Serious Questions Only Thread

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    AriesFL wrote: »
    How do you get World Peace?

Ship everyone to Mars and only allow those with teeth, nice boobs and can spell their names to remain

Your option is slightly better than mine, which is to just turn it all to glass and hope life moves on without humanity, but... my way is equality for everyone. Everyone is equally dead. :lol:
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    If he's getting OP's # I want it also.for scientific reasons only

a0bgxf3xe9pk.gif
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Shadowsan wrote: »
    TarryTaffy wrote: »
    LiftNRiot wrote: »
    A girl who is friend at work yesterday said I have a type A personality. Is that good or bad? What is type A?

From Wiki: "Type A individuals... outgoing, ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, impatient, anxious, proactive, and concerned with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics"

Some say it as a negative, implying aggressiveness & pushy, me-first qualities. There are those unbridled Type As, but not all are unpleasant to be around.

Most of us Type As are leaders, achievers & talk fast, walk fast, think fast. I don't take it as an insult. I am Type A.

Don't pigeonhole yourselves.

Everyone has different personality traits - people like to put "types" to them because it's their way of rationalising the world to suit their way of thinking (and often make learning about people less effort because they're lazy).

Take time to understand each other :wink:

giphy.gif

I get your point, but, I didn't make up the "system", was just explaining it. Those called Type A are often accused of possessing negative quality traits. I was explaining they don't have to be.

I don't know how the OP's friend meant the comment... maybe she's pigeonholing, or not. Descriptives don't necessarily need to be judgmental.

Course, I wasn't saying you were - i'm just pointing out that categorisation of people is a construct made up to make it easier to generalise and judge - I know you were just helping answer the question :smile:

Thank you for your clarification. :smile:

To your last point on judging, does that necessarily have to be bad? From an evolutionary POV or just ensuring personal safety, determining friend from foe can be a life or death situation. We all judge our situations & assess when entering into what could be vulnerable situations.

I'd have to look up the definition of judge, as it often has a negative connotation, but if asked a few q's about background, it also can be positive in knowing how to approach a person & establish rapport. I like people to be comfortable with me & don't want to say something that might be considered off-putting. A joke I might tell you wouldn't be told if in the presence of an elderly woman who might take offense. I'm judging her by determining she perhaps wouldn't appreciate that particular brand of humor, but others might think I'm judging her to be humorless.

Although, a co-worker saying one is a control freak doesn't sound as if that's being said in a positive way, but it depends on the relationship. I wouldn't have the trust to reveal to a co-worker that I'd be considering taking meds, but maybe the reverse reveals more of a trusting friendship than just being mere co-workers.

Is judging always negative?
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    A girl who is friend at work yesterday said I have a type A personality. Is that good or bad? What is type A?

From Wiki: "Type A individuals... outgoing, ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, impatient, anxious, proactive, and concerned with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics"

Some say it as a negative, implying aggressiveness & pushy, me-first qualities. There are those unbridled Type As, but not all are unpleasant to be around.

Most of us Type As are leaders, achievers & talk fast, walk fast, think fast. I don't take it as an insult. I am Type A.

Everyone has different personality traits - people like to put "types" to them because it's their way of rationalising the world to suit their way of thinking (and often make learning about people less effort because they're lazy).

giphy.gif

I get your point, but, I didn't make up the "system", was just explaining it. Those called Type A are often accused of possessing negative quality traits. I was explaining they don't have to be.

I don't know how the OP's friend meant the comment... maybe she's pigeonholing, or not. Descriptives don't necessarily need to be judgmental.

Course, I wasn't saying you were - i'm just pointing out that categorisation of people is a construct made up to make it easier to generalise and judge - I know you were just helping answer the question :smile:

To your last point on judging, does that necessarily have to be bad? From an evolutionary POV or just ensuring personal safety, determining friend from foe can be a life or death situation. We all judge our situations & assess when entering into what could be vulnerable situations.

I'd have to look up the definition of judge, as it often has a negative connotation, but if asked a few q's about background, it also can be positive in knowing how to approach a person & establish rapport. I like people to be comfortable with me & don't want to say something that might be considered off-putting. A joke I might tell you wouldn't be told if in the presence of an elderly woman who might take offense. I'm judging her by determining she perhaps wouldn't appreciate that particular brand of humor, but others might think I'm judging her to be humorless.

Although, a co-worker saying one is a control freak doesn't sound as if that's being said in a positive way, but it depends on the relationship. I wouldn't have the trust to reveal to a co-worker that I'd be considering taking meds, but maybe the reverse reveals more of a trusting friendship than just being mere co-workers.

Judging is good, judging unfairly is bad.
  • isalsayourface123
    bojack5 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Who determines if it's unfair tho? What code or morals do you universally go by?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member

giphy.gif

Who determines if it's unfair tho? What code or morals do you universally go by?

I am judging you. Right now. So learn to code.
  • bojack5

giphy.gif

Judging someone without knowing them, strictly by their race, gender, sexual orientation, social standing etc......i believe are examples of unfair.
  • isalsayourface123

giphy.gif

Judging someone without knowing them, strictly by their race, gender, sexual orientation, social standing etc......i believe are examples of unfair.

