February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic You are keeping it interesting and there's nothing wrong with that!!! Your mace workouts, Pilates, all these things you are doing are great for you and help your running! You know this and yes, you're definitely a runner. You have all kinds of goals, good for you!!! You are a strong woman determined to stay a strong woman!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    I only have shoes, socks, a shirt and pants to run with. That's it...I run with nothing else. I don't even know what an IT band is and I only touched Under Armour compression socks for the first time since they were a gift in my packet but I gave those to my husband. Anyway, what are these things on this lady's arm behind me taking a selfie? For circulation, to stay warm, both or more...? By the way, she was running her 25th consecutive Austin Marathon, pretty nice lady.
    y8mt0nwmy4nj.jpg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar - Your IT band is a tendon that runs down the length of the outer thigh past your knee and down to the shin bone. It is pretty common for runners to have issues with it getting inflamed occasionally. You prevent it by doing hip and glute strengthening exercises, stretching and foam rolling.
    Those things on her arms are called sleeves or arm warmers. People wear them when they want a little extra warmth, but can take them off easily (or push them down) as they get warmed up without wearing a long sleeved shirt over a singlet and then dealing with taking that off and tying it around your waist or something.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I only have shoes, socks, a shirt and pants to run with. That's it...I run with nothing else. I don't even know what an IT band is and I only touched Under Armour compression socks for the first time since they were a gift in my packet but I gave those to my husband. Anyway, what are these things on this lady's arm behind me taking a selfie? For circulation, to stay warm, both or more...? By the way, she was running her 25th consecutive Austin Marathon, pretty nice lady.
    y8mt0nwmy4nj.jpg

Those are called sleeves. They do have compression ones but mostly I see people use them for warmth. They often take them off as warm-up while they run allowing them to start the race in a long sleeve shirt and have a short sleeved one later without the aggravation of a shirt change.

Also, IT band is a part of your body :) You may want to read up on that.
    https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/it-band-syndrome#1

Lol, thanks! I will...
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LoveyChar - Your IT band is a tendon that runs down the length of the outer thigh past your knee and down to the shin bone. It is pretty common for runners to have issues with it getting inflamed occasionally. You prevent it by doing hip and glute strengthening exercises, stretching and foam rolling.
    Those things on her arms are called sleeves or arm warmers. People wear them when they want a little extra warmth, but can take them off easily (or push them down) as they get warmed up without wearing a long sleeved shirt over a singlet and then dealing with taking that off and tying it around your waist or something.

Thank you!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Morning!

I am waiting for our IT person to fix my computer.

I went to the Dr today for the pain in my hip that radiates down to my knee. I explained the shoe journey, feeling as though my knee doesn’t want to do what it’s supposed to do, etc. He did some back popping and pretzel twisting and examined my knees and hips and legs and back and said

It’s my IT band.

Not anything that will prevent me from running AS LONG AS I

STRETCH after running and

CONTINUE to REALLY FOR REAL use the foam roller

So! I’m glad I went because now I know what’s wrong and what to do to fix it, specifically. I won’t be flying blind, trying to fix everything that COULD be wrong! And I don’t have to take any meds!

This weekend is a cutback weekend - 12 miles - and he said that’s totally fine.

Yay!

Proof that I really do read everything...but it really is funny way back when you said that people using foam rollers look like...well people rolling around on the gym floor. I think I'll check those out now with hubby trying to run, probably would come in handy. Not sure if he'll use it but I would.

I'm glad you got an answer!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Husband thinks he's funny.
    gdj5k1z3g2bw.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @samthepanda Congrats on your first 2020 run!
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @autumnblade75 1) Is the Marathon one you've run before? 2) What were your previous times?

I have to say this...my brother in law ran the same one I did, his 5th and he said it was the hardest one he's done yet due to the hills, said even Denver wasn't as hilly as Austin. He ran it in 5:07. I have nothing to compare my time too and even if I was to use a time for comparison it would be the same route/race. I told husband next year I'd like to run it in 5:45. I couldn't run it or any other Marathon in 4 or 4:30, no matter what. Five would thrill the hell out of me. Truth be known, boiling down to it, I was thrilled to just finish my first one and grateful to God to come through and still feel great, relieved it was over and more alive than when I went in. Good luck to you, sincerely, I mean it! I'll be cheering you on as well. You put alot of pressure on yourself, alot... goals, goals.