Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

ozonezoe
ozonezoe Posts: 9 Member
Love hearing people’s opinions and experience with different life style changes! Let me know what you think of keto and if it was beneficial for your life!

Replies

• asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    It is absolutely not for me. My food in tolerances are many, and carbs are my friend. Saying that's friend of mine was recommended keto to help her brain fog with her bipolar disorder and it's been good in that respect. She hasn't lost much weight however because calories on/calories out. But weight loss for her is a secondary factor.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I know myself well enough to know to not even bother trying. Carbs & protein are the two macros that satiate me best and keep me feeling full the longest - my natural inclination is to eat low fat higher carb. Plus, I struggle enough as it is with my body, cutting out a whole macro category is not going to win me any favors on that front.

I know it works well for some, and I'm glad they can find a eating method that fits their body, but its no magic recipe for weight loss, either, and its not for everyone.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I can't imagine ever doing it unless I had a health condition that required it. I love fruits, vegetables, and beans too much and it wouldn't really fit my lifestyle (long distance runner -- and I know there are some people doing keto and endurance sports, but it seems like more work).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    I can't imagine ever doing it unless I had a health condition that required it. I love fruits, vegetables, and beans too much and it wouldn't really fit my lifestyle (long distance runner -- and I know there are some people doing keto and endurance sports, but it seems like more work).

Same here to the bolded. I am not a runner but walk a lot and do resistance training. I tend to eat lower carb just as my preference. Like 100 to 150gr per day. But keto is a step too far for me. Too restrictive with no additional benefits. Fat loss is not better on keto than any other way of eating.

Over time, I have found the foods that are most satiating for me, mostly proteins and higher fiber vegetable, and I can be satiated and stay within calorie targets quite easily. There are some foods I avoid as I have trouble moderating them. (ice cream and kettle chips, I'm looking at you!) For the rest, I am satisfied, rarely hungry and eat a varied diet.

If someone prefers keto or has a medical condition that keto helps, great. What way to eating one chooses, aside from medical conditions, should be based on adherence and preference.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    20-50 grams of carbohydrates per day would be way too restrictive for me. I'm omnivorous, but my diet consists of lots of plants as well, including beans, lentils, oats and other whole grains, starchy root vegetables, etc. I would go insane on keto. Beyond that, I don't find 70+% of my diet coming in the form of dietary fat very appealing either. That's a lot of friggin' fat...

*ugh* I'm in complete agreement here. I have enough time trying to get in enough protein in a day-and I actually like protein sources for the most part; having to try to get down that much fat would be too much for me. I like nuts and seeds, but only once in a while, and I still can't get myself to like avocado.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 585 Member
    I know folks who have lost on keto, but the real difference seems to be that they consume fewer calories b/c that type of diet satiates their hunger. I don't put any stock in all sorts of other things that are supposed to be happening--maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but without the deficit, folks would not lose, and their rate of loss appears the same as anyone counting calories. In other words, all the other stuff that may or may not be happening does not seem to affect their rate of loss--it's still all about the calorie deficit.

I don't argue with folks who are experiencing success--or with those who are not. I try to stick to good science, share it, and then live and let live. Would not work for me b/c I am not interested in many of the high fat foods recommended--they just don't appeal to me. I'm also not much of a meat-eater, and most of my keto friends are.