March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    And extra hugs - OK not hugs but foot tap (have you guys seen that, love it!) to everyone whose race is being cancelled, postponed etc. Kia kaha
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @LoveyChar I'm dreading it if it comes to working at home. Yes, it's wonderful to wear whatever I want, but I'm sooo terrible at focusing at home. I'm always wanting to get up and mop the floor or something.

@janejellyroll I actually have my office at home, and that was a serious issue for a long time. I eventually learned to get round it by setting a schedule each morning and not allowing myself to cheat! It takes discipline but it can be done.

That's just what I'm going to have to do if it comes to that for me. I'm glad to know someone else was in the same boat but was able to figure it out.
    I worked from home for years, about 10 I think, and I agree setting a schedule is a must. Not just to keep focused but so your workday doesn't start expanding at either end because of demands from your boss or others at work. If I hadn't I would have been on conference calls at 4am and working until 7 or 8pm. I declined all meetings before a reasonable start time for me and shut off my PC at a normal end of the day. I did have leeway I wouldn't have had in an office setting, like going for a run whenever it fit in my schedule and sometimes even during a conference call if I just need to be present and listen. I could do laundry when I wanted and make a healthy breakfast or lunch and not need to take or pack things. After a while I found I got so much more done without all the interruptions in an office setting but I really missed all those interruptions and discussions with others. It can be done and be enjoyable, you can work it out!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @shanaber That's a good list of things I can look forward to if it comes to it! Thank you.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Glad you made it home in time and, yes, that's an excellent reason to cut a run short. :wink: I've had those "feelings" before. I was sure I was going to embarrass myself once, but manage to control it. After I got home, I didn't even have to go. Go figure. Great pace, BTW!

@Faebert I sub at a daycare, so I know what you mean. You do what you can and hope for the best, knowing that their immune system is getting a workout and hopefully will be able to fight off whatever they are putting in their orifices. Congratulations on improved speed. That's always nice.

• Avidkeo
    Options
    So how supportive is everyone's other halves when it comes to races. My DH is very supportive of me running, happy I do long runs, and now the kids are older doesn't mind me being out a couple of hrs on a Saturday morning doing my long run because when I get home I usually take the kids out. Especially since we moved to our new town.

But I haven't mentioned to him I'm contemplating a marathon because I know his reaction is going to be "why?"

Not that he won't support me but he won't see the appeal. And would probably have some concerns about the length of time needed for training, even though I feel I have that mostly sorted. So I'm holding off mentioning it until I'm about half way through and actually have a sense if I'm going to go through with it.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So how supportive is everyone's other halves when it comes to races. My DH is very supportive of me running, happy I do long runs, and now the kids are older doesn't mind me being out a couple of hrs on a Saturday morning doing my long run because when I get home I usually take the kids out. Especially since we moved to our new town.

But I haven't mentioned to him I'm contemplating a marathon because I know his reaction is going to be "why?"

Not that he won't support me but he won't see the appeal. And would probably have some concerns about the length of time needed for training, even though I feel I have that mostly sorted. So I'm holding off mentioning it until I'm about half way through and actually have a sense if I'm going to go through with it.

My wife also runs marathons...so umm I guess I do not have much to add, but if she did not she would support me 100% I am sure.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Yes, you got it done which is more than I can say for myself at this point.

@Faebert Definitely strange times, I'm in a crazy, long line at Walmart right now and it's ridiculous. People are preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse. This lady walked by talking about how people didn't go into mass hysteria over the flu but are overreacting to this. True, true!

@Avidkeo I have mentioned a couple of times before that mine was the reason I ever even ran one to begin with! I have no advice since you said he's supportive. Who cares if he understands the appeal or not? I do what I want to but I've never worried about whether or not my husband understood the appeal, so insignificant. As long as he watches the kids through the long training runs, that's all I needed mine for. But he was my encouragement and support throughout all of it.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    So on a separate but similar note, mine is registered for a Marathon a year from now. He's bought a Garmin and new shoes and never runs. I wish he would, I really do. Plus he's considering running one in 6 1/2 months. If he got into Marathon ready mode and shape, I'd be thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a long road...
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo My husband is pretty supportive of my training schedule. I’m supportive of his need to spend time in his garage away from the family. It works 😂

@PastorVincent yep, spring race season 2020 is toast. Rock&Roll organization finally put out a statement today, about 24 hours after DC publicly pulled their permits. They’re calling it postponed, really really hope they are able to pull off a make up date in 2020. For a lot of reasons. I’m hoping this works itself out in a matter of weeks instead of months, but I don’t know.

3 miles today.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    I should clarify he would never stop me. And now we have moved and he gets to do his hobby, there is a lot less concern because we have a much better balance here. In our old place he didn't really have a hobby at all. I floated the idea of doing a full marathon then and he wasn't keen, but he probably just saw all the extra time.

So I know he would be supportive, and even be at the finish line. I just expect a "why" with an eye roll and a good luck.

He is most definitely not a runner. @scott6255 hugs. I am lucky he is more ambivalent than openly hostile. I am sorry your wife doesn't see the benefits. Even my husband acknowledges that I'm much happier running, to the point he comments if I haven't been for a run in a few days.