For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    The second last pomelo salad of the season, which is almost over.uj92s356mxav.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Was surprised that hubby found some of those tiny bananas you see in SE Asia at a Bangladeshi shop in London. Photographed next to a normal banana.wadfosn845gx.jpeg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the dragonfruit information. I greatly appreciate the help. I am going to give it a try, though it will be a couple of weeks before I do (hard to find here atm, but going to a store with a HUGE international selection the first weekend of March). So fingers are crossed.

I am just getting tired of the same old thing. Fruit wise I stick to bananas, apples, pears, berries, and watermelon (I can't have plain citrus). Vegetable wise I feel like all I remember to eat is spinach, bell pepper, potatoes (sweet and regular), broccoli, asparagus, corn (in the summer), and maybe 1 or 2 others. I need to branch out! It just needs to be easy to prepare lol.

So thank you ALL for this thread and for your help!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Athijade
    How about parsnips, turnips, beets, carrots,kale, squashes of all sorts, Cabbage, bok choy, celeriac.
    They are all easy to prep similar to things you already eat and delicious
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    What is a satsumas?
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    The second last pomelo salad of the season, which is almost over.uj92s356mxav.jpeg

Is a pomelo like a grapefruit?
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Mjlefty35 wrote: »
    Any creative ideas for someone who doesn't like too many veggies? I would like to but the taste and smell and I dont always agree. Any good recipes to find that would be great!

Roasted parsnip, or slightly crispy zucchini medallions in the pan are creamy and crunchy I love em
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    djhohw8im5j0.jpeg

I need you to come cook for me 😉😍🥰
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I had dragonfruit last time I was in Hawaii, but have always heard it's not nearly as good if it travels a long way, so I haven't tried buying it from my local grocery store (which does currently carry it, at least off and on). Perhaps I will.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I had dragonfruit last time I was in Hawaii, but have always heard it's not nearly as good if it travels a long way, so I haven't tried buying it from my local grocery store (which does currently carry it, at least off and on). Perhaps I will.

I had one from a grocery store in Minnesota recently and I thought it was delicious. It's also the ONLY time I've ever had it, so take that into account.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Is a pomelo like a grapefruit?

A grapefruit is a cross between a pomelo and an orange. Pomelo's taste a little milder than grapefruit and they are considerably bigger so easier to remove the pith for salads. Short season though, Dec to Feb. I still see them in Asian shops so planning to get one for a dinner party at my place March 1.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Was surprised that hubby found some of those tiny bananas you see in SE Asia at a Bangladeshi shop in London. Photographed next to a normal banana.

I would recommend those tiny SE Asian bananas if you get the chance to buy them. More complex tasting than regular bananas. They have a slight acidity as well as the sweet and starchy flavour of normal bananas.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I have only eaten dragon fruit in SE Asia when it is appears at the breakfast buffet in hotels when we are on vacation. I agree with @silviamartins that they look better than they taste. Not unpleasant, just a little bland compared the other stuff on offer like mango, mangosteen, rambutan, watermelon, pineapple.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Every time to go shopping buy a new fruit and new veggie. Come home and search for recipes / uses online. You will be thankful you got out into the world and started exploring. There is soooooo much variety out there.

That is an awesome suggestion!

For a long time I was on a super strict diet due to medical reasons. The illness I suffer from can be very food sensitive when it flares up and eating the wrong things can cause a LOT of pain. So while I was trying to get my pain levels down I was very very restricted. Like the only fruits I could eat were pears and watermelon. With veggies I had more options, but it was still pretty bad. Even though I am in about a 90% remission (I still have things I can not eat at all and I get flares rarely even if I eat a food I usually can have), I think that fear of pain is still there and causes me to be afraid to try new things.

You all have made me want to conquer that fear and get back out there! So thank you!!!! I will be doing some research and finding recipes for what has been suggested. Even if it is only adding a new green that isn't spinach to a curry, it's still a step in the right direction. Now, I am gonna go back in time and look at older posts for some inspiration!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Green salad with blue cheese, blueberries, candied pecans and mustard vinaigrette.
    5lfcj6rdmin4.jpeg
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    What is a satsumas?

Another name for Mandarin orange or tangerine.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Fresh, organic produce is very flavorful and I love it. Lately, I've developed an appreciation for arugula, and persimmons are so lovely when they're in season. I prefer Hachiyas.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,569 Member
    Options
    @summery79 I've never had any of those or spotted them in the produce departments, I'd definitely have to try Buddha's hand! I just tried rambutan for the first time and love it.
  • acpgee
    Options
    If you like rambutan, you will probably like mangosteen and fresh lichee as well.