Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    j3hxcurnjj8s.jpg

My husband is using these to make protective gear - if any of you have comments or think it should be improved, please indicate:

Long sleeve cheap disposable poncho with hood.
    clear thin plastic sheet (art shops should stock it).
    air purifier HEPA filter (use double layer, 90 degrees rotated from one another if corrugated)
    DUCK TAPE
    double sided tape and foam strip - place above filter so expelled air goes down to not fog the clear plastic sheet.
    Tie poncho around waist so you don’t get air from below - only the hepa filter.
    Use trash bags as a low skirt, or cut one to make sleeves/leggings by taping up the open side.

Or is he going overboard? We wore that to the pharmacy today and our neighbor thought we were crazy.

If y’all are high risk, the only thing crazy about it is that you shouldn’t be going to the pharmacy at all, but finding someone else to do it for you.

And the pharmacy would not deliver. We did maximum PPE and decontamination.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    So, what I’m praying for at this moment (on top of the other stuff): tomorrow and Friday the storm front which is supposed to dump a bunch of snow on some of the rest of y’all on this thread is supposed to hit us with thunder, rain, possibly tornados. My neighborhood almost always loses power during big storms, and it typically takes the power company hours to get it back on. There were photos in the local paper of empty meat cases at all the local stores. I just hope that the power doesn’t go out for an extended period of time right after everybody has bought all the food, and ruin everybody’s perishables.

Geez I really hope that doesn't happen! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I was wondering if the thermometer had to touch the skin but it doesn't. That's good to know. :#

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/business/coronavirus-temperature-sensor-guns.html

I have a Vicks thermometer and my husband just ordered new batteries on line. None available at the pharmacies. We use "PROBES DISPOSABLE PROTECTORS" to avoid contamination.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Upthread someone asked about the lower death rates in Germany, so I browsed around for a minute. I didn't find anything, but I did find some comments about airborne and objects that match my own views. I know, I know, confirmation bias. But still, I thought I'd share. This is from the Federal Ministry of Health in Germany.

"According to the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, no proven case has been reported to date of a person being infected by consuming contaminated foodstuffs or through contact with objects contaminated with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Nor have there been any reports of other coronaviruses causing infection through foodstuffs or contact with dry surfaces. However, virus transmission by way of smear infection is considered possible from surfaces contaminated shortly before contact. Owing to the relatively poor stability demonstrated by coronaviruses in the environment, it is likely that the window of contamination only exists for a short period."

"...high risk that you have become infected: If within the last two weeks you have had close contact with a person who has contracted COVID-19. Close contact means either that you spoke with the sick person for at least 15 minutes or you were coughed or sneezed on at a time when this person was infectious."

"Relatives can also help by ensuring that living rooms and bedrooms are well aired and pay close attention to regular hand-washing. Contact surfaces, such as tables or door handles, should be cleaned regularly with household cleaners."

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/press/2020/coronavirus.html

I have a few masks here at home, leftover from last year when my daughter was undergoing chemo. I put one on today when I had to run an errand and it alleviated my anxiety of people standing too close to me, even if it's just a brief period of time. I wear woollen gloves, and wash my hands when I get home of course.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.

What they've been saying is that we are following Italy's track, which of course has changed over time. I've seen nothing that disputes that.

Re the Monday statement from the surgeon general:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago

by: Associated Press

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT / Updated: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died. There are about 3,800 cases reported in the United States and so far, more than 65 people have died from coronavirus.

Read more: https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/us-surgeon-general-us-cases-are-where-italy-was-2-weeks-ago/

CDC says 7000 cases in US and 97 deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

However Johns Hopkins says, 7300 and 115 deaths. Ok that’s not the difference I thought I saw the other day... https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html . Anyway I’m probably missing the point about Italy, we’re way past the 1700 unless that’s adjusted per capita.

I would think adjusting per capita would be the right approach. But I don't think you can say precisely how many days behind we are and it likely varies some across the US given how big we are.

Our numbers (in my city and state) are jumping quickly right now in response to increased testing (and we already had a lot more testing than a lot of places). I'm trying to remind myself it's just confirming what we already knew was the case--lots of unconfirmed cases had to be out there.

