40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Is 69 too old to join this group? Feel like 45!!!

I think all are welcome here. I'm 65 and they haven't run me off. HAHA! :D
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Sagi's Exclusives Equipment Room: Back & Shoulders"=Done!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have been good at getting in most of my workouts this month...last night's combat was particularly fun and today I feel way less sore than I did yesterday, so that's a win all around!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Brute Force Operator Series Alpha 23! 60#! Outside! It’s a little nippy out. 🤘🥶
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    sdereski wrote: »
    Went back to classes last night. There was a new instructor who also does personal training (lifting!). We are scheduled to meet tomorrow before class. Yay! This young man used to compete in body building and has gotten his trainers certification. Maybe, just maybe this guy might work out for me. So excited! Not that I want to get into body building competitions, but I do want to continue to strength train properly.

I remember when I was super-duper excited about strength-training....I want to get re-connected with that "feeling"...and QUICKLY!

Mind you, after 5 months of tough-tough workload and heavy hours, I am FINALLY coming down with a horrid head-cold. I know it is horrid because my teenager came down with it on Saturday and my husband on Sunday and I've been watching the horror of it inside my house....hoping that I did not fall ill. But, I did.

I hear ya - I hadn't worked out in almost 6 months, other than some hiking. Did 5 days in a row this past week. :)

• chavezjm196908
    chavezjm196908 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sign me up!! I'm 50yo and have dropped 50lbs. I have 60 more to reach goal. I walk on my treadmill and do resistance bands for now. I want to buy a rowing machine in the near future. Also, I track calories.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, I had a lot of squats and deficit deadlifts today. Welcome all newbies.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Chest/Tris"=Done!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be eating at maintenance, but have managed to lose half a pound...not gonna complain!
  • LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Havnt worked out in months. Trying to get back it. Lost 10 to 15 lbs since then. Feel small and weak and fatter. Hoping MFP gets me motivated a little.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hi Kids,
    Welcome NOOBs. Also great to see the regulars back at it.

Week one of my training build had some ups and downs. No swimming last week due to a lingering ear infection, but my bike work was solid. I even took advantage of mild temps on Saturday to do my 2hr ride outdoors. It was great to get outside after months off indoor riding!

Yesterday's run was a real dose of humility. After a year of no running and carrying some extra lbs, the 45 min run was a real slog. But I'm one run closer to where I want to be. Fourteen weeks until race day. :)
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    Brute Force Operator Series Alpha 25! “The Kraken” (yes, that’s what they call it...LOL!)!!! 60#!!! Again with the “not my best time or numbers”, but maintained form throughout...even though I hit the wall at about half way. For the bag swings, I kept the 60#er but grabbed it by the side handles. Felt MUCH better on that left arm.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym last Saturday. Did the usual stretching and lifting. Since I didn't have to go to work, I added some lunges and tire flips for fun. Then went home and took the dog for a 3 mile walk. No surprise - I was very sore on Sunday.

It's Tuesday and the soreness is finally dissipating. HAHA! A good lesson for this old man. Ease back into additional exercise. Hope you all are having an awesome day!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    Well, sdereski, you have to be my inspiration! And caramel, too. ...and the uber-regularity of gam3rguy, too.

I have packed my gym bag for tomorrow. With my weight-training shoes and my binder with workouts to mark-up.

I have to just start. And each day it will get a bit easier and then I will remember how much FUN weight-lifting can be and watching the weights go back UP will also make me feel better.
  • caramelgyrlk
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all is well. lots of bench press, pause, speed and floor, and my favorite...block and deficit deadlifts. Does anyone have upcoming events that they'd like to share? Have a great night kids
  • LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Body is super sore and I barely lifted any weights this week. Starting out slow because I know how sore I'll get if I go hard. Sucks taking a break from lifting. So hard to gain and so easy to lose. Lost the drive to work out last year because the only time I can work out is at 4 in the morning while daughter sleeps. So I'm in bed when she goes to bed, then up early every morning and getting on avg 6 hours of sleep. That and stresses of being a single dad eventually I just didnt want to work out. But I'm back at it and hope I can keep it up.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Back/Bis"=Done!
  • seatomfly
    seatomfly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I’m 42 and in the need of losing a lot of weight. This yr goal is to just stay active.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Looking at the big hill I have to climb this winter to regain race fitness, and reading other Cool Kids' posts about how hard re-starting can be, reminds me of the message my coach put in this week's training plan: "Remember, there's no prize for Winning January! DON'T push too hard too soon and risk injury. We'll get where we want to be, it will just take some time." I need to write that message on my forehead!

@caramelgyrlk , looks like you are "in the zone" as usual. I have no lifting events to share of course, but my first "event" is the South Beach Olympic tri in Miami in April. It will be tough duty: Swim in the ocean off South Beach, ride my bike over the Miami causeways, then run through the Art Deco district to the finish line on the beach. We'll then "recover" from the race by taking a couple days to rehydrate in Little Havana before returning home. ;)

• caramelgyrlk
    Options
    This ole girl took a hot yoga class and officially exhausted. Keep up the great work kids.