WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!
    Finally caught up here. Had a really pleasant weekend. The weather was cooperating for once (mid-50's both days with sun!!). I was almost afraid to step on the scale this morning but no weight gained - none lost either but that's OK - I expected to be up a bit since I kind of let things go for the weekend. It was my birthday yesterday and I decided to just enjoy myself for the past 2 days. I offset the food a bit though with a good run on Saturday and a nice hike with DH yesterday morning - something we need to do more often I think. We don't spend much time together, even on the weekends, and it's beginning to feel like we're more roommates than husband/wife. We need to spend some time re-connecting.

Took a couple days off work before I really start to get into doing/learning the new parts of my job. I started to get into it a little on Friday and there's going to be a learning curve, but I think I'll like it.

Question for you - do any of you have a meditation space or do any form of meditation? I'm thinking about taking just 5-10 minutes or so after dinner, or while dinner is cooking, to just settle myself and decompress from work/life each day. As it is now, I come home from work and immediately start with getting dinner made, then after that it's whatever needs doing around the house (paying bills, household chores, etc), and by then I just want to sit and veg out when I actually need to be doing my workout or getting some sort of exercise in. Many times it gets skipped :/ . I want to use that 5-10 minutes to get into a "me-zone" where I focus on my needs and wants instead of everyone else's. Hopefully that will lead me into doing the workout as part of my me-time.

JanetO in eastern MO
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello one and all.

Lanette – Again, thank you for the link. It’s very interesting and contained a lot of good information, especially about the results of the gut microbe transplant. I think I mentioned there was a podcast on NPR regarding our microbes and how little is actually known about the right mix and how each one of us is different and may require different balances. It also mentions how quick people are to jump on a fix-all and do more damage to their systems than the intention of the product. It’s a long listen (9-minutes).
    https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764815498/the-probiotics-heist

Rebecca – This link came up in my MFP feed and it made me think of you. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/8-delicious-noodle-dishes-with-up-to-50-grams-of-protein/

Katla – Would love to see some pics of your new do!

Barbara – Reading your Friday To Do list made me glad I am still working! Glad Joe and you were able to enjoy the impromptu picnic. During my teen years I worked at Burger King and still crave them from time-to-time. I am also happy you are relived the at-home test will put the matter to rest with Joe.

Karen – Barefoot in the snow! I am so spoiled here in Florida I got chills just thinking about it.

Ginny – Congratulations with the checkup and your vitals. Hopefully the antibiotic kicks in and you start feeling better. When I am eating out or at functions I take pictures of my plate and record later. It helps me remember my intake and makes tracking easier (even if it's bad). :smile:

Kylia – People stink! I swear if those who thought so long and hard about how to take advantage of others put their minds to being better the world would be a much nicer place.

Terri – I agree. Last week of February!!

Avoiding the Office Germs – It seems my preventive trick worked or it could be mind over matter. Making and eating the homemade chicken soup seemed to keep me nice and healthy. The sick ones are all still trading the “cold” while I remain in the clear. I think I will be making a vitamin loaded vegetable-based soup this week.

Office PITB Situations – Since I have been working for quite some time at the same company I know who responds and who does not. When I have a project dependent upon receiving information in order to get my job done I set a reminder for both myself and the receiver of the email I am sending. I put the follow up date way before I actually need the information. If I receive the information prior to the reminder I remove the flags when I send a thank you. If I do not get the information from the true procrastinators when the reminder pops up I forward the original email to them and adjust the flag three days ahead. If I have to follow up a third time I do the same thing and copy their manager and mine. I have found when I practice this regularly people begin to realize they need to respond to my emails or they are going to have pesky reminders popping up all of the time. I am down to one person for which I must set reminders and have found they are just awful time managers. For those I work closely with I have mentored them and now all have monthly Excel to do lists for weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports. The lists contain the information needed, to whom it goes to, and what day/week/month it’s due each quarter.

