Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Do NOT come between me and my Greek yogurt!

Me too although I am back to regular yogurt I make myself. Not because I think it is healthier (after all, I am using store bought milk) but I eat so much it is cheaper ($2.50 per gallon as opposed to $10 per gallon for yogurt). I use Greek for the starter since I love the taste, but I don't have the patience to strain it like Greek needs to be.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Me too although I am back to regular yogurt I make myself. Not because I think it is healthier (after all, I am using store bought milk) but I eat so much it is cheaper ($2.50 per gallon as opposed to $10 per gallon for yogurt). I use Greek for the starter since I love the taste, but I don't have the patience to strain it like Greek needs to be.

I might try that sometime. I do make my own sorbets and granitas, though.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

I might try that sometime. I do make my own sorbets and granitas, though.

It is super easy but you need a way to keep it at 110° for about 8-18 hours. I have a yogurt maker that makes 1/2 gallon at a time. Heat the milk to 180°, cool to 110°, add some yogurt with active cultures, let sit. Chill and eat. There are starters you can get that give different flavors and textures but I like using Greek yogurt, then use some of the last batch to re-culture the next one. I can keep a strain going for about 5 gallons (10 batches) before it needs refreshing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In the spirit of today, an article on the subject of whether or not faux meat products are appropriate if one is avoiding meat for Lent: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-beyond-impossible-burger-fake-meat-lent-20200225-ldbyyq74lzadzgmiqhcdaqmuo4-story.html
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    In the spirit of today, an article on the subject of whether or not faux meat products are appropriate if one is avoiding meat for Lent: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-beyond-impossible-burger-fake-meat-lent-20200225-ldbyyq74lzadzgmiqhcdaqmuo4-story.html

Interesting. On the Jewish calendar, there is a nine-day period when many Orthodox Jews refrain from eating meat and poultry (but not fish and there are a couple of loopholes). As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I asked if I should adopt a more stringent practice at that time like a vegan WOE. I was told that it wasn't necessary. Basically, the custom was to refrain from meat and poultry specifically during those days and whether I normally refrained from them the rest of the year wasn't relevant.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Heh, I read the Trib and thought about linking that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Interesting. I think it really does depend on "why" you observe Lent or any other religious or spiritual fasting convention. Kind of a "letter of the law" vs "spirit of the law" sort of thing.
  • janejellyroll
    kimny72 wrote: »

Interesting. I think it really does depend on "why" you observe Lent or any other religious or spiritual fasting convention. Kind of a "letter of the law" vs "spirit of the law" sort of thing.

Yeah, I can see if the point is to live mindfully through the practice of temporarily giving up something, then replacing it with something that is designed to be indistinguishable is kind of skirting the intention (not to degrade anyone's spiritual practice if they're doing this, there may be complexities I'm not getting).

Obviously, there are fasting practices that have different purposes than Lent (as least Lent as I was raised to understand it) and faux meat may fit well into those.

• SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    Real meat eater here for life. Although, I do believe in moderation when it comes to eating red meat. Hell NO to fake meat! :D
  • janejellyroll
    Real meat eater here for life. Although, I do believe in moderation when it comes to eating red meat. Hell NO to fake meat! :D

Why? What is inherently objectionable about faux meat?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2020

real meat eater here who also enjoys and appreciated beyond burgers etc (sister is a vegan and we try different restaurants when she visits)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yeah, I can see if the point is to live mindfully through the practice of temporarily giving up something, then replacing it with something that is designed to be indistinguishable is kind of skirting the intention (not to degrade anyone's spiritual practice if they're doing this, there may be complexities I'm not getting).

Obviously, there are fasting practices that have different purposes than Lent (as least Lent as I was raised to understand it) and faux meat may fit well into those.

It reminded me of jokes about people violating the spirit by having some fancy, expensive seafood based meal on a Friday in Lent, like going to a nice sushi place or having lobster.

I would agree with the comment above that it depends on how one is understanding the sacrifice -- it can be "to have to be mindful that I am doing this and then remembering why" which I think would be consistent with having the Beyond Burger.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    Given the original purpose of giving things up for Lent was to eat simply and cheaply, ( not just eat, I think some people did other self discipline things like no sex) then here in Australia eating fish doesn't really achieve that

Fish is no cheaper and really no simpler a meal than meat - and of course fancy lobster and seafood all you can eat buffets are not simple or cheap at all.

It makes more sense to me to give up something you like that is a 'fancy extra' like meat was in those days - self discipline is good
    Even better if you donate the money you would of spent on the fancy thing to a charity.

I have given up chocolate for the 6 weeks of Lent sometimes with that reasoning and am thinking of giving up cappacinos this year.

But if I hated meat or was already a vegetarian I don't see what purpose eating beyond burger would be, in regards to Lent
  • paperpudding

Well, I guess we all have things that are Hell, no! For us just on personal taste or 'the thought of it' reasons.

I'm like that with liver, tripe and similar

Nothing inherently wrong with eating them, but for me personally Hell, no!

Says nothing about the product though, just about my personal bias - so as an actual point in a debate, pretty meaningless.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Given the original purpose of giving things up for Lent was to eat simply and cheaply, ( not just eat, I think some people did other self discipline things like no sex) then here in Australia eating fish doesn't really achieve that

Fish is no cheaper and really no simpler a meal than meat - and of course fancy lobster and seafood all you can eat buffets are not simple or cheap at all.

It makes more sense to me to give up something you like that is a 'fancy extra' like meat was in those days - self discipline is good
    Even better if you donate the money you would of spent on the fancy thing to a charity.

I have given up chocolate for the 6 weeks of Lent sometimes with that reasoning and am thinking of giving up cappacinos this year.

But if I hated meat or was already a vegetarian I don't see what purpose eating beyond burger would be, in regards to Lent

Lent has very strict rules here, so the one or two times during Lend that we can eat fish, we absolutely will regardless of how expensive it is. It's usually eaten to celebrate certain special days during Lent so being a celebration, eating expensive fish and drinking wine does not break the "spirit" of it in our case.
  • paperpudding
    That's the difference I suppose - Lent does not at all have strict rules here, certainly not in Uniting church of Australia anyway, can't speak for all churches.

So, is up to individual to decide what and why they will give up whatever they do.