• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Awesome race and time @durhammfp!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman WAY TO GO!

Sorry about your GI issues! Getting out is better than not getting out so you still got the thing done!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @durhammfp Great race! I would like to do a race in Durham..
    @7lenny7 sorry about Kody...hope he is alright
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Question: The week after your race, do you ease back into your miles, or do you go back to what you were running pre-taper?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Question: The week after your race, do you ease back into your miles, or do you go back to what you were running pre-taper?

I typically ease back in. Kind of reverse taper (erring on the side of short/easy) and work my way back up to whatever my typical training volume is. Taper usually starts after a peak well over what my normal would be so I don’t build to that again unless it’s part of another race cycle.

But it also depends on the length of the race, the effort I ran the race (I don’t “race” all my races) and what is coming up and how I’m feeling.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So google knows me a little too well. :D:D:disappointed:
    4uimmp9v7t5t.jpg

Wait there's a death valley HALF??
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Today I ran 8.3 miles. I was inspired to do some hills, since we were just talking about them, so I ran uphill for 3 minutes, and downhill for 3 minutes with 3 minutes of flat in between each hill for the first 5 miles, and then I tried to go a little faster to see if I couldn't get my average speed up to 11 minute miles (because I'm stupid and never learn.) I made it another 3 miles before suddenly, I felt like my legs didn't know how to just run naturally. Something was off about my gait, and I couldn't pinpoint what it was, but I only struggled with it for a few minutes until I told myself that if my gait wasn't right, was I trying for an injury? So, I have no idea what that was about. I hope that's not a new thing.

exercise.png

It sounds like you may have run into the classic “jello legs,” which are a thing that happens when running downhills in particular, if you aren’t used to them and spend a lot of effort on braking rather than “flowing” downhill. Sometimes people are surprised to find themselves literally on their hands and knees after attacking hills! Anyway yeah, try new things gradually. I beat up my Achilles’ tendon pretty bad going downhill last year.