Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Costco lines on a Thursday morning here in NYC....

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

Everyone has paper towels :smiley:

But no TP here :laugh:

Flood the sewage system with paper towel.. great!

😂
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    lx1x wrote: »

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

Just don't flush those diaper wipes or personal wipes!!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

The thought of wiping with a paper towel makes me shrivel a little.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Kaitie9399 wrote: »
    My school district is closing tomorrow to give the teachers time to prepare 3 weeks worth of online lessons for our students. It's interesting that my perspective changed so quickly from 'why are people panicking?' to, 'hmmm, is my family ready for this?' My answer is yes, we're ready and I think that my school is probably going to close sometime next week. The cases of Covid are creeping closer and closer to home. Calm on the outside for my students, worried on the inside.

I think we are headed that direction. One private middle/high school is closing for a week starting today to deep clean and then evaluate when to reopen. My husband and I have a toddler, so even though we are allowed to telework when necessary, not much work would get done at home. I'm worried about how much support I would receive at work because most of my colleagues are retirement age or at least have kids in high school who are able to be at home unsupervised and can self-entertain.

Yesterday our state had the first reported cases and there was rush on all of the stores. Every grocery store we passed driving home had a packed parking lot. I'm just hoping there is still food and basic supplies left when I do my usual Friday grocery shopping.

I waited... I now regret it. 😩

That's what I'm afraid of. But at this point, I don't think going today vs. tomorrow is going to help either. I'm already wishing I had stocked up on a few extra things last Friday when people locally were only sort of panicking and it was mostly toilet paper that was running out.
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Kaitie9399 wrote: »
    My school district is closing tomorrow to give the teachers time to prepare 3 weeks worth of online lessons for our students. It's interesting that my perspective changed so quickly from 'why are people panicking?' to, 'hmmm, is my family ready for this?' My answer is yes, we're ready and I think that my school is probably going to close sometime next week. The cases of Covid are creeping closer and closer to home. Calm on the outside for my students, worried on the inside.

I think we are headed that direction. One private middle/high school is closing for a week starting today to deep clean and then evaluate when to reopen. My husband and I have a toddler, so even though we are allowed to telework when necessary, not much work would get done at home. I'm worried about how much support I would receive at work because most of my colleagues are retirement age or at least have kids in high school who are able to be at home unsupervised and can self-entertain.

Yesterday our state had the first reported cases and there was rush on all of the stores. Every grocery store we passed driving home had a packed parking lot. I'm just hoping there is still food and basic supplies left when I do my usual Friday grocery shopping.
    We're going this afternoon (just to top up some stuff, not a massive stock-up, as we already have a good pantry and freezer available). I also hope it's not madness. We're going to Aldi, so maybe it won't be as crazy.

Good luck!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I sent my husband to Costco yesterday...he said lines were normal and the only thing they were out of was the Kirkland brand toilet paper. They still had other brands. No shortage of other products, he said.

Of course, it helps that I live in an area with a LOT of Costcos, so not everyone is rushing the same store. There are three alone within 15 minutes of my house, and many more if I drove a bit futher.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

When I was in Outward Bound, we had to use leaves/grass. We’d be SOL now, no leaves or grass, it’s still winter snow, on the ground.

I would prefer fresh leaves, haha. As long as it's not poison ivy. That would suck, lol.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

When I was in Outward Bound, we had to use leaves/grass. We’d be SOL now, no leaves or grass, it’s still winter, snow on the ground.

Hubby and I figure that we have so much fabric in the house, we can treat various cloths and towels similar to cloth diapers if absolutely necessary.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

When I was in Outward Bound, we had to use leaves/grass. We’d be SOL now, no leaves or grass, it’s still winter, snow on the ground.

Hubby and I figure that we have so much fabric in the house, we can treat various cloths and towels similar to cloth diapers if absolutely necessary.

Then comes the whole laundry nightmare.

I realized last night that I'm low on laundry detergent. That went on the list. Bleach.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

Did OB on Hurricane Island back in the 80s. Used my journal. :smiley:
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member

upqlsv7no7lh.jpg

😂

Just don't flush those diaper wipes or personal wipes!!

Or newspaper and corncobs 🤣😂

Or pinecones.. 😝
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Duke & UNC are going strictly online classes, and new cases announced, bringing our total to 12. Seriously starting to question my decision to work in healthcare, when clearly there are many other things I am able to do.

We are in the same area--Cary, NC. Our friends were the "parents" who were just tested but turned out negative--they closed their daughter's school for a day just in case. My husband works at Duke in research, and they are talking about essential/nonessential employees, and whether or not he can work from home for a while. I'm not sure where you work, or what your job is (Dr, nurse?), but I wish you good health while this all plays out!

Oh, wow! I was just reading about them earlier and glad that they are okay!

It's nice to meet you, Neighbor. I'm in Goldsboro and manage the Central Transport department at our facility. So far, so good, here, although we were not thrilled to learn of the case in Johnston this morning. We are staying healthy, eating well, and hoping for the best. Oh, and washing our hands. :wink:
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I picked up supplies to learn how to make my own laundry soap and already soap bars ready to go as well as a mostly full bottle that I had from before that so I'm good on laundry soap.

But this does have me thinking of stocking up on a few things now, such as cleaning supplies and cat food before it gets here.

I do have the option from working at home if it comes to my area though it can be a little difficult if I need a print or something from the office. And I've found it to be distracting.

What does frustrate me is that my company expects us to use vacation time and didn't offer sick leave until you've been out 5 business days. I'm hoping that catching this will still be covered under our short term disability plan if I catch it but am not sick enough to be hospitalized. The company pays for the short term disability insurance but didn't give us a list of what qualifies. With the long length of time that this thing incubates and it takes to get over it, it's definitely going to stretch sick leave plans for those who are lucky enough to have them. I feel really bad for the people who don't have them or work for businesses that could be forced to close temporarily and leave their employees without an income during that period.

How long are those who have it expected to quarantine?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm south of Boston, MA. My Walmart was completely stocked last week when I started the thread. This was the TP aisle today (just a few 4-packs of Charmin and one store brand 4-pack):

aln1pmp7c9zw.jpg

Oh, and there are now pallets of bottled water in the middle aisle where they put seasonal items.

Went back to the store for something I'd forgotten yesterday. The TP section is now completely empty and the paper towel section is half empty.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited March 2020
    The hotel where Rudy Gobert was has closed down for extensive cleaning.
    Many Oklahoma schools are on spring break next week and will have on-line classes instead of coming back.
    The high school state games are still scheduled to go on today. I probably won’t go. I would have.

How much does it help us to do all the right things if other people still act so irresponsibly all around us?

We can protect ourselves against other people who are also trying to protect themselves, but—-

I still think the masks are a good idea. Not to protect you from germs, but maybe to protect you from people who might otherwise cough or sneeze on you, but will, out of fear, stay far enough away from you to not give you their germs.

I completely understand Cher not cancelling earlier than she did. Oklahoma City didn’t have any confirmed cases. Financial losses must be huge. She was on the phone with OKC when we were told Gobert was confirmed and she cancelled right then.

ETA. Another Jazz player is positive. A Jazz player visited Del City high school yesterday. (Another OKC
    Metro area school)