But making judgments and assumptions for other reasons are ok?
  • isalsayourface123
    SwannySez wrote: »

giphy.gif

I am judging you. Right now. So learn to code.

P/=÷4.7###*)
  • bojack5
    edited January 2020

giphy.gif

No....i gave examples, i did not say it was the end all be all. Assumptions in general are not usually a good thing because to me that seems like assuming is a decision based on lack of information. I think judging is imperative in leading a decent life, but based on facts and direct experience. I live life with its a, its good until its not philosophy for the most part. I dont pre judge without gathering information....but once i have, if i feel something or someone does not add to the quality of my life, than i will pass judgement that they or it needs to be removed......same as if i judge it or them to be positive, than i try to hold on to that. It can be subjective, other opinions on what is right or wrong for them can vary.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Yeah, I guess it all comes down to situations. IMO, we all judge others everyday.

* We choose friends based on our own value judgments.
    * We decide which functions to attend, even with family, based on judgments & past experiences.
    * We judge the ruckus group of < insert any & all descriptives here > walking towards us in a dark parking lot in an effort to assess safety, based on past experiences & level of fear for varying reasons.
    * We give or don't give spare change to someone who has asked us, based on judgments.
    * When someone asks us for a favor, we judge if they really need it & if we really wish to do it.

Judgment is good in those respects & so many more. It's a similar synonym to common sense, in my view. When it crosses into prejudice only because someone belongs to a specific group, then it can be considered negative, as others suggested, but that's the other end of the pendulum. Excluding extremes, I still assert that we judge many things everyday, including which food we'll eat, some we haven't tried, but decide to exclude for personal reasons.

Further, I think we're all prejudiced in some way, as well. There are a couple of actors I cannot watch because they remind me of an ex-bf, who was particularly awful & irl, I'd not date anyone who reminded me of him. Is that judgment & prejudice? Sure, but I don't don't believe Actor A's career will come crashing down cuz I don't go to see his films cuz I don't like his face & the lad I chose not to have coffee with will just move onto the next... I sincerely doubt I'm destroying lives with my judgments or need to apologize that I'm not wanting to give that guy a chance. It doesn't really matter to either of our lives in any extreme way.

Well, this is all an interesting discussion that's been carried on for generations, but I think most of us are on the same page, we just express it differently.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Yeah, I guess it all comes down to situations. IMO, we all judge others everyday.

* We choose friends based on our own value judgments.
    * We decide which functions to attend, even with family, based on judgments & past experiences.
    * We judge the ruckus group of < insert any & all descriptives here > walking towards us in a dark parking lot in an effort to assess safety, based on past experiences & level of fear for varying reasons.
    * We give or don't give spare change to someone who has asked us, based on judgments.
    * When someone asks us for a favor, we judge if they really need it & if we really wish to do it.

Judgment is good in those respects & so many more. It's a similar synonym to common sense, in my view. When it crosses into prejudice only because someone belongs to a specific group, then it can be considered negative, as others suggested, but that's the other end of the pendulum. Excluding extremes, I still assert that we judge many things everyday, including which food we'll eat, some we haven't tried, but decide to exclude for personal reasons.

Further, I think we're all prejudiced in some way, as well. There are a couple of actors I cannot watch because they remind me of an ex-bf, who was particularly awful & irl, I'd not date anyone who reminded me of him. Is that judgment & prejudice? Sure, but I don't don't believe Actor A's career will come crashing down cuz I don't go to see his films cuz I don't like his face & the lad I chose not to have coffee with will just move onto the next... I sincerely doubt I'm destroying lives with my judgments or need to apologize that I'm not wanting to give that guy a chance. It doesn't really matter to either of our lives in any extreme way.

Well, this is all an interesting discussion that's been carried on for generations, but I think most of us are on the same page, we just express it differently.

Judging happens everywhere, whether we intend to or not.

I guess the difference is whether we not only judge, but generalise and make snap judgements on people based on criteria - And that often leads to discrimination really.

There's loads of ways we can judge each other - hell, even recognising that someone spells something wrong is a judgement - but some judgements (and snap judgements) are harsher than others and trying to categorise people is probably one of those ways.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Raindrops keep falling on my head.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

giphy.gif

Who determines if it's unfair tho?

giphy.gif
  • isalsayourface123
    Why do birds suddenly appear, every time, you are near?

I carry bird seed in my pockets.
  • isalsayourface123
    s131951 wrote: »
    Raindrops keep falling on my head.

This is not a question.
  • isalsayourface123

giphy.gif

No....i gave examples, i did not say it was the end all be all. Assumptions in general are not usually a good thing because to me that seems like assuming is a decision based on lack of information. I think judging is imperative in leading a decent life, but based on facts and direct experience. I live life with its a, its good until its not philosophy for the most part. I dont pre judge without gathering information....but once i have, if i feel something or someone does not add to the quality of my life, than i will pass judgement that they or it needs to be removed......same as if i judge it or them to be positive, than i try to hold on to that. It can be subjective, other opinions on what is right or wrong for them can vary.

I judge your judging 😁
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Why is Kerberos such a pain in the backside to get working with Linux?