What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Plain cream cheese is gross
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Mac and cheese. horrible vile stuff.

I think well-made homemade mac and cheese is really good, but it's not something I ever make so I only eat it if someone else does. It's never been a Thanksgiving staple for us, but some years ago my sister's SO's brother-in-law was a chef at a soul food restaurant, and the SO would always bring some of the b-i-l's mac and cheese to our Thanksgiving, and it was great.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I think well-made homemade mac and cheese is really good, but it's not something I ever make so I only eat it if someone else does. It's never been a Thanksgiving staple for us, but some years ago my sister's SO's brother-in-law was a chef at a soul food restaurant, and the SO would always bring some of the b-i-l's mac and cheese to our Thanksgiving, and it was great.

Come on over, I'll make you a mean homemade mac and cheese. It's the dish I bring to holidays, lol.
  • kellisng
    kellisng Posts: 9 Member
    Cheese is disgusting and smells like feet!
  • lemurcat2

Come on over, I'll make you a mean homemade mac and cheese. It's the dish I bring to holidays, lol.

You can come to my holiday meals!
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Olives are gross... no matter what the color, shape, pitted or un-pitted. Nasty!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

I actually prefer Kraft mac and cheese 9I never have it, but still) over homemade. homemade is WAY too rich
  • pancakerunner

Agree for the most part.. Pasta in general.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

Yes, homemade mac and cheese, mmmmm. I use the Joy of Cooking recipe and add chorizo and green peas.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

I actually prefer Kraft mac and cheese 9I never have it, but still) over homemade. homemade is WAY too rich

Yes...the ones I've ever had are way too 'creamy' - like you said 'way too rich'. I only like the almost burnt/crunchy part on top...if one exists
  • kshama2001
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    I can't remember if I posted this already or not (I probably did, in November-ish)...but I think the typical (for my area) Thanksgiving spread is ALL pretty gross/unappealing -- or at the best, totally meh...

Turkey :#
    Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese
    Mashed potatoes with brown gravy
    Green bean casserole :s
    Sweet potato casseroles with lots of sugar/marshmallows/nuts

Also it's usually followed up with pumpkin pie and apple pie. The 2 least appealing of all pies (at least for me, a pie lover).

This is a very good unpopular opinion. Near epitome.

Green bean casserole was voted worst thanksgiving dish in American for a reason

A very amusing moment in my life was when I decided to make a real food imitation of classic green been casserole for a potluck Thanksgiving (fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, bechamel, caramelised fresh onions, toasted/buttered bread crumbs). Someone else brought the classic version (canned beans, Campbell's condensed mushroom soup, canned fried onions).

Results?

LOL: You decide! :lol::lol::lol:

I've always used fresh green beans and for years have been using Pacific or Whole Foods cream of mushroom soup. This year, my mom insisted I make the mushroom soup from scratch. I did this the day before - it was way too mushroomy for me so I made two casseroles - one with the homemade soup and one with the store bought. I loved the store bought soup casserole and mushroom fans loved the other one.
  • kshama2001

Well, homemade is certainly caloric...but delish!

Oh, lately I've been adding cauliflower to bulk it up some, mashing up my JOC recipe and this one https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2018/10/01/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-recipe/
  • RelCanonical

I don't think I've met a food I think is too rich, haha.
  • pancakerunner

For me it's just pasta dishes... too heavy!
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2020
    Pasta dishes vary enormously in how rich they are, so that does not compute (but it might be unpopular!).

I like a wide variety of pasta dishes, but something like pasta topped with a variety of vegetables sauteed with some shrimp and olive oil, or even a arrabiata style sauce or, say, a meat sauce made with tomato sauce, ground beef, and a variety of veg (as I like it) wouldn't strike me as inherently all that "rich."

I do add black olives often, though, and I know those are unpopular here, based on past posts. They are so tasty on pasta, however!

I'm not much of a fan of creamy pasta sauces, with the exception of the homemade mac and cheese (which I would only eat with other foods) or -- on occasion -- carbonara, which is amazing (and not cream-based anyway, although egg, cheese, and pork likely have the same effect).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

I think this is possibly one of the first times you and I have agreed about taste preferences in food, maybe? :lol:
  • pancakerunner
    Pasta dishes vary enormously in how rich they are, so that does not compute (but it might be unpopular!).

I like a wide variety of pasta dishes, but something like pasta topped with a variety of vegetables sauteed with some shrimp and olive oil, or even a arrabiata style sauce or, say, a meat sauce made with tomato sauce, ground beef, and a variety of veg (as I like it) wouldn't strike me as inherently all that "rich."

I do add black olives often, though, and I know those are unpopular here, based on past posts. They are so tasty on pasta, however!

I'm not much of a fan of creamy pasta sauces, with the exception of the homemade mac and cheese (which I would only eat with other foods) or -- on occasion -- carbonara, which is amazing (and not cream-based anyway, although egg, cheese, and pork likely have the same effect).

Like, I like pasta dishes. The meat sauces and flavors, etc. And I love lasagna (the filling anyway), but I find the actual PASTA to be so unnecessary?? And bland?? What's the point? I'd rather fill up on the sauce and toppings alone.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Dagnabbit . . . now I want creamy pasta sauces. (Pasta optional. ;) ).
  • RelCanonical

Like, I like pasta dishes. The meat sauces and flavors, etc. And I love lasagna (the filling anyway), but I find the actual PASTA to be so unnecessary?? And bland?? What's the point? I'd rather fill up on the sauce and toppings alone.

Do you salt the water?
  • pancakerunner
    qfw3mw4fob6u.jpeg

this sounds absolutely horrific