Why we need carbs.

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is this thread still going on?

I just wanted to say that I had bacon and eggs for breakfast and was not hungry until lunch. For lunch I had jerk chicken (lean breast), kaluah pork, bbq short ribs, coconut curry vegetables, and a salad, yum!

Before I started low carb I would've had 1 or 2 snacks (more carbs) between breakfast and lunch and would be tired. I have so much energy right now that I feel like knocking down walls!!

I had a glass of chocolate soy milk for breakfast (7 a.m.) and wasn't hungry till lunch (noon). But I can't see how that, or your eggs and bacon, means anything about low carb vs not low carb.

You should research the effects soy milk can have on your health. I read a few pages about it in the Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith and was very shocked as i used to drink soy milk and eat a lot of soy processed foods when i was a vegetarian. I havnt done any additional research as of yet but you JUST reminded me so now i shall!
    Thanks!

I have. The internet abounds with the dire affects of soy. But there is also plenty of evidence from reputable medical studies that show it's good for you. Plus, I've been drinking and eating soy for about 20 years with no ill affects so that's good enough for me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A few select quotes from Why We Get Fat:

I can't seem to find the one study that you're referring to (where obese people underreported their food intake) - do you have a chapter or reference? There are plenty of other studies backing up his hypothesis that something other than calories-in / calories-out matter - impoverished, obese Native Americans, obese mothers with starving children, obese rats with removed ovaries, etc.

you can't find the study because he doesn't mention that fact, since it conveniently goes against what he's trying to say

"For example, one popular book bases one of its many incorrect theses on a 1980 report suggesting that the obese ate the same number of calories as the lean. Ergo, obesity was caused by something else. The problem is this, the data set is wrong. A fact we’ve known for nearly 30 years but that the author was somehow unable to become aware of in his ’5 years of dedicated research’.

Study after study after study over the past 30 years shows that the obese systematically under-report their food intake (by up to 30-50%) and over-report their activity (by about the same). So when they say they are only eating 1800 calories per day, they may be eating 2400-3600 calories per day. And their activity isn’t nearly what they think."

www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

"There are plenty of other studies backing up his hypothesis that something other than calories-in / calories-out matter - impoverished, obese Native Americans, obese mothers with starving children, obese rats with removed ovaries, etc."

epidemiological studies? you do know the shortcomings of using such data to back your hypothesis, right? and please do tell how rats, whose metabolic pathways are different then humans have anything to do with this?

and notice i never said there aren't other factors at play in weight gain/loss, but the overriding factor is calories

Taubes also says this;

"If you restrict only carbohydra­tes, you can always eat more protein and fat if you feel the urge, since they have no effect on fat accumulati­on"

Location 2519 Kindle edition of Why We Get Fat

"But protein and fat don't make us fat-only the carbohydra­tes do-so there is no reason to curtail them in any way"

location 3064 Why we Get Fat

which is utterly ridiculous, here's some links and studies i posted in another GCBC thread

McLaughlin T, et al. Difference­s in insulin resistance do not predict weight loss in response to hypocalori­c diets in healthy obese women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinol­ogy & Metabolism­, 1999; 84 (2): 578-581.

de Luis DA, et al. Difference­s in glycaemic status do not predict weight loss in response to hypocalori­c diets in obese patients. Clinical Nutrition, Feb 2006; 25 (1): 117-122.

Due A, et al. No effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in hyperinsul­inaemic obese subjects during an 8-week weight-los­s diet. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism­, Jul 2007; 9 (4): 566-574.

also here are some interestin­g reads on Taubes

http://rea­son.com/ar­chives/200­3/03/01/bi­g-fat-fake

http://www­.weightyma­tters.ca/2­011/01/boo­k-review-g­ary-taubes­-why-we-ge­t-fat.html

http://car­bsanity.bl­ogspot.com­/2010/10/u­pdate-gary­-taubes-em­ail-my-res­ponse.html
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    A few select quotes from Why We Get Fat:

I can't seem to find the one study that you're referring to (where obese people underreported their food intake) - do you have a chapter or reference? There are plenty of other studies backing up his hypothesis that something other than calories-in / calories-out matter - impoverished, obese Native Americans, obese mothers with starving children, obese rats with removed ovaries, etc.

you can't find the study because he doesn't mention that fact, since it conveniently goes against what he's trying to say

"For example, one popular book bases one of its many incorrect theses on a 1980 report suggesting that the obese ate the same number of calories as the lean. Ergo, obesity was caused by something else. The problem is this, the data set is wrong. A fact we’ve known for nearly 30 years but that the author was somehow unable to become aware of in his ’5 years of dedicated research’.

