60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hello to all the new posters in this thread. Welcome!

Got out for 3 miles with the pup after work tonight. Will be able to do that more often with the longer days. Come on, spring!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Always glad to share support and encouragement.
  • njag6393
    njag6393 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me it’s a mental challenge for sure. I can’t seem to muster up the determination I once had.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :)annliz, It sounds like a lot of fun at your house with your pets. We have two dogs--a red standard poodle and a black mixed breed rescue dog. I walk them every day--20-40 minutes before breakfast, then after breakfast both of them for about 30 minutes then the poodle by herself for another hour. Later in the day, the walks are short. I average over 13,000 steps a day thanks to all that dog walking.

:)Kristine, best wishes on your journey. A book I read that helped me create good habits for weight loss is "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin. You might be able to find it at your local library.

:)AnnPT77 Your explanations are always so clear and comprehensive. Thank you for all you add to this thread.

:)DebbiefromGA, I hope you will keep coming back every day. Being part of a community has helped me on my weight loss journey.

:) Lots of errands on my list today including getting a blood test to prepare for my regular appointment with my primary care doctor next week.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) Since early September I had been in a terrible fibromyalgia flare, but I have now had four good days in a row :D I am back to me B)

Welcome to all the newbies :) So good to have all of you... This is the place for good advice, great support and wonderful encouragement. Feel free to jump right in and let us know what we can do to be of help :)

barbiecat, enjoy your day of errands ;)

alteredsteve175, good walk... you inspire me ... YAY for Spring :D

bethe, that's great advice to all the new folks about going back and reading all previous posts. There is a bunch of good advice for all who are trying to lose weight and help for those with questions ;)

lindagalbreath577, good to see you. Sounds like your doing well :)

teresadannar, so good to see you back ;)

RCPV, very good advice for Linda ;)

Have a great day everyone, staying strong in the fight for fit B)

Shout out to my friends <3
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a bit frustrated. That sudden drop in weight I had was apparently an anomaly, because it hasn't been replicated since - in fact, I'm consistantly back up to where I was before. But, I keep reminding myself about how many variables are involved and then shrug it off (mostly). Oh well - I'm in it for the long haul. On the plus side, with all the healthy eating and exercising I feel really good most days, which is a huge plus from how I felt before. And my dogs LOVE the long walks, as do I.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options

:)Kristine, best wishes on your journey. A book I read that helped me create good habits for weight loss is "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin. You might be able to find it at your local library.

My local library does have it. Thank you, I am picking up a copy today.

• alteredsteve175
    Options
    I've seen several posts in this thread where people note their weight fluctuations or plateaus and frustration because of them. Consider using a weight trending app like Libra (for Android users) or Happy Scale (for Ios users) - and there are probably other apps. I plateaued a couple of times during the early part of this weight loss journey. Seeing the trend line pointing downward kept me on track even when my weight was static. Try one if you are comfortable with weighing daily.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    @bacpath, way to go sticking to your plan! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    I've seen several posts in this thread where people note their weight fluctuations or plateaus and frustration because of them. Consider using a weight trending app like Libra (for Android users) or Happy Scale (for Ios users) - and there are probably other apps. I plateaued a couple of times during the early part of this weight loss journey. Seeing the trend line pointing downward kept me on track even when my weight was static. Try one if you are comfortable with weighing daily.

100% endorsed. I love my trending app.

It's important to understand what it's doing: Statistical projection, not crystal ball! Also, at first you'll want to get a small number of weeks (ideally daily weights under consistent conditions) into the app, before giving it much credit. At first, with a small number of data points to work on, the trend may be a little twitchy. It will settle down, with more data.

In Libra (the Android one) you can change some settings to make it use different time periods for its trend lines, which - if you understand a little bit about statistics so you can interpret it - can be interesting, too. (It doesn't change your recorded data; it just changes how it draws the charts temporarily). I don't know whether the other apps (like Happy Scale for iOS, Trendweight, Weightgrapher, etc.) let you do that, or not.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    bacpath wrote: »
    (snip)
    @AnnPT77 I did relax a bit and the night was fun. I stuck to my plan, mostly. I sat across from the winemaker so it was a little clumsy passing 1/2 my wine and food to Max, but we did it. I did eat all of the beef course but portions were small. I’m sure I was up at least 1500cal. Today is a new day and off to the gym I go. I will take your advice and weigh on Sunday when I get home.
    (snip)

Good show, relaxing and enjoying! 1500 calories above goal is presumably less than that above maintenance (your neither gain nor lose current calorie balance point). If you've been losing a pound a week on average, 1500 calories above goal will be made up in 3 days of routine daily deficit (day of the event, plus two more), i.e., will delay reaching ultimate goal weight by those 3 days.

The temporary water weight may look it worse on the scale for a few days or week or so, but it's a lying liar that lies, in these circumstances. Don't let it fuss you, trust the process. :)

Sometimes, that indulge-y sort of thing is worth it IMO, and I'd personally put a special event like the one you attended in that category.
  • lindagalbreath577
    lindagalbreath577 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey kardsharp you CAN do this. I have come to realize it is about how you think about food. Just take one day at a time if that’s too much then one hour at a time. And don’t beat yourself up over mistakes. Just lift your head and keep going. Have a great day 🤓
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat & others who are dog walkers, I too get most of my exercise from walking my dogs. 3 are seniors now & they do most of their walking at the dog park on grass but I do have a younger german shepheard & a younger little one plus a small grand dog is staying with us & they make me keep walking. I average 10,000 steps/day & get almost half of that on our morning outings
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    njag6393 wrote: »
    For me it’s a mental challenge for sure. I can’t seem to muster up the determination I once had.

Same here. The trick for me is to make it a habit - scheduling gym time or recording meals rather than consciously pushing to a daily victory. Drinking water when my brain says it’s snack time works good too.

• slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Look after number one my mother always says, because no-one else can. I hope you all have a day that puts a smile on your face.
    I have a similar saying about dieting & exercising. Do it to please yourself and no one else. The work is too hard and takes too long to do for someone else.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    I think the weather is going to be bad for about a week here in my neck of the woods so I guess its weightlifting for a while. I feel very fortunate to have a beautiful lake to walk at just two miles from home and the route I take is a 4 mile round trip. On a busy day there may be 15 cars go by . Lately to burn more calories and for strength I have incorporated walking lunges and use the guard rails to do push ups. By the time I am done I try to get at least 150 of each but often exceed that which makes me feel like I have accomplished something. It’s time consuming but worth it. I walk in one direction then back track by my truck in case I need more or less clothes or a drink about halfway through.

I read this post and then went back and reread your earlier post. Don't sell yourself short. You have plenty of determination. 150 lunges and pushups during a walk - that is a great workout and that would kick my *kitten* for a couple of days afterwards.

I try to go out regardless of the weather. I have no problem getting out to go fishing in the rain - as a guide once told me, "It ain't raining underwater." No reason I can't go for a walk or a hike, and the dog doesn't care, either. And occasionally you catch the end of the storm and the world is a very peaceful place for an hour or two.

• njag6393
    njag6393 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you alteredsteve175 I do have some very good Bone Dry raingear so I may just throw it on if its raining. I don’t care how cold it is but rain just ain’t my “thang”. Worked out in it too many years lol.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    Thank you alteredsteve175 I do have some very good Bone Dry raingear so I may just throw it on if its raining. I don’t care how cold it is but rain just ain’t my “thang”. Worked out in it too many years lol.

Heard that. Fishing or playing in the rain is one thing. Working is a different matter.