Coronavirus prep

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Switzerland banned gatherings of more than 1000 people a week ago. We're still stuffed like sardines in the commuter trains. :neutral:

We're 10th in the ranking of case numbers. We're *only* had 3 deaths so far, but that probably was luck more than anything else.

There's talk of the army setting up the emergency hospitals (which are in protected underground locations and are meant to be used in times of war to keep the sick and injured safe).

The mayor of New York City is catching a lot of flack from late night comics for his suggestion to avoid crowded subway cars...because who would CHOOSE that?

Subway ridership here has went down significantly... as well as the buses. Something is working.

I was listening to the NPR radio show Hear & Now earlier and the host said he was on a plane yesterday - with only 8 passengers.

Lots of discussion about the airline industry. One person was opposed to any bailouts for airline corporations unless they also waive fees for people who have to cancel their flights.

I was on a plane yesterday and it had more than eight people, but was still one of the least crowded planes I've been on for a while. I had the entire row to myself.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Been lurking in this thread for a couple of days, thought I'd drop in the latest from Ireland. At the time of writing we have around 34 confirmed cases in the Republic (South of Ireland) and there are further cases in Northern Ireland (which fall under the UK's stats).

*snipped*

Schools and universities are open as normal. There has been no overall ban on large gatherings. There was a huge unnecessary political debate between the IRFU and the Minister for Health about the cancellation of the Six Nations Ireland v Italy game, with noone initially wanting to take responsibility for the cancellation of the game. The St Patrick's parades were going to go ahead, then they weren't, then they were and now have finally been cancelled.

Panic buying seems to be a bit hit and miss, some commuter towns have absolutely no toilet roll, pasta, etc on the shelves but city centre supermarkets are pretty quiet compared to normal with full stocks of everything.

I keep a mild interest in the media around it for work purposes (I deal with international travel for our employees) but I get most of my facts and figures from this site, which deals mostly in just stats without the fear-mongering sensationalist headlines. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and keep an eye on major airlines sites such as Cathay Pacific to see what the story is with current travel restrictions.

I am not in the panic stage myself, I have some meals prepped in the chest freezer, adequate normal supplies of cleaning products and consumables, as I normally buy large packs anyway to cut down on plastic waste. I am of the opinion that it is here now, it is going to affect us all at some stage whether directly or indirectly, we can just do our best to minimise the risk to ourselves and to those around us by practicing good hygiene, sensible risk assessment and doing what we can to maximise the effectiveness of the immune system through decent sleep, healthy diet, exercise, etc.

Just heard: now we know it is bad because the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Chicago was just cancelled. The New York one, which has been held every year since 1762, so far is still happening. If they shut that one down, we know the Apocalypse is upon us.

Or, perhaps, if the New York one is not cancelled, that decision will bring the Apocalypse upon us.

(^^^ Intended as a wry, dark-humor joke. Clearly, authorities' role in managing large-attendance events is a serious consideration when it comes to the spread of the virus, and each decision is nuanced and specific. I hope they are well-advised by true experts. While I think authorities are capable of bad decisions (of course), I think it's much more common for some non-experts' "gut feelings" (mistaken for reasoning or common sense) to be less functional than the reasoning of experts who've studied and worked in a field for years to decades, and for some of those non-experts to trumpet their views, arrogantly, as more true and sensible than the eggheads'. Possible? Sure. Likely? No.)

No matter what decision they make it will be judged in hindsight like many of the other decisions have been. It is always easy to know what the right choice is/was if you know the outcome. It might always seem like erring on the side of caution is prudent but if we all did that we would be permanently paralyzed because there is no safe. How many people in lock down areas will die in their homes alone because they were not in public when they had a medical emergency like a heart attack or stroke?

Although I don't think people should completely lock themselves in their houses (unless mandated or officially encouraged), canceling large events and celebrations is common sense if we are to contain this. This isn't about personal risk - nobody is safe anywhere, it's about slowing down the spread and flattening the curve. It isn't just about the virus itself, either. When you get an outbreak that continues to tax the healthcare system, even those who have a medical emergency in public may not get adequate care.

I am not the one making the choices and I am not sitting on the data for the optimal conditions for transmission. I also do not know the science of crowd flow. I mean it is not like every single person will be in close proximity to every other person. It could be that being indoors in a hotel ballroom during a business meet and greet is more of a spread hazard than a larger group outside. I don't know. If the parade is held though I doubt it is a cavalier choice with full disregard to safety but maybe it is.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to take my two boys on a Colorado road trip for Spring break which culminates with a Supercross motorcycle race at Mile High Stadium in Denver. I'm kind of at a loss right now...the boys have been looking forward to this since November. I kind of hope they cancel the event and take that decision out of my hands...and so that I can at least get my money back as it was a bit over $200...I'd also have to eat around $400 worth of lodging because I got a smoking deal at a Marriott but had to pay upfront with no refunds for cancellation. All of my other lodging can be cancelled up to 24 hours before.