Study after study after study over the past 30 years shows that the obese systematically under-report their food intake (by up to 30-50%) and over-report their activity (by about the same). So when they say they are only eating 1800 calories per day, they may be eating 2400-3600 calories per day. And their activity isn’t nearly what they think."

"There are plenty of other studies backing up his hypothesis that something other than calories-in / calories-out matter - impoverished, obese Native Americans, obese mothers with starving children, obese rats with removed ovaries, etc."

epidemiological studies? you do know the shortcomings of using such data to back your hypothesis, right? and please do tell how rats, whose metabolic pathways are different then humans have anything to do with this?

and notice i never said there aren't other factors at play in weight gain/loss, but the overriding factor is calories

Taubes also says this;

"If you restrict only carbohydra­tes, you can always eat more protein and fat if you feel the urge, since they have no effect on fat accumulati­on"

Location 2519 Kindle edition of Why We Get Fat

"But protein and fat don't make us fat-only the carbohydra­tes do-so there is no reason to curtail them in any way"

location 3064 Why we Get Fat

which is utterly ridiculous, here's some links and studies i posted in another GCBC thread

McLaughlin T, et al. Difference­s in insulin resistance do not predict weight loss in response to hypocalori­c diets in healthy obese women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinol­ogy & Metabolism­, 1999; 84 (2): 578-581.

de Luis DA, et al. Difference­s in glycaemic status do not predict weight loss in response to hypocalori­c diets in obese patients. Clinical Nutrition, Feb 2006; 25 (1): 117-122.

Due A, et al. No effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in hyperinsul­inaemic obese subjects during an 8-week weight-los­s diet. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism­, Jul 2007; 9 (4): 566-574.

also here are some interestin­g reads on Taubes

http://rea­son.com/ar­chives/200­3/03/01/bi­g-fat-fake

http://www­.weightyma­tters.ca/2­011/01/boo­k-review-g­ary-taubes­-why-we-ge­t-fat.html

http://car­bsanity.bl­ogspot.com­/2010/10/u­pdate-gary­-taubes-em­ail-my-res­ponse.html

I don't exactly know what you're trying to argue. You want to discredit his whole book based on a few excerpts and a few blogs that have been posted. Who's cherry picking again?

If you don't believe what he says, cool. There is tons of great information that has done a lot of good to people who process carbs different from the way that you do.
  • Acg67
    Options

I don't exactly know what you're trying to argue. You want to discredit his whole book based on a few excerpts and a few blogs that have been posted. Who's cherry picking again?

His whole book is based on that only CHO makes you fat, which is incorrect. I've posted a few peer reviewed, controlled studies that show his theories on CHO, insulin and weight loss/gain are misinformed. If people are getting healthier and losing weight due to dropping carbs, that's great. But to beleive that only CHO makes people fat is just ignorant
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options

His whole book is based on that only CHO makes you fat, which is incorrect. I've posted a few peer reviewed, controlled studies that show his theories on CHO, insulin and weight loss/gain are misinformed. If people are getting healthier and losing weight due to dropping carbs, that's great. But to beleive that only CHO makes people fat is just ignorant
    i support this post
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

He even has a couple slides on how insulin resistant/insulin sensitive people react to different types of diets (starts at 38:15).

Is it so hard to believe that some people do get fat with carbs?
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Ok. I get that Lyle has an axe to grind with WWGF - but I can't seem to find the study he thinks Taubes is basing all of his data on. Can you please point it out to me? That's what I was asking above - guess I should have worded my question differently. I'm not interested in Lyle's cherry-picking of Taubes' book - I'd prefer to read it, in the book, and look at the study myself. If that's Lyle's take home message from Taubes' book, he has a reading comprehension problem.

I don't have time to read the other articles at the moment - I'll get back to you on that.
  • Acg67
    Options

not at all,but they get fat not because of the CHO but overall caloric intake
    Ok. I get that Lyle has an axe to grind with WWGF - but I can't seem to find the study he thinks Taubes is basing all of his data on. Can you please point it out to me?

the only reason Lyle has issues with WWGF is the ridiculous claims Taubes makes, Lyle is actually a pretty big proponent of ketogenic diets and wrote a very informed book on the topic.

As for studies about the obese and self reported intakes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20010905
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7594141
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7918325
    Page 3 of this pdf
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bray-review-of-gcbc.pdf
  • labgirl3
    Options
    Have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

He even has a couple slides on how insulin resistant/insulin sensitive people react to different types of diets (starts at 38:15).

Interesting video! I'm only a little way through (I started at about 30:00 - will go back and watch the entire thing soon), but noticed that his first insulin sensitivity slide was from the same researcher (McLaughlin) who wrote an article that Acg67 linked to in his previous post. Also interesting is that Gardner's slide at the 43:00 mark that says that people who are insulin resistant show a higher benefit (weight loss) from Atkins compared to low-fat. And of course, his comment at the end:
    You have to realize what a bitter pill this was to swallow for a 25 year vegetarian - that Atkins did better than the other diets.

