Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Replies

• ozonezoe
    ozonezoe Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2020
    Loving seeing a variant of replies!

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    SusannO wrote: »
    @janejellyroll Actually, if you read many people who post against keto or offer their advice on keto, even in this thread alone, say it's just one of many options to get a calorie deficit.

I don't think this is true. For example, upthread I noted that it might help with appetite control. The focus of the conversation naturally has been on weight loss, however, as keto is not the only dietary change that helps with medical conditions, so I think it would be unusual for someone just asked about general thoughts on keto to bring up that it might help with some medical conditions. Same with other ways of eating.

Re T2D/IR, it is one option, but to actually become more insulin sensitive usually weight loss is what does it. Keto or low carb can be a way of controlling the symptoms (spikes) which can be damaging or avoid medication, but most often it seems there are other dietary ways of doing that (controlled and moderate carbs combined with sufficient protein and fiber).

It also seems that in many people keto may actually cause or worsen high cholesterol, and for others it is irrelevant. Are there some for whom it helps when no other dietary changes would? I find that unlikely but not impossible. But again certainly dietary changes can help with high cholesterol in some, and some of the foods you won't be able to eat on keto contribute to high cholesterol in some.

My dad had high cholesterol at a normal healthy weight, and even though he was quite active. His doctor advised him to cut back on sat fat and that worked for him. He now has good cholesterol numbers even though he eats nothing like a keto diet (quite high carb, probably, although also very healthy and he's very active for someone of his age (76)).

Are there other conditions that keto can help with in some? I suspect there are, so believe you that it helped with your condition. The way can help prevent with seizures and for some help with mental health conditions and migraines is known or being studied.

Re: IF being easier, I didn't find that it had any effect on that, but then I find it easy in general (as do many who do it without doing keto). Again, people are different, and my only objection is to selling keto as having these effects for all.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    My $0.02 and worth exactly that:

My brother has done strict Keto, and he enjoyed some substantial weight loss when he did. However, he likes carbs. So when he craved carbs, he got into that mindset of falling off the wagon- not wanting to get back on.

He's since regained the weight he lost.

So I would say, having seen what he went through and what the results for him were, it wasn't worth it. He would have better invested his time eating things he liked in moderation and learning how to do that. There might be some people for whom eating in a Keto fashion is a dream come true- I'm not one of them. I've found through trial and error that my optimal satiation clocks in at right around 33%/33%/33% give or take a little, protein/carbs/fats.

From a medical standpoint, I have my opinion but it is that of someone uninformed, so I won't comment. If it's working for you and your doctor is happy, then I'm happy for you.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    My doctor doesn't advise it for me as it is too high fat. Your mileage may vary.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2020
    I don't know much about the science behind it, but my gut feeling is that it's another Adkins fad type diet for people looking to lose weight quickly. And it's probably very hard to maintain any of the lost weight. I think slow and steady wins the race, and if you're eating healthy foods at a deficit you WILL lose weight and that's much better than a diet that gives you the flu.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2020

While 5 years ago I did accidentally lose 50 pounds (unplanned) and have kept it off for these 5 years I do Keto for health gains with pain management being my really only goal. The only thing I have been doing differently since Oct 2014 is I do not eat or drink food that has any added sweeteners and or any form of any grain. At the age of 69 simple is better I find. I do try to weight each morning twice to help insure I am drinking enough water. Now that COVID-19 is to show up here about middle April I am thankful KETO has been working well enough so I am Rx Med free at this time and have good pain management plus I stopped falling all of the time within weeks after my Oct 2014 WOE (Way Of Eating) change.

https://theguardian.com/science/2020/mar/06/low-carb-diet-may-reverse-age-related-brain-deterioration-study-finds
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    I could never do keto, i've been eating high carbs my whole life. In fact when I was in my best shape at 5'9 168lbs I was eating 500g of carbs a day, no joke. But I understand keto might be great for certain people.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Curious what exactly do people mean when they say it has “reduced inflammation”?