Calories in vs out

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Which US are you in. I'm in the middle of the US and we have metric on every package here.
    My food scale is always on grams as well, unless my wife changes it to oz.

Metric is infinitely easier than ounces, quarts, pints, cups, gills, hogsheads, or bushels.
    72 days. I think some of the other posters may be out of country since there are references to grams. Since we don’t have the metric system in US it is just easier to track in ounces, cups and teaspoons. Grams are listed on all of the packages but then more work to convert.

my us also has metric on the packaging as well
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    I can't think of a scale in recent memory that wouldn't have the option to change from oz to grams. And if it couldn't I would be really concerned about the granularity of that scale given that an oz is 28.35g and that in order to be approximately accurate to 1/16 of an oz a scale would have to be accurate to AT LEAST 2g.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Maybe she has an old style balance scale where you put the cast iron or brass weights on one end and the ingredients in the brass pan on the other end!

I still have the weights (and maybe even the scale itself) in the loft! Just never saw the point of sourcing a set of weights in grams so entered the 20th century at some point in the late 80’s! 😂
  • natalyax777
    natalyax777 Posts: 5 Member
    I actually had this problem too and after spending hours on the web, researching possible issues, I realized that what I’ve been doing is eating too little. I used to eat like 2 bigger meals a day and didn’t snack, but my calories were around 900 a day. My habits were like this over years and years, and this is bad because if you’re not getting enough food, your body starts to go into starvation mode and will hold onto everything it can and consume less calories to work throughout the day. Kind of like your body is hibernating for the winter. Which means all those calories you think you’re burning, you’re actually not because your metabolism is lower than it should be. To get out of this mode, you’ve got to eat at least 1200 calories a day and spread it out so that every few hours or so you’re having 100-200 calories of food. So that your body never feels hungry.

So if you think this might be your problem, because so many people think eating less is better when trying to get healthy and lose weight, then don’t do it. Also foods high protein will make you feel more full than carbs, so if you’re having problems feeling satisfied on 1200ish calories a day, try finding foods higher in protein.
  • natalyax777
    natalyax777 Posts: 5 Member
    And now I just realized that this post was super old and people only resurrected it for the grams in the US conversation. Lol. Oh well, my thoughts are there for others as well!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Be weary of any calculation for calories burned on any device.

My fitbit tells me I burn about 3200 a day. I eat 1800 a day, I lose 1lb or so per week. That's with tracking everything that goes in my mouth and weighing everything. If my Fitbit were right I'd be losing 2+lbs per week.

Using Katch-Mcardle I should lose 1lb per week eating 2000. That's a lot closer.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    also starvation mode isn't a think

increase in hormones due to lack of food and body downregulating burn in periods of prolonged caloric reduction - but not starvation mode

Tell me more on this cuz I'm curious,I have a friend who's ALWAYS sick,she's addicted to opioids and hardly eats but she's overweight,I always wonder how she never loses anything is it the drugs? Lack of activity? Slower metabolism? I always think of "starvation mode" (even though I know it's not real) when I look at her🤔
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Could be all of the above, I know she says she barely eats cuz her stomach is always hurting but who knows what goes on at her home late at night, was just curious thanks for the replies
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    also starvation mode isn't a think

increase in hormones due to lack of food and body downregulating burn in periods of prolonged caloric reduction - but not starvation mode

Tell me more on this cuz I'm curious,I have a friend who's ALWAYS sick,she's addicted to opioids and hardly eats but she's overweight,I always wonder how she never loses anything is it the drugs? Lack of activity? Slower metabolism? I always think of "starvation mode" (even though I know it's not real) when I look at her🤔

Does she drink things that have calories (including alcohol)?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Could be all of the above, I know she says she barely eats cuz her stomach is always hurting but who knows what goes on at her home late at night, was just curious thanks for the replies

Someone's stomach can hurt for a lot of reasons other than not eating. Have you urged her to see a doctor?
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Great input from other posters on the need to weigh food. Also keeping measuring cups and measuring spoons handy is a must. For Example: 1 tbs peanut butter is 94 calories, 1 tbs Olive Oil is 119 calories and 1 tbs mayonaise is 94 calories. And 1 cup of spaghetti is 210 calories. Without measuring it would be easy to eat more calories than your diet would allow.

Except for the oil - those examples are all great reasons why measuring is NOT a must - but weighing is.
    Especially the peanut butter and spaghetti.

Calories is per gram - not cups or spoons volumes.

There are 15 grams in a Tbsp. Most nutrition labels accomodate both grams and cups or whatever. If a person is going by the nutrition label then the measure of a serving doesn't really matter does it? It is whatever measure is stated on the label...am I missing something?