• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I knew someone was in NZ.

• cmriverside
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Why is the UK government is taking this slow approach??
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51865915

I was having this discussion a couple days ago when we first went on lock-down here in Washington state.

First, government can't win on this no matter which way they go.

When it becomes money or life, of course it has to be life. UK has socialized medicine that already is struggling so there's another layer.

So that's what's mostly being decided with all the lock-downs in the U.S. Immediate life-saving is the most important thing. (?) Short term pain long term gain?

But my other side says, "Maybe it's best to let this play out as Nature intended."

I don't think that's [necessarily] smart, or maybe it is, but it did cross my mind. Sort of a get-it-over-with stance. Not try to control it...because it's going to likely surprise us in a lot of ways. Like someone said in an article I read, "If this virus becomes too successful it kills all its victims and takes itself out."

If we keep tamping it down it's an annoyance forever. It's a complicated dilemma. I am of the belief it will likely find its own level regardless of what we try to do.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Why is the UK government is taking this slow approach??
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51865915

I was having this discussion a couple days ago when we first went on lock-down here in Washington state.

First, government can't win on this no matter which way they go.

When it becomes money or life, of course it has to be life. UK has socialized medicine that already is struggling so there's another layer.

So that's what's mostly being decided with all the lock-downs in the U.S. Immediate life-saving is the most important thing. (?) Short term pain long term gain?

But my other side says, "Maybe it's best to let this play out as Nature intended."

I don't think that's [necessarily] smart, or maybe it is, but it did cross my mind. Sort of a get-it-over-with stance. Not try to control it...because it's going to likely surprise us in a lot of ways. Like someone said in an article I read, "If this virus becomes too successful it kills all its victims and takes itself out."

If we keep tamping it down it's an annoyance forever. It's a complicated dilemma. I am of the belief it will likely find its own level regardless of what we try to do.

That slow approach would overload the NHS and lead to far more deaths due to people not getting treated.
    As far as killing all its victims and taking itself out, it can still spread for several days (symptoms may appear as much as 14 days after exposure) while the patients are not yet severely ill. If the patients became very sick and died quickly, that would take out the virus.
    https://www.thelancet.com/infographics/coronavirus
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    For Catholics, the Archbishop of Los Angeles has dispensed with the obligation to go to mass the next 3 Sundays. I don't see anything about that on the archdiocese website, but my parish put out a notice. I'm still trying to decide if I will go. I've had what I am about 99% certain is the flu and I'm almost recovered, but I'm not sure I can make it through mass without coughing at least once and I don't want to cause a panic.

I mentioned this earlier, but the Archdiocese of Chicago canceled public mass. Churches that have the capacity are encouraged to broadcast something and people can go into a church for private prayer.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    amusedmonkey, you're in NZ?

Your border protection is probably the best in the world. I hope all goes well.

No, I'm in Jordan, but I'm feeling hopeful because both the government and the people are taking this seriously. I'm also glad I'm not seeing any examples of extreme toilet paper hoarding lol - I still don't understand why toilet paper specifically.

I wish I had a link, but there was a kind of convincing comment on BBC World Service last night from a guest in an expert-talk segment.

He advanced an idea (that I won't clearly present here becaus it was kinda nuanced and I was listening while doing other stuff ;) ).

The idea was that it has something to do with hard-wired fears of disease, association of disgust with disease, association of excretory functions with disgust, plus association of hygiene/cleanliness with self-protection/disease-avoidance . . . all at a sub-rational level. Then, poof, in a pandemic, we all go racing out to buy TP.

Maybe? :lol:

That IS interesting. Although, I was an early TP buyer before the Great TP Panic of 2020, and what I recall thinking at the time was:

1. It's possible I may need to stay in the house for quite a while.
    2. What are things the lack of which would make sheltering in place exceedingly unpleasant and force me to venture out to the store, even if it's the zombie apocalypse out there?
    3. Lack of: TP, toothpaste, soap, laundry detergent, something to drink besides water, and cold cuts.

So I stocked up on TP, along with the rest of the list.

(Froze the cold cuts in 4 ounce servings - good for 2 ish months).
  • cmriverside
    Options
    As far as killing all its victims and taking itself out, it can still spread for several days (symptoms may appear as much as 14 days after exposure)

Eventually there's no one left to infect.

See, it's a circular argument because *some* people are going to die. Some are going to survive. That's the way natural selection works.

If the virus became too good at its mutation eventually everyone dies. Ta da, no more worries about global warming or retirement accounts. The planet gets to start over without humans.

Not a bad thing, perhaps.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    If we don't have enough tests, we're undertesting, and don't know whether the incidence of XYZ virus in the population is higher or lower than the (number of positive tests) divided by (number of tests) . . . but because we're rationing tests to the most severe cases, we're mostly testing highly symptomatic people and getting a high percentage of positive tests, compared to the number of test performed. And, because we're testing the most severe cases as more testing kits become available, the jump in confirmed cases is extra-dramatic.

so once we get a test that is widely available and can be used on much more people, the death toll percentage will fall and eventually level out to a more accurate number which could well be less than the 4-6% estimated now. Right?

Suppose a news report says "Confirmed cases in Town Z are up by 20%". What this means: If we had 20 confirmed cases, we now have 24 cases. We had 20, we added 20% of 20, which is 4, for a total of 24.

What "up by 20%" does not mean: If that initial 20 confirmed cases was 1% of Town Z's population of 2000, we don't suddenly have 1% + 20% or 21% of the population confirmed as having XYZ virus, i.e., it's not suddenly 420 cases. A 100% increase (starting from 20 cases) would mean that 40 people are confirmed to have XYZ virus, not that everyone now has it.

This I get - its the same way businesses pull in people on sales - 10% off! Until you realize its 10% off a $5 product, which means you're still paying $4.50......
  • cmriverside
    Options
    If we don't have enough tests, we're undertesting, and don't know whether the incidence of XYZ virus in the population is higher or lower than the (number of positive tests) divided by (number of tests) . . . but because we're rationing tests to the most severe cases, we're mostly testing highly symptomatic people and getting a high percentage of positive tests, compared to the number of test performed. And, because we're testing the most severe cases as more testing kits become available, the jump in confirmed cases is extra-dramatic.

so once we get a test that is widely available and can be used on much more people, the death toll percentage will fall and eventually level out to a more accurate number which could well be less than the 4-6% estimated now. Right?

Yes.

• sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    jthillk wrote: »
    My family traveled to Oklahoma this weekend to visit other family (military) that was in the states from South Korea temporarily. Once we got to Oklahoma we discovered that virtually the entire city was without water for most of our trip. I feel like the Coronavirus is out to get me.

I live in Oklahoma and haven't heard of any town being out of water. Where were you?!?!