Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Every time I get brave enough to venture out to a store, I always look for hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes, neither of which I've been able to find. :( I, thankfully, have bleach on hand and will make my own cleaning rags to keep things as clean as I can. But sure would like to find some hand sanitizer, especially for my ds and her dh. :( Has anyone made their own using rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel? I've got the rubbing acohol but I assume I could order aloe vera gel thru Amazon.

I made ours. I had bottles of both on hand. I used about 75% alcohol to 25% aloe. It took it awhile to mix but it works very well. I was looking at the sanitizer they had at the doctor's office on Monday when I was there and it was the exact same ingredients. It smells like alcohol but not for too long. It dries quickly and the aloe keeps your hands from drying out.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Dh said all "non-essentials" to be shut down from Amazon.

When was this? I had heard they were slowing down non-essentials, but I didn't yet know they were shutting down.

https://businessinsider.com/coronavirus-amazon-suspends-all-non-essential-shipments-to-warehouses-2020-3

I am sure this can be read many different ways but it seems to be from Amazon.

This is shipments *to* warehouse, not to customers. Yes, eventually this will impact customers as items fall out of stock in the warehouses and aren't replenished. But there is not yet any indication that shipments to customers are being suspended.

I agree with you.

At this point there are no shortages period even food wise but there are real logistics issues. At some point food and personal items will see shortages if the warehouses are not refilled say at Walmart, Kroger's, etc. That is why some try to have six months of basic food on hand even if it is just dried beans and peas.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Dh said all "non-essentials" to be shut down from Amazon.

When was this? I had heard they were slowing down non-essentials, but I didn't yet know they were shutting down.

https://businessinsider.com/coronavirus-amazon-suspends-all-non-essential-shipments-to-warehouses-2020-3

I am sure this can be read many different ways but it seems to be from Amazon.

This is shipments *to* warehouse, not to customers. Yes, eventually this will impact customers as items fall out of stock in the warehouses and aren't replenished. But there is not yet any indication that shipments to customers are being suspended.

Thanks for clearing that up!
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Gov. Abbott just signed an executive order that goes in effect as of midnight tomorrow through April 3rd: 1) Limits gatherings of 10 or more, 2) closes dining rooms of bars and restaurants and closes gyms/entertainment venues, 3) closes all schools & 4) no visitors to nursing homes/retirement communities/long term care facilities. He also stated that offices/businesses are not closed but are strongly recommended to have only essential personnel come into the office and allow and encourage any who can to work from home.

I'm glad Abbott stepped up to put something in effect for the whole state. Of course, we'll see if that stops the crazies on the coast who have still been gathering in droves at the beaches. :expressionless:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    And all Indiana schools are now closed until May 1 at least.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

This may be dumb, but it's somewhat related and it might be fun trivia. So I'm emetophobic (fear of vomiting) and in my research years ago I read that types A and O are more susceptible to norovirus (that nasty bug that makes you puke out both ends). Something about the proteins in the various types being more or less hospitable to the virus replication. Some genetic thing... Anyway, I was super excited to read that my type B is resistant to norovirus. You rarely get it, but if you do its mild. AB types are neither resistant nor more susceptible. 🤮

This is the best news so far today! I'm AB and I've been stressing about my potential vulnerability (because I tend to obsess like that). In all the bs blood type hype, AB features as a weak hybrid blood type susceptible to all the worst diseases. I shouldn't pay attention but my subconscious apparently likes the cortisol rush.

Thanks for posting that, my subconscious is relieved, even though my rational brain is pretty sure there is grossly insufficient data to support any such conclusions 😊
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »

This may be dumb, but it's somewhat related and it might be fun trivia. So I'm emetophobic (fear of vomiting) and in my research years ago I read that types A and O are more susceptible to norovirus (that nasty bug that makes you puke out both ends). Something about the proteins in the various types being more or less hospitable to the virus replication. Some genetic thing... Anyway, I was super excited to read that my type B is resistant to norovirus. You rarely get it, but if you do its mild. AB types are neither resistant nor more susceptible. 🤮

This is the best news so far today! I'm AB and I've been stressing about my potential vulnerability (because I tend to obsess like that). In all the bs blood type hype, AB features as a weak hybrid blood type susceptible to all the worst diseases. I shouldn't pay attention but my subconscious apparently likes the cortisol rush.

Thanks for posting that, my subconscious is relieved, even though my rational brain is pretty sure there is grossly insufficient data to support any such conclusions 😊

Just to clarify (and not to burst your bubble), I wanted to point out that the PP is referring to Norovirus, not COVID-19, when they say AB is neither resistant nor more susceptible than other blood type. The study on COVID-19 and blood type grouped A, B, and AB together as slightly higher susceptibility than O. Not a peer-reviewed study, as now many are not because they're trying to rush the research (or so I read).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    New Mexico ordered "shelter in place" last night for the entire state. All restaurants and bars are closed except for delivery or pickup. All gyms and other entertainment and recreational facilities are closed. Hotels and such are ordered to remain at half capacity.