Saw a guesstimate that for every one positive there are 50 unconfirmed due to testing limitations. So, I give up. Guess y’all can have my tp. 🤪 dh is concerned about looting. Said liquor stores are closed. I mean.. maybe? Can’t that be bought else where? Or made? Or traded? Not everyone is a mad alcoholic, right? And what do I care if they loot the liquor store? Is he asking me out on a date? 🤔

Chicago Trib did a story on liquor sales: https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-liquor-stores-illinois-20200317-yeagx6ordrfidlthmdg3lukq44-story.html
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I do pray those of you in the path of severe storms fare well and keep your power on.

Bexar county updated their virus numbers tonight. We're up to 25 cases now, 8 travel related, 4 close contact and the rest under investigation: https://www.sanantonio.gov/Health/News/Alerts/CoronaVirus

Mind you, the city announced our first case on Friday morning, 3/13. That's a 2400% increase in cases diagnosed in less than a week, but unsurprising given that we're testing more. What is it... expect the numbers to double every day until they level out?

I'm 99% sure the mayor knew the numbers when he had his press conference this afternoon, although they just went public a short time ago. I'm really hoping the additional emergency directives slow the curve way down to give our hospitals adequate time to cope.

They're still not saying "community spread," but it seems unlikely to all be travel related. They technically could be... people coming back from spring break and all, but I won't be a bit surprised if one or more end up being community spread.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.

What they've been saying is that we are following Italy's track, which of course has changed over time. I've seen nothing that disputes that.

Re the Monday statement from the surgeon general:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago

by: Associated Press

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT / Updated: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died. There are about 3,800 cases reported in the United States and so far, more than 65 people have died from coronavirus.

Read more: https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/us-surgeon-general-us-cases-are-where-italy-was-2-weeks-ago/

CDC says 7000 cases in US and 97 deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

However Johns Hopkins says, 7300 and 115 deaths. Ok that’s not the difference I thought I saw the other day... https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html . Anyway I’m probably missing the point about Italy, we’re way past the 1700 unless that’s adjusted per capita.

I would think adjusting per capita would be the right approach. But I don't think you can say precisely how many days behind we are and it likely varies some across the US given how big we are.

Our numbers (in my city and state) are jumping quickly right now in response to increased testing (and we already had a lot more testing than a lot of places). I'm trying to remind myself it's just confirming what we already knew was the case--lots of unconfirmed cases had to be out there.

Saw a guesstimate that for every one positive there are 50 unconfirmed due to testing limitations. So, I give up. Guess y’all can have my tp. 🤪 dh is concerned about looting. Said liquor stores are closed. I mean.. maybe? Can’t that be bought else where? Or made? Or traded? Not everyone is a mad alcoholic, right? And what do I care if they loot the liquor store? Is he asking me out on a date? 🤔

Chicago Trib did a story on liquor sales: https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-liquor-stores-illinois-20200317-yeagx6ordrfidlthmdg3lukq44-story.html

This does not surprise me at all. :D
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    One of the new protocol’s at my husband’s plant is supposed to be taking all employee’s temps before entry - except, they can’t get their hands on any scanner type thermometers!

They're doing this at the factory my husband works at, and they're no longer using the fingerprint scanner to clock in and out. He said this morning they sent a guy away for clocking a fever and he pitched a fit 😳

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I saw this headline this morning and was initially concerned, since my husband and kids are all type A (I'm type O). But in reading over the study results, the evidence doesn't look all that convincing. Definitely would need more research before I'd worry much over it. Of course, kids are seemingly unaffected anyway, but for my husband, anyway.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I saw this headline this morning and was initially concerned, since my husband and kids are all type A (I'm type O). But in reading over the study results, the evidence doesn't look all that convincing. Definitely would need more research before I'd worry much over it. Of course, kids are seemingly unaffected anyway, but for my husband, anyway.

You're correct, there isn't certainty yet but as an A, it'll still remain a concern of mine unless there's definitive proof otherwise.