Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Our numbers in N.C. jumped from 17 the last time I checked last night to 23 this morning. Our county announced our first one yesterday afternoon. I’m having a time getting my head wrapped around how rapidly this seems to be accelerating, not just here, but all over.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    amusedmonkey, you're in NZ?

Your border protection is probably the best in the world. I hope all goes well.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Our numbers in N.C. jumped from 17 the last time I checked last night to 23 this morning. Our county announced our first one yesterday afternoon. I’m having a time getting my head wrapped around how rapidly this seems to be accelerating, not just here, but all over.

I don't know whether this is reassuring (it shouldn't be, really), and I don't in any way mean to be saying "it's overblown" (it's not), but here in the US, the late roll-out of test kits, now being improved upon, is just statistically likely to give us very quick confirmed-case increases.

Sure, it's partly an effect of the disease contagion, but also an effect of the fact that increasing numbers of people who should be tested (and should've been tested before this) are finally starting to be tested now.

If you look at stories from some of the other countries with somewhat delayed testing, there's a similar effect. It settles out - still to a worrisome rate, but it becomes clear that the early days' reports had statistical distortions in them. We won't have a clear numerical picture, for a bit.

I was wondering about that, when they were giving death toll percentages; how does it affect that percentage when you start factoring in all the people who have a mild version that we don't even know about?

I just checked the CDC map for the US, and WV still does not have any confirmed cases. And yet, the stores in my area are about empty. I like to use cashew milk and the only place I can get it is Krogers in the county seat. I was shocked when I pulled into their parking lot at 9:30 AM to see that EVERY parking spot in the lot was full! Much of the produce aisle had been wiped out, and 3/4's of the organic milks, including my unsweetened cashew milk, were gone. I had to settle for an unsweetened cashew/almond blend. The canned goods were going fast, I was lucky to get a couple of packs of my shelf-stable horizon milks (there were only 3 packs left), and there wasn't a single bag of flour in the store, and very little sugar. And of course, there was absolutely no toilet paper, napkins, or paper towels at all, and only a couple of boxes of tissues. I didn't go to the milk or bread aisle. I warned my poor sister who was going into work there about the crowds, but told her that it should dwindle down as the evening goes on, because with the rate things are getting wiped out, there won't be anything left to sell!

I also stopped at Walmart as I needed cat litter and was still looking for an elusive bag of flour, and all they had left was a couple of bags of King Arthur all-purpose and bread flour. Thankfully, I prefer to use all purpose, so I grabbed a bag of both - I also like to make my own bread. I didn't check the paper products aisle, but figure they were pretty well decimated, too.

My mom called me after I got home as she had gone to the local store on our end of the county and was needing flour and potatoes and had hoped I was still at the county seat. She said the local Krogers on this end of the county had no flour at all, no potatoes, and that the canned goods were wiped out.

And we don't have a confirmed case yet!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    Why is the UK government is taking this slow approach??
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51865915
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

No, I'm in Jordan, but I'm feeling hopeful because both the government and the people are taking this seriously. I'm also glad I'm not seeing any examples of extreme toilet paper hoarding lol - I still don't understand why toilet paper specifically.

I wish I had a link, but there was a kind of convincing comment on BBC World Service last night from a guest in an expert-talk segment.

He advanced an idea (that I won't clearly present here becaus it was kinda nuanced and I was listening while doing other stuff ;) ).

The idea was that it has something to do with hard-wired fears of disease, association of disgust with disease, association of excretory functions with disgust, plus association of hygiene/cleanliness with self-protection/disease-avoidance . . . all at a sub-rational level. Then, poof, in a pandemic, we all go racing out to buy TP.

Maybe? :lol:

Kinda makes sense, although I can't really make that connection in my mind. I haven't felt the urge to buy toilet paper.

I was at the grocery shop today. Some shelves look a bit less stocked than usual, including toilet paper, but no empty shelves or long lines. Rice, sugar, flour, and beans seemed to have the most traffic. Bread bakeries are being hit the hardest by panicked people. Everyone wants to stock up on bread.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

No, I'm in Jordan, but I'm feeling hopeful because both the government and the people are taking this seriously. I'm also glad I'm not seeing any examples of extreme toilet paper hoarding lol - I still don't understand why toilet paper specifically.

I wish I had a link, but there was a kind of convincing comment on BBC World Service last night from a guest in an expert-talk segment.

He advanced an idea (that I won't clearly present here becaus it was kinda nuanced and I was listening while doing other stuff ;) ).

The idea was that it has something to do with hard-wired fears of disease, association of disgust with disease, association of excretory functions with disgust, plus association of hygiene/cleanliness with self-protection/disease-avoidance . . . all at a sub-rational level. Then, poof, in a pandemic, we all go racing out to buy TP.

Maybe? :lol:

Kinda makes sense, although I can't really make that connection in my mind. I haven't felt the urge to buy toilet paper.

I was at the grocery shop today. Some shelves look a bit less stocked than usual, including toilet paper, but no empty shelves or long lines. Rice, sugar, flour, and beans seemed to have the most traffic. Bread bakeries are being hit the hardest by panicked people. Everyone wants to stock up on bread.

Clearly Jordanians are more sensible than the rest of the world!!

The TP thing is a sort of self fulfilling prophesy - some people start to buy in excess because who knows why the things Ann mentioned, it maybe gives a sense of control, etc, then fear of a shortage makes other people think they'd better stock up too, and thus actual shortage. Often when there is absolutely zero chance of actual shortage. Like, no one needs a trolley full of loo paper for two weeks, or even a month.

People who are worried about not being able to get yoghurt - make your own. It's ridiculously easy, you can use milk powder or shelf stable milk instead of fresh, and it is way, way cheaper.

I'm curious to see the effects of NZ's increased border control measures on the whole grocery shopping thing, whether people will feel reassured enough that we're not going to have what happened in Italy happen here, and ease up. Not that I've really seen any evidence of mass panic buying in my small town, other than loo paper having to be constantly restocked, but I think there's been more of it in Auckland, where all the cases are so far. People there went nuts as soon as the first case was announced.