GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere in the media that America is two weeks away from what has happened in Italy... is that true or fake news?

People have been saying that for almost 2 weeks now... so I guess we should see within the next 2-3 days.

The US surgeon general said this on Monday.

I've heard others saying it for quite a bit longer. It's one of those "tomorrow will never come" stories, right? As long as you say "2 weeks" every day for the next several months, it can never be proven wrong.

What they've been saying is that we are following Italy's track, which of course has changed over time. I've seen nothing that disputes that.

Re the Monday statement from the surgeon general:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago

by: Associated Press

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT / Updated: Mar 16, 2020 / 09:44 AM CDT

WASHINGTON — The U.S. surgeon general said Monday that the number of coronavirus cases in the United States has reached the level that Italy recorded two weeks ago, a sign that infections are expected to rise in America as the government steps up testing and financial markets continue to fall.

“We are at a critical inflection point in this country, people. We are where Italy was two weeks ago in terms of our numbers,” U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told Fox News. “When you look at the projections, there’s every chance that we could be Italy.”

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died. There are about 3,800 cases reported in the United States and so far, more than 65 people have died from coronavirus.

Read more: https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/us-surgeon-general-us-cases-are-where-italy-was-2-weeks-ago/

CDC says 7000 cases in US and 97 deaths. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

However Johns Hopkins says, 7300 and 115 deaths. Ok that’s not the difference I thought I saw the other day... https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html . Anyway I’m probably missing the point about Italy, we’re way past the 1700 unless that’s adjusted per capita.

I would think adjusting per capita would be the right approach. But I don't think you can say precisely how many days behind we are and it likely varies some across the US given how big we are.

Our numbers (in my city and state) are jumping quickly right now in response to increased testing (and we already had a lot more testing than a lot of places). I'm trying to remind myself it's just confirming what we already knew was the case--lots of unconfirmed cases had to be out there.

Saw a guesstimate that for every one positive there are 50 unconfirmed due to testing limitations. So, I give up. Guess y’all can have my tp. 🤪 dh is concerned about looting. Said liquor stores are closed. I mean.. maybe? Can’t that be bought else where? Or made? Or traded? Not everyone is a mad alcoholic, right? And what do I care if they loot the liquor store? Is he asking me out on a date? 🤔
    I was tempted to speed through town today. That cop really gonna pull me over if I play the choking, wheezing I travel for work card? Heck the Walmart kid wouldn’t even let me sign for my pick up order. What’s the cop gonna do when I put my license in my mouth before I sign that citation? Haha! I may be cooped up a bit.

I saw the number yesterday of 83% of the infected do not even know it so the number is very high and why it is so risky to be out and come back into the house since it has such a long "hang time". Lows last night was 60F with rain so that is a good think but 80F would be harder on the corona spreading.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Someone mentioned looting, and now I can’t find the post to quote it...

*now, this is through word of mouth, I can’t confirm it* but wanted to mention so people could be aware because it will likely be a reality soon if it isn’t right now...

My aunt in Ohio said they have already had home invasions in her area for food and basic supplies - people kicking in doors at ridiculous hours in the night holding homeowners at gunpoint. (They don’t live in the best area, but also not the worst). Something that had crossed my mind (thanks to a book series I read a couple years ago), but hadn’t really thought would be a reality for our situation just yet.

As this continues, be mindful of locking doors and taking precautions. Start talking about self/family defense now. Get a game plan with any children that might be in the home. We aren’t panicking, but we are aware of what could be as things progress.

I figure that porch pirates're gonna specifically seek Amazon Pantry {was previously: Prime Pantry}, labeled boxes.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I mentioned in the first few pages that I thought there might be some supplements that could come in handy. Understand, supplements aren't proven. However, I did see just yesterday that there's a COVID-19 trial seeing if AHCC, a mushroom derivative, can slow down the progression of the virus. The entire reason they are exploring this is it's unsure if drug manufacturers will be able to keep up (and in my case, we likely wouldn't even be able to get in a hospital). Many coconut derivatives also have proven to slow down OTHER viruses, but it's unclear if they will help with the Coronavirus (Monolaurin, SF 722 by Thorne and Caprylic Acid). Again these are all untested, but if someone in my family would get it, I'm throwing these at it quickly. We don't have many hospitals where I live and a very extreme senior population. Because many of them have believed, until very recently, that it's a media hoax, they have not listened to the calls to self isolate. So here, it's shaping like a colossal disaster unless warmer weather slows it dramatically.

Someone said they hoped they will come up with antivirals that help. They have already found a few. The issue is they don't have enough right now to possibly keep up with the demand.

My wife is somewhat immunocompromised (but she's relatively healthy now), so I'm not taking any chances and working to be as prepared as I can for her health.

I agree with you T1DCarn, I changed my entire health years ago and I'm glad I did. But for many, they can't flip a switch in one month to become healthy. Certainly, try to eat better and maintain fitness as best as you all can.

@MikePfirrman you make a good point but not a lot of people are into eating plant based foods with know antiviral properties for one reason or another.

COVID-19 is not very dangerous to people without health issues we know. I to am thankful with the help of MFP posters I was able to find a Way Of Eating that freed me from Rx meds and gave me back my needed health 5 years ago since I am now 69.

Any way of eating that we can do that reduces our daily viral load increases of odds of never having COVID-19 or a fast recovery if we get it.

Yesterday UPS brought my Amazon order of health supplements in one smaller box that I could pack with ease and that $900 order contained 4 more jars of EV coconut oil. Amazon has stated they are running out of more and more things so since we are told to prepare for this to be a 6-18 month event I am trying to build up a six month supply of supplements of all kind especially mission critical things like magnesium, etc.

Thankfully exposure risks are dropping with most places where people can meet are closed. Since I am out taking the wife to work I can see the traffic is light and McDonald's parking lot is empty.

Keep eating to prevent a premature death and I think that is about the only thing is known to work.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

This may be dumb, but it's somewhat related and it might be fun trivia. So I'm emetophobic (fear of vomiting) and in my research years ago I read that types A and O are more susceptible to norovirus (that nasty bug that makes you puke out both ends). Something about the proteins in the various types being more or less hospitable to the virus replication. Some genetic thing... Anyway, I was super excited to read that my type B is resistant to norovirus. You rarely get it, but if you do its mild. AB types are neither resistant nor more susceptible. 🤮
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/three-members-of-the-same-new-jersey-family-die-after-contracting-coronavirus/

As people read stories like this it will help some better understand the need for social isolation and that COCID-19 is more than an over hyped story.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/three-members-of-the-same-new-jersey-family-die-after-contracting-coronavirus/

As people read stories like this it will help some better understand the need for social isolation and that COCID-19 is more than an over hyped story.

This is incredibly sad. :cry:
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    If this is accurate, this would be a game changer in two ways. One, it would allow those that have had it to again work and help others. Secondly, it would also allow them to take their antibodies and use them to develop a potential "stop gap" vaccine, for lack of better phrases. There has been a lot being thrown around about developing a vaccine from those that have recovered, utilizing their antibodies. Again, I'm not a scientist, so I have absolutely no idea how they do that but reportedly they are working furiously on that. Because once you have the antibodies to defend yourself, it would more (at that point) resemble a common flu. But no one has immunity yet to this -- our kids will in the future, but adults don't.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-immunity-test-090033681.html