Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bagels or doughnuts?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Bagel, every single time! Preferably an Onion Bagel, with Marmite melting into it’s lightly toasted inner. 🥯
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Bagel for me, pumpernickel...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The bagel will keep you fuller especially with the toppings....the donut wont fill a hole for more than half an hour - that's what I find anyway, they're just a sugar hit.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Bagel every time - Doughnuts just do nothing for me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    tku6tz933jj4.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Bagel each and every time. Bagel can easily be made into something sweet that will resemble a doughnut.

Meh. A bagel that can resemble a doughnut (other than visually, which I'm assuming is not what you meant) is not a good bagel. A doughnut should not be chewy. A bagel should not be pillowy soft.

See my reply above. Nothing to do with texture.

OK. I've been to known to use Nutella for my schmear on occasion.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I'd say bagel, but I'd need more than 300 calories because Peanut Butter.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    I prefer savoury over sweet, so bagel for me. I love it just toasted and buttered, though I won't say no to a layer of herb garlic cream cheese.
  • rosie5456
    rosie5456 Posts: 18 Member
    You know, if it is a nice soft multigrain bagel, yes please, and hold the cream cheese. Donuts are a fave of mine as well.... So I am conflicted on what I would choose.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Donut. A good fresh chocolate long john or glazed donut or even a bag full of donut holes and I am in heaven. Bagels are nice, but I prefer the fluffy, fried goodness of a donut.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2020
    I like them both. Plain or whole wheat/honey wheat Bagel with garden vegetable cream cheese with fresh fruit works better for lunch. Also, those little pizza bagel bites can be quite addictive. Doughnuts would be preferred for breakfast. The ones with strawberry icing and sprinkles are great!
    A - bagels
    B - doughnuts
    C - all of the above

C) for me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Donut. A good fresh chocolate long john or glazed donut or even a bag full of donut holes and I am in heaven. Bagels are nice, but I prefer the fluffy, fried goodness of a donut.

We need a drool button.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Depends what I feel like

Fresh warm bagels form the local Montreal style bagel place are amazing
    Then again a freshly made donut is delicious.

Basically I'll take either
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    1st choice is an everything bagel. 2nd choice is a blueberry donut. After that, I don't really care.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Hard question
    Chocolate donuts or a blt bagel

I'd probably choose blt more filling
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,946 Member
    For today's indulgence, I went ALL OUT.

Everything bagel with lox the way the shop likes to make it.

ho2zrluhb0ar.jpg

Schmear of cream cheese (although I think they could use a bit less), tomato, generous portion of REALLY GOOD LOX, red onion, green onion, and capers. Since there was already too much cream cheese, a little more fat wasn't going to hurt, so I sprinkled on some of the little crispy crunchy cheese bits that fall off the cheese bagels and bake on the oven floor. They have a bowl out for customer use that they call cheese sprinkles. They also have a bowl of what they call "everything sprinkles," and that's what it sounds like - little bits from all the flavors that fall off before they get baked. That includes garlic, onion, salt, sesame seed, and poppy seed. They don't put raisins, jalapenos, or cheese on the everything bagels, but the do put cheese on the fire sticks (jalapeno dough with cheddar, but stick shaped not round).

I need not say again, if given the choice of ONE, either bagel or doughnut, I'd walk right past the doughnut. I feel so sad for those here that would be unable to choose. You will go hungry while the rest of us get ONE choice :wink:
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Let's say you have 300 calories to spend and you want something round with a hole in the middle made from flour.

Bagel, or doughnut?

My favorite bagel shop shut down about two decades ago. They just opened back up in November! I go once or twice a week. Nothing like a good, fresh bagel. It doesn't even need to be toasted.

Of course if you add cream cheese you're probably looking at a lot MORE calories, but also some healthy fat and some protein.

When people bring doughnuts to work, I have a relatively easy time avoiding them. Not my fave. But my colleague brought in some bagels the other day, and.... Yeah. I had to.

My vote: Bagel EVERY time. sg5xhszogkp3.jpg

Bagel, because my favourite are the thin variety—I can eat two for the calories of a regular one if I *really* wanted to.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Bagel avocado toast on the regular, donut on rare special occasions.