It is off to the races for me. I hope everyone is having or has had a great day.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ - SFL

Aww SuziQ, some of those noodle dishes look amazing! I need to get a noodle maker for zucchini, as much as son and I eat it! The other day I used up all of my homemade chicken broth, threw in a cut up bok choy, 3 cut up baby potatoes, and 2 oz of shredded chicken. After the potatoes were done I put a splash of milk. The bok choy was firm like a noodle, and the potatoes thickened it. With a grind of pink salt, and pepper it was heaven!
    💖Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Congrats Lanette, on your clean Bill of health!🙏🎉👑🎵🎶💖
    I bought some pasta noodles made out of sweet potato, I still need to try them! Kinda fell off the omad bus, but I found my ticket again and am back on.👍
    Have a great day friends!
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington

Rebecca!
    One of my favorite take-out meals is Jap Chae - a Korean dish with the sweet potato noodles, a kind of sweet/hot sesame dressing, veggies and shiitake mushrooms.

The Asian restaurant in town where I'd buy them went out of business. :( After 50 years... the grandkids didn't want to keep it open.

Do you recall where you bought the noodles?

No worries on the OMAD bus. It's OK to take detours. B)<3

Lanette
    SW WA State

Ooh that sounds yummy! I love noodles! I will take a picture of the pasta when I return from the gym.👍
    Have a great day!💖
    💖Rebecca
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    JANET O ~ Happy Birthday!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    JanetO in Eastern MO
    t3337.gif
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Kylia - Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Question for you - do any of you have a meditation space or do any form of meditation? I'm thinking about taking just 5-10 minutes or so after dinner, or while dinner is cooking, to just settle myself and decompress from work/life each day. As it is now, I come home from work and immediately start with getting dinner made, then after that it's whatever needs doing around the house (paying bills, household chores, etc), and by then I just want to sit and veg out when I actually need to be doing my workout or getting some sort of exercise in. Many times it gets skipped :/ . I want to use that 5-10 minutes to get into a "me-zone" where I focus on my needs and wants instead of everyone else's. Hopefully that will lead me into doing the workout as part of my me-time.

JanetO in eastern MO

JanetO
    - first of all, Happy Birthday!

To address your question about meditation, I prefer to do "standing meditations" that I learned in Tai Chi class last summer.

I sometimes follow along with a video - example: https://taichihealthproducts.org/exercise/

Or for more info:

http://developyourenergy.net/zhang-zhuang-chi-kung/wu-chi-the-first-position/

http://www.quiettigertaichi.com/2012/05/10/standing-meditation/

There are a lot of slightly different styles and teachers, you can search on YouTube too.

To stop the "monkey chatter" I concentrate on one of my senses.... listening (hum of appliances for example), smelling (flowers, cooking, etc.), touching (feeling of my feet in my shoes, sweater around my wrists, etc.)

I actually do this standing "Wu Chi" posture in the kitchen a lot. Often with my eyes closed.

I know others here prefer to sit in a quiet room, etc. I could never make that work for me. I like the standing postures because it also seems to improve my balance especially if I close my eyes. It's so simple and can be done anywhere.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a lot of good suggestions here. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Annie,
    I get full blood workup every year and all levels of vitamins and minerals are within normal range. So no vitamins or supplements for me.

The doctor agrees with my "eating the rainbow" probably attributes to having a good balanced diet and consistent blood levels.

Hope you're having a great day!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I hope you were able to get a good amount of rest. Several people here are using intermittent fasting. I haven’t tried it because DH has diabetes and has to eat on a traditional timetable. CICO works well enough for me. :star:

Viv: It appears that you rescued your dog from a life of misery. She is a lucky dog. :flowerforyou:

Kylia: Your daughter and DGD seem to have inherited your smile. :bigsmile:

Barbara: We bought a crate for our previous dog. Sucia loved her crate and considered it a safe haven. She passed away unexpectedly from a bee sting. I’ve read that Keeshonden are often susceptible to bee stings and it was certainly true for her. Our current dog, also a Keeshond, detested the crate. He sleeps in a dog bed in our bedroom on my side of the bed. We donated Sucia's crate to the local humane society. :smiley:

