What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Olives are GOOD. What are you guys on??

Not an olive high, obviously.

I've seen cats get on olive highs.

I think it's the salt, not sure why though. My cats used to steal fast food french fries and they wouldn't actually eat them, they'd just lick all the salt off :lol:
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Olives are GOOD. What are you guys on??

Not an olive high, obviously.

I've seen cats get on olive highs.

One of my cat gets crazy over olive brine. When I open a can of olives (and he will recognize the sound even from far away in the backyard), I have to give him a teaspoon of the stuff to keep him calm and refrain of whacking the olives right out of my hand. The other two cannot be bothered.

My sister's cat (RIP) would act the same way over olives as he would for catnip, rolling on the floor, rubbing his face on it, the whole nine yards.
  • Carlos_421
    Chocolate and mint is terrible.

YES. I hate the whole chocolate peppermint craze around the holidays.

anigif_sub-buzz-15405-1500776920-7.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Chocolate ice cream in the worst flavour. Though I love chocolate everything else.

Even the mere thought of shepherds pie makes me lose my appetite

Chocolate ice cream is the standard by which all other ice creams measure their worth.
    All fall despairingly short with the exception of Cookies & Cream.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Chocolate ice cream in the worst flavour. Though I love chocolate everything else.

I get you on the chocolate ice cream...so not a favorite of mine, but do love me some good chocolate that's for sure...and shepherd's pie???...even when i ate meat, I found ground beef to be the most vile thing out there and then adding mushy peas and mashed potatoes to the mix?😫

Shepherd's pie should include ground lamb, not ground beef.

IMO, peas are optional.

Here's one that looks like what I've made before: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/shepherds-pie

It's not the prettiest dish, but it's ground lamb, veg, and mashed potatoes (and some other tasty ingredients in the recipe linked), so I'm a fan.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    In contrast to shepherd's pie, peppermint bark is horrible. Joseph was right!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Goat cheese is absolutely repulsive. It ruins everything it touches, it's impossible to pick out. I hate that it's such a fad thing now and it's in EVERYTHING when you dine out.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Goat cheese is absolutely repulsive. It ruins everything it touches, it's impossible to pick out. I hate that it's such a fad thing now and it's in EVERYTHING when you dine out.

Disagreement here: I disliked cheese in general until one evening in Paris (France has done a LOT to influence my taste buds...). It was late, I'd finished a lovely day at Chinon, roaming the castle ruins and befriending a kitten who followed me around there, and I wasn't really hungry but wanted to complete the day and go back to the hotel. So I ordered a salad which came with fried goat cheese. I figured I could eat around the cheese. But it looked kind of appetizing when it came to my table, and I figured, okay, I'll take a nibble. And I kept on eating all the bits in the salad, and changed my mind about cheese.

I'm hoping a similar thing will happen some day with mushrooms and sea food.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    I love goat cheese. And most every soft cheese. Mmm, cheese.

Swiss cheese, however, is gross. One of the only cheeses I pass on.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I get you on the chocolate ice cream...so not a favorite of mine, but do love me some good chocolate that's for sure...and shepherd's pie???...even when i ate meat, I found ground beef to be the most vile thing out there and then adding mushy peas and mashed potatoes to the mix?😫

Cottage pie is made with hamburger. Shepherd's pie is made with ground lamb.

I like my low rent Hershey's chocolate. White chocolate should not even be called chocolate. It is an abomination.

Vanilla ice cream is my favorite.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Did someone say chocolate ice cream? 😋

aokygwylcde9.jpeg

PS- I’ll trade you guys— I’ll take the chocolate and olives- you can have the goat cheese and Shepard’s pie. 👍🏻👍🏻

Goat cheese is a lil funk. Just sayin.

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited March 2020
    I agree with whoever said coconut water is disgusting. Yuck. It has the texture of spit and is just nasty! The only exception is flavored sparkling coconut water, but even then I'd rather just have regular sparkling water.

Coconut water? pass. Coconut milk/cream/butter/oil/manna? GIMME
  • pancakerunner

BUT HAVE YOU EVER HAD A GRILLED SWISS BURGER?!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I agree with whoever said coconut water is disgusting. Yuck. It has the texture of spit and is just nasty! The only exception is flavored sparkling coconut water, but even then I'd rather just have regular sparkling water.

Coconut water? pass. Coconut milk/cream/butter/oil/manna? GIMME

Totally agree! I thought I'd love coconut water since I love every other coconut thing. Wrong!
  • autumjo14
    autumjo14 Posts: 8 Member
    Blue cheese tastes like pneumonia..
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

BUT HAVE YOU EVER HAD A GRILLED SWISS BURGER?!

Please don't grill me or put me on a burger :disappointed:
  • pancakerunner
    I love pretzels and I love peanut butter (natural pb), but I find the pretzel/PB combo highly overrated...
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    autumjo14 wrote: »
    Blue cheese tastes like pneumonia..

I wish there was a laugh reaction. Not even kidding I almost snorted my oatmeal.
    Blue cheese is the WORST. I have no idea what pneumonia tastes like, but if I had to guess, it would definitely be somewhere along those lines.