:laugh:
  • labgirl3
    Options
    the only reason Lyle has issues with WWGF is the ridiculous claims Taubes makes, Lyle is actually a pretty big proponent of ketogenic diets and wrote a very informed book on the topic.

As for studies about the obese and self reported intakes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20010905
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7594141
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7918325
    Page 3 of this pdf
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bray-review-of-gcbc.pdf

*facepalm*

I'm not asking for those studies, nor do I doubt that they exist, or that obese people underestimate calories. All I want is for you (or anyone) to point out where Taubes is using the erroneous studies in his book, Why We Get Fat. You and TK41 and Lyle are all saying that Taubes' entire book is based off this one bad study - only I can't seem to find it mentioned in his book. Perhaps you could show me?

Oy.

Edited to add that I'm familiar with Lyle and have a couple of his ebooks, even though I find him an insufferable pr*ck. He is a smart guy, but also prone to cherry picking. Quite honestly, unless you have the means to conduct your own large scale, controlled, double-blind, clinical nutrition trials, you *have* to cherry pick from the available articles.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I cannot say the study I am about to present is the actual study. However, there is a study that I have come across that sounds similar to what I have been reading here as to why Taubes is correctly/incorrectly referring to (so take it with a grain of carbs).

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/4/905.full.pdf+html

As people (doctors, diet gurus, etc) interpret studies differently, here is what I learned from the study, as per Jeff Novick--and that is calorie density vs calorie dilute and the probability to overeat calorie dense foods. As foods per pound (as we can have a constant factor in calories) can help us determine whether or not we are likely to consume in abundance. He gives the example of broccoli being 120 calories per pound and olive oil being 4000 calories per pound. He says that even a table spoon of olive oil has more calories than a pound of broccoli. So is there such a thing as good calories and bad calories? I would rather frame the question as there is such a thing as bad carbs and good carbs and what we should be focusing on is choosing unrefined carbs (less processed) and calorie dilute carbs.

As Novick points out, healthy carbs gives us, not only energy but vitamins C & E, carotenoids, phytochemicals, magnesium, potassium, B-vitamins, and trace minerals.

I think we need carbs!
  • Acg67
    Options
    yes, lyle can be quite the prick to people but he is no doubt knowledgeable. i tend to follow people like him, alan aragon, leigh peele etc

"Lean people will often insist that the secret to their success is eating in moderation, but many fat people insist that they eat no more than the lean – surprising as it seems, the evidence backs this up – and yet are fat nonetheless. As the National Academy of Sciences report Diet and Health phrased it, “Most studies comparing normal and overweight people suggest that those who are overweight eat fewer calories than those of normal weight.” Researchers and public-health officials nonetheless insist that obesity is caused by overeating, without attempting to explain how these two notions can be reconciled.

location 4429 in my kindle of GCBC

"Mayer knew that the obese often eat no more than the lean, and often even less"

location 4989 GCBC

"Even if it could be established that all obese individuals eat more than do the lean - which they don't "

location 5626

he lists the source for the first study as "NRC 1989:583" location 9275

he uses all this to support his statement that overeating is not the cause of obesity but of course it's the evil CHO
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    <snip>

he uses all this to support his statement that overeating is not the cause of obesity but of course it's the evil CHO

It's fine to say that carbs are bad, I also qualify carbs as well (unrefined, unprocessed foods that have bulk or has a lot of fiber and/or water). I would also point out that water (volume and weight but has no calories) can also satisfy your hunger. Ultimately, it comes down to the amount of calories someone consumes. When I started with MFP, I became aware that because of my calorie restriction, I needed to get the most "bang for my calories." I didn't want to binge, I wanted to get enough nutrients and I wanted to lose weight without getting sick from e coli or mercury poisoning or have a lactose reaction and not over consume (esp. sodium and sugar).

But even your gurus eat vegetable and fruit. To say they don't means they are not receiving natural sources of vitamins and minerals.

I think Taubes and Lyle and the people I follow all agree that natural sources of carbs are good--there is no getting around this. That overconsumption of refined carbs (which they imply is really an overconsumption of calories) is bad--and to that point, I agree.

If we examine each macronutrient, we know they are important in their own respect. The question is, how are we consuming them.

