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of cumin seeds. Roughly chopped parsley or coriander to garnish once they’re roasted. Usually make a Skyr, honey and harissa dressing too, for a creamy dip. 😋

@BarbaraHelen2013 yum! You had me at fresh thyme. ☺️
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Has anybody tried, or even see, the new Cosmic Crisp apples? I've been looking, but I haven't seen them yet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked yet and they likely aren't at my closest grocery (which I will likely hit tonight), but I will look.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    Has anybody tried, or even see, the new Cosmic Crisp apples? I've been looking, but I haven't seen them yet.

I didn't think they were anything special and I love trying new apples.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I have seen them here in Canada Longos store, but at $4.99/lb I did not feel the need to try this lol
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I haven't looked yet and they likely aren't at my closest grocery (which I will likely hit tonight), but I will look.

I finally saw them in our coop yesterday, and I got one. Just ONE though, because, yeah, even for organic, five bucks a pound seems like a lot for an apple.

Tasted a lot like a Honeycrisp which I love. Maybe just a little crunchier, which was also nice. I hope that as the novelty wears off, and as more acres are planted, the price will come down. Even Honeycrisp are more expensive around here than, say Fuji which have been around a longer time (early 1960s for Fuji and mid 1970s for Honeycrisp). Maybe I'll live long enough to see Cosmic Crisp for a buck a pound. I'm still looking for that Pirate Corn. You know. The stuff that's "buck-an-ear?" Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    I have seen them here in Canada Longos store, but at $4.99/lb I did not feel the need to try this lol
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I'm still looking for that Pirate Corn. You know. The stuff that's "buck-an-ear?" Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Ha! I really needed that laugh!

I’m also really desiring an apple right now. 😋
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I saw in Nextdoor that they are supposedly at the closest WF, but I didn't see them when I was there. I got pink ladies instead and they were tasty.

(Heh on the buck an ear.)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I saw some more Cosmic Crisps at a different grocery today. Conventional rather than organic, so a buck a pound less. I passed, but I might get some more again when the novelty wears off.

You do know what you get when you cross a Cosmic Crisp with a Dungeness?

Yeah. A crab apple.

Sorry. Can't help it.