• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    freda78 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    We just got some extra dry beans, rice, and gallon jugs of water. We aren't really afraid of the virus, but more of the panicked shoppers that might clear the shelves, lol.

I don’t get the stocking up in water for most folks. Since when does a potential quarantine come with a utility shut off?

I live in a rural area and we have a private company for our water supply that isn't always reliable. Having extra water isn't going to hurt anyone, especially if we wake up to the water being off or coming in off-color.

Where I live in the UK there is zero chance the water will get turned off and it is good quality, yet people are still panic buying bottles of the stuff. It seems to be a sort of madness where some people simply cannot help themselves.

Where do the chemicals that treat your water come from and how do they get there? Supply chain disruption?

Now the chances may be minimal, but my third grade teacher told us that if a test question said something "never or 0% chance" it could happen, false is the correct answer.

You are, if I may be so bold, being somewhat over dramatic and it is your sort of comments that are causing the ridiculous panic that is seeing toilet paper disappearing off shelves across the western world.

If I was not seeing it for myself I would never have believed people would behave like they are currently behaving, but there you are.

You apparently missed my response to someone else up thread, I'll repeat it below

If you read my response, I said the chances are MINIMAL. Can't say never, zero chance.

I'm personally not real worried. I go to a public gym and don't have a bottle of hand sanitizer on a cord around my neck or some other over reaction.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I went to a party last night. Everyone was avoiding shaking hands or cheek kisses doing friendly waves instead. It was kinda good. Also before grabbing pizza people were washing hands. It was great.

I r.e.a.l.l.y. hope this starts to end all the touching between people in general.

Enough with your hugging, virtual strangers. Ick and ugh.

I love that your ick reaction to hugging virtual strangers is eliciting virtual hugs from Internet strangers.

I totally set that one up, didn't I?

:lol:

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

Hugged again, just to be sure you feel the love :tongue:
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I went to a party last night. Everyone was avoiding shaking hands or cheek kisses doing friendly waves instead. It was kinda good. Also before grabbing pizza people were washing hands. It was great.

I r.e.a.l.l.y. hope this starts to end all the touching between people in general.

I love that your ick reaction to hugging virtual strangers is eliciting virtual hugs from Internet strangers.

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

The final straw for me with stranger-hugs was this guy I see at the beach all the time.

I generally steer clear of him because he has boundary issues, and this one time...

He stops me to chat and as I'm trying to walk away he hugs me from the side - I never even saw it coming - with his beachy suntan oil and sweaty naked underarms.

Just. No.

That was the last time I got within six feet of him.

Yuck! People like that just weird me out (and usually end up with a bruise after having warned them to keep their limbs to themselves)

Worse even than the guy telling me to smile cause I'd be prettier at the exit to the grocery store after having braved hoards of zombies panic buying 6 months worth of food. All I needed was a bottle of shampoo, some vitamin d and dad's favorite bbq sauce... nope. Not feeling the need to smile...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

The final straw for me with stranger-hugs was this guy I see at the beach all the time.

I generally steer clear of him because he has boundary issues, and this one time...

He stops me to chat and as I'm trying to walk away he hugs me from the side - I never even saw it coming - with his beachy suntan oil and sweaty naked underarms.

Just. No.

Yuck! People like that just weird me out (and usually end up with a bruise after having warned them to keep their limbs to themselves)

Worse even than the guy telling me to smile cause I'd be prettier at the exit to the grocery store after having braved hoards of zombies panic buying 6 months worth of food. All I needed was a bottle of shampoo, some vitamin d and dad's favorite bbq sauce... nope. Not feeling the need to smile...

I've been going to the store at 6AM when they first open. No one except shelf-stockers are there! It's pretty awesome.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

Just. No.

I've been going to the store at 6AM when they first open. No one except shelf-stockers are there! It's pretty awesome.

Ours open at 7am here, and it is the greatest time to go shopping, even when there aren't angry mobs hoarding TP.

I haven't been out in this much, but decided to pick up some ibuprofen the other night just after 11pm on my way home from work. It was nice and quiet, and the store seemed to still have supplies (although I didn't check for TP or hand sanitizer). That was the evening of our first announced presumptive case. We shall see what happens in the coming days.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

Just. No.

Next time say, "Kicking you in the gonads would give me a reason to smile." :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

Just. No.

UGH. I used to get that a lot when I was waitressing in the 80s. Not now that I'm older, rounder, and do not serve the public.
  • ladyreva78
    Options

Stahhhp hugging me!!!

VOEo2x.gif

Just. No.

Next time say, "Kicking you in the gonads would give me a reason to smile." :D

Saving for future reference :tongue:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Love it! Found the twitter thread and found this there:

941328474d018890b939d77e2a3795db.png

I can attest that 20 minutes does NOT work after cutting a pint of jalapenos for home canned salsa, even soaking in vinegar afterwards does not work. Yes, it helps a little when taking them out but they absorb enough of the oil that it takes a week of soaking them while changing the solution 2x a day to make them wearable again. These days I wouldn't bother but back in the late 80's when special high power toric lenses cost $180 a pair you bet I made the effort.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My brother is totally opposite me on the political spectrum and occasionally falls for doomsday woo. A couple of years ago he bought tubs of food for a family of 4 for 2 months (his family was 2 at the time. He has since added a wife but his daughter is attending college out of state so he is basically 2 with a maybe 3rd). The stuff is supposed to be good for 20 years.

I have been teasing him about it ever since. I am hoping I won't have to eat my words.

I actually ordered free samples from the company thinking it might not be a bad idea to get a 1 person, 1 month tub since I do live in an area that occasionally gets tornadoes and blizzards. I was also thinking the food would be handy for camping and/or backpacking. The stuff was so salty it made my mouth hurt so no thanks.