There is a study, a well funded and well acknowledged study, I will post the recommendations that came out of the study. It is from the World's Research and Cancer Foundation.

http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/downloads/BARRELFOLD2_WCRF.pdf

If you want the main site: http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/?p=er&JServSessionIdr004=cey4m7vrv3.app244a

Here you see they recommend a plant based (carbs) diet to help discourage cancer growth. However, and more importantly, they recommend that everyone be a certain weight range. So, as Novick argues, the discussion is no longer good fat, bad fat, percentage fat but achieving a weight that discourages sickness. So how to get attain nutrition, feeling satisfied and lose weight or maintain weight?
  • labgirl3
    Options
    yes, lyle can be quite the prick to people but he is no doubt knowledgeable. i tend to follow people like him, alan aragon, leigh peele etc

"Lean people will often insist that the secret to their success is eating in moderation, but many fat people insist that they eat no more than the lean – surprising as it seems, the evidence backs this up – and yet are fat nonetheless. As the National Academy of Sciences report Diet and Health phrased it, “Most studies comparing normal and overweight people suggest that those who are overweight eat fewer calories than those of normal weight.” Researchers and public-health officials nonetheless insist that obesity is caused by overeating, without attempting to explain how these two notions can be reconciled.

location 4429 in my kindle of GCBC

"Mayer knew that the obese often eat no more than the lean, and often even less"

location 4989 GCBC

"Even if it could be established that all obese individuals eat more than do the lean - which they don't "

location 5626

he lists the source for the first study as "NRC 1989:583" location 9275

Ah - that explains it. I don't have GCBC. I don't remember this study popping up in WWGF at all (which was why I was so baffled when a couple of you said the entire book was based on this study) so perhaps he took it out? I know that a search doesn't turn it up.
  • labgirl3
    Options

So, as Novick argues, the discussion is no longer good fat, bad fat, percentage fat but achieving a weight that discourages sickness. So how to get attain nutrition, feeling satisfied and lose weight or maintain weight?

On this point, we definitely agree! I give credit to Taubes for convincing me that fat (even saturated fat) isn't the evil we've been led to believe, nor are whole grains the panacea. Even he admits in WWGF that low carb = generally reduced calorie intake. For me, that's the key. I am not relying on my willpower with a low carb diet - I simply am not interested in cookies and rolls, and I'm not always hungry. Obviously, YMMV.

I will say that I spent 7 years as a vegetarian, and did a few months as a vegan. 6 weeks into veganhood, I was having severe gall bladder attacks and had to have it removed. My cholesterol, blood pressure and triglycerides were higher than they were after 2 months on a primal / paleo low carb diet.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    bump, i miss the debate!
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    humans are omnivores...just sayin
  • kbrown1171
    Options
    I have been eating low carb for a while now. There is NO way I can be totally carb free. FIrst of all I'm not creative enough to find enough food to satisfy me. Secondly, if I don't have some carbs to balance out all my protein I tend to have my blood sugar drop too low and I feel a bit crappy. Carbs are not bad. You just need to know what kinds to eat and how to incorporate them into your diet in a way that works for you. I'm 20 pounds down so I think I'm doing ok.
  • dashbeaujippers
    dashbeaujippers Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find that whole wheat cous cous, pearled barley, farro, and bulgar go a long way to keep me satisfied and functioning properly. When on low carb diets in the past, I would go through these horriable mood swings if I didn't eat every 3 or 4 hours. Sure, the low carb thing worked for a little while, ( a few months for me) but when I eat whole grains and a lot of fresh veggies and fruits, and lean protein, I notice that I don't get so "crazy" if I can't eat 'on time'. I understand that everyone is different, and there are different strokes for different folks---- so to speak---- but, this is what has been working for me, and I have never felt better, while losing weight.
    Hope it helps! Good luck to all! :smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

So, as Novick argues, the discussion is no longer good fat, bad fat, percentage fat but achieving a weight that discourages sickness. So how to get attain nutrition, feeling satisfied and lose weight or maintain weight?

On this point, we definitely agree! I give credit to Taubes for convincing me that fat (even saturated fat) isn't the evil we've been led to believe, nor are whole grains the panacea. Even he admits in WWGF that low carb = generally reduced calorie intake. For me, that's the key. I am not relying on my willpower with a low carb diet - I simply am not interested in cookies and rolls, and I'm not always hungry. Obviously, YMMV.

I will say that I spent 7 years as a vegetarian, and did a few months as a vegan. 6 weeks into veganhood, I was having severe gall bladder attacks and had to have it removed. My cholesterol, blood pressure and triglycerides were higher than they were after 2 months on a primal / paleo low carb diet.

Exactly. This nation is being told that grains are more important than fruits and veggies. We are being told that fat causes heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes and this is all a load of crap. When you drop the carbs (grain carbs and sugars) from the diet and increase the fat and protein it is impossible to overeat. Those refined grains and sugars keep you hungry (I used to think it was hunger but turned out to be the blood sugar crash).
    Yet 366 million of us are diabetic and it's costing the health care system $4.6billion per year to fight it. Obviously the dietary guidelines is not working. When our diet became about money and politics our health ceased to matter.