Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since the ones that are dying seem to have had preexisting health issues it seems while a good stock of toilet paper and canned tuna are nice that working to improve general health is the best goal 24/7/365. The first case in KY and TN have been announced. Locally it is expected to arrive mid April so at least we will have winter behind us.

Maybe being old is a factor at our house but who does not have 24+ of toilet paper on hands at all times?

I had only 2 rolls. Fortunately not a problem here, so now we have a big pack. But my mom reports she is unable to purchase incontinence products.

Looking at the progress in Australia, it doesn’t appear the end of winter is likely to help.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    The progress of coronavirus in Australia??
    It is the end of summer here - not sure what you are saying?

Australia has had a ridiculous stampede on toilet paper for some reason that totally escapes me.

There have been 2 confirmed cases in my state and yet all the supermarkets in my regional town, far from the cases, have sold out of toilet paper - why do people need a years supply of toilet paper???

Hand sanitiser sold out too - but that makes bit more sense. But whole aisles totally bereft of toilet paper???
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The progress of coronavirus in Australia??
    It is the end of summer here - not sure what you are saying?

Australia has had a ridiculous stampede on toilet paper for some reason that totally escapes me.

There have been 2 confirmed cases in my state and yet all the supermarkets in my regional town, far from the cases, have sold out of toilet paper - why do people need a years supply of toilet paper???

Hand sanitiser sold out too - but that makes bit more sense. But whole aisles totally bereft of toilet paper???

Yeah, it's a little extreme!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/120097737/women-fight-over-toilet-paper-in-australian-supermarket

Still plenty of loo paper on the shelves in my little town in New Zealand, though it was being restocked the other day. The hilarious thing is the both Aus and NZ manufacture toilet paper. We're not going to run out.

But yeah, hand sanitiser has been out for weeks.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s become a bizarre phenomenon. They interrupted television programming here yesterday, for a half hour announcement that the first case in my state has been reported. NOTHING was said (except that the unidentified individual had been on a cruise with confirmed coronavirus case) that we haven’t heard many times. IE: good hand washing techniques, coughing/sneezing into elbow etc.
    Concern, yes, but as with so many things, the media is creating a frenzy, and some people may be overreacting.
    I do my weekly shopping on Saturday, and hopefully, I’ll find things I normally purchase available. I won’t be hoarding anything, just my normal, every week shopping trip, and I’m in an at risk group, elderly (68).
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    NicbPNW wrote: »

I'm wondering why is everyone stockpiling toilet paper?!?! That is selling out as quick as water around here!

Funny, I work at Wegmans (East Coast). Toilet paper is flying off the shelves. What are people doing with this? It‘s ridiculous. And then these facial mask shoppers.... ong! I feel like I am in the middle of a science fiction movie 😀
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Exactly @missysippy930 Hand hygiene and cough etiquette is imperative! For people who may think they have the virus they aren’t leper’s, which in my line of work I have found people feel they are. I also do hope people who are worried and have travelled to high risk countries and are symptomatic think of others before running to supermarkets, going out and about, rocking up to a large doctors clinic without putting a mask on ect I’m a nurse and have found that unfortunately people DONT adhere to instructions from health departments and put public at risk by not following instructions. I definitely won’t start buying millions of rolls of toilet paper, but I will be conscious of clean hands and real news from reputable sources, not face book. Still, it’s scary times