Patricialeonard: Welcome to a great group of encouraging women! Have your doctors given you any dietary guidance? The system here will give you good information about what you are eating. I strive for roughly equal thirds—1/3 carbs, 1/3 protein, & 1/3 fat. Although there is some daily variation, the strategy works well for me. I let MFP set my allowed calorie goals. Some women here use other strategies such as intermittent fasting. They eat during a daily time window. When the window closes, no more eating. That helps minimize or eliminate the night time snacking problems that so many of us have struggled with. I hope you’ll stay with us for the support and friendship. :star:

JanetO: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Your idea about meditation after dinner is a lovely one. I used to meditate regularly but have gotten out of the habit. Yoga classes help fill part of that need, but meditation is very valuable. You’ve got me thinking about how and when to add this back into my life. :flowerforyou:

Amber: Only 50 pounds so far????? You are doing great!!! :star:

We are cleaning our self-cleaning ovens today. A kitchen window is open and a fan is blowing any smoke away. Both ovens are busy cleaning themselves and we’re going out for lunch at Subway when we are ready. The only down side here is that I’ve had to skip yoga. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    JanetO Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did a zero to sixty DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the Power Hour class.

Ginny OH – glad to hear Logan is in such great spirits. I know that makes you and his parents somewhat relieved.

The crib I had for my kids had a door so they can open it if they wanted out of the crib before we made it into a toddler bed

M – Knowing NASCAR, I’m *sure* they’re taking the head injury seriously. We shall see what happens. One part of me says that he’ll want to race again, but the other part of me says that he is probably somewhat scared to race again. Only time will tell

Barbara – thanks for the update about sudbdew. When you’re “talking” to her again, give her my love

After exercise some of the ladies here got together to crochet/knit (an excuse to talk!) so I went. Then made a cake to take to the pot luck Friday. I don’t know this oven, MIL only had a hand mixer but we shall see how it comes out. Working on my crochet.

JanetO – you now, I find it so hard to meditate. But I would love to, if only I could. Happy birthday

Amber – JR is so adorable. Love seeing pics of him in action

Lanette – thanks for those links. They look really interesting. I bookmarked them for when I get home . I always thought you had to be seated to meditate. Maybe standing will work better for me.

Michele in cool FL
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Oh Momma, was my lunch ever grand! I toasted a hearty grains bread slice and halved it so it could fit in my toaster, slathered it with avocado, then pressed in spinach and bok choy leaves, put a slice of pepper jack cheese on each portion, melted in microwave a couple seconds, and topped each with a fried egg, I always put cayenne pepper on the yolk part of the egg. It was so wonderful to bite into it, the creamy egg, with the avocado and the melted cheese. Ok ok, I am totally a foodie. As a child I remember my Mom getting on me for tasting food so audibly! You know the sound a cat makes when they lap up milk? I kinda did that! I just love textures.💖 And no, I don't make that smacking sound anymore. Haahaa!
    💖Rebecca
    Lanette, here's the kind of pasta I bought. It was just at the commissary.
    uyuutf1u7w8o.jpg
    And these are the Japanese noodles I love!
    kjb1hjtewii5.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)vitamins--I take Calcium and D3

:)meditation, I meditate nearly every day based on two books that changed my life, "10% Happier" and "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics" both by Dan Harris. I have a chair I like to sit in and like the room to be quiet. I focus on my breath and if I notice that my mind has wandered, I just go back to concentrating on my breath.

:) In spite of being without TV for most of the day yesterday and without internet for over 24 hours, my cable company gets high praise from me for their customer service during the outage. It was so easy to find out first that the lack of service was the system and not just my house, second that there was a projected time for return to service, and third that they would call me when service was restored if I wanted them to. I use my computer and the internet for many business related tasks that can't be completed on my phone. Today I am a happy techno-lover.

:) Jake made pumpernickel in his bread maker---delicious--most of it is sliced and in the freezer so I can have one slice at a time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Your lunch prep and eating sounds like the perfect meditation. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Do all of you have a look at 10% Happier and the next book. Demystifies meditation.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Went to Chuckie cheese after all
    Amber Tx
    zdl8ipt1ad8x.jpeg
    2yr3gidburrh.jpeg
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Finally up to date, but too tired to comment much. I think I need an early night!

Felicitations to those with travails. Sending positive vibes your way.
    Welcome to our new people. You will get lots of encouragement here!

p3lagn1eol1i.jpeg

☘️ Terri