I still have a few weeks until I have to decide, so I guess I'll just watch how things go.

The race I was supposed to run this weekend was cancelled (along with about 284995050605 others according to my emails). I wouldn’t count on a refund though (especially if the event is cancelled close to the date) - unless there’s an existing refund policy for the race.

But many travel providers (airlines, hotels, etc) are relaxing change and cancellation policies - many currently have waivers for travel dates through the end of April. So you may do better there than you think.

If you end up not going.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I would like to remind younger folks that think they'll do just fine with the virus, that if left to run like a house on fire it may morph into something stronger. It' prudent to try and slow it down so it's managable. Northern Italy has seen younger people hit along with the older. I sure hope this thread can keep going without a lock, because I'll be very interested to see everyone's opinions in a couple of weeks or so--I'll bet that they'll change.
    I would like to remind younger folks that think they'll do just fine with the virus, that if left to run like a house on fire it may morph into something stronger. It' prudent to try and slow it down so it's managable. Northern Italy has seen younger people hit along with the older. I sure hope this thread can keep going without a lock, because I'll be very interested to see everyone's opinions in a couple of weeks or so--I'll bet that they'll change.

A lot of opinions will change. I know mind is changing as patterns are starting to take shape.

The kids in the article hit me hard. They are trying to flee from bad things and now are running into threats they can not see and do not understand. Actually I am not sure any of us can see and understand these events.

https://project-syndicate.org/commentary/coronavirus-nationalist-blame-game-by-gregory-a-maniatis-and-monette-zard-2020-03
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    kgasmz34i5zm.jpeg
    Herd immunity More people with it protects babies y those who cannot get the flu shot. At least that’s what Doctors say to me. My 1st reaction was as a kid was to protect me but nope 👎 I had to be transported from my family doctor to ER.As an adult worked in a hospital setting my job gave me the shot I stopped breathing crashed my car had to go to the ER.

My anaphylaxis flu shot allergy is not due to eggs 🥚. I can’t wear makeup as a teen tried kept ending up getting shots at the ER for a reaction. I’m also allergic to a few medications same ingredient of course. Good news is their creating flu vaccines for folks like me so I have hope! In a few years If they figure out create it I’ll be at my doctors for a special ordered version of the shot. That means my Dad y 90+yr old Grandma will be able to go to their doctor also for it when that happens.(Only 4 relatives who are anaphylactic to it rest no issue or just hives ). I’m not allergic to any other vaccine so I am super up to date even on Hep A& B.

I heard good news in an article I read last night wish I could find it again for you guys.I should have posted last night after thought 💭 comes with my older age on top of mom brain 🧠. The new vaccine their trying to make for this takes allergies in consideration is nothing like the flu shot at all! That’s great excellent miraculous news for my family who believes in shots if one isn’t deadly allergic.
    By what I understand it’s so different from the actual flu is why.

Here’s hoping their successful soon for us all. Even if I’m anaphylactic to this one I’ll get it anyways they can just save me in the ER attitude at this point. Just want my baby protected he’ll be in line for him to get it .

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/coronavirus-scientists-play-legos-with-proteins-to-build-next-gen-vaccine/

Never mind found it! Mice antibodies
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/new-york-biotech-company-working-make-antibody-treatment-coronavirus-n1154566

Can’t use flu vaccines luckily for me for a new vaccine against this .Here’s that article https://www.livescience.com/getting-flu-shot-help-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Flu shot allergies that are anaphylactic are super rare
    CDC recommendation for flu shots
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/general.htm

Pushing the Dislike Button does not make peanut 🥜 allergies to medication allergies go away or magically not exist. If it did That would be so nice!

Italy to China question: What I’ve been wondering is it easier for a person in the city or country side in a nation wide or large area shut down??? Any guesses even what you guys think?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Switzerland banned gatherings of more than 1000 people a week ago. We're still stuffed like sardines in the commuter trains. :neutral:

We're 10th in the ranking of case numbers. We're *only* had 3 deaths so far, but that probably was luck more than anything else.

There's talk of the army setting up the emergency hospitals (which are in protected underground locations and are meant to be used in times of war to keep the sick and injured safe).

The mayor of New York City is catching a lot of flack from late night comics for his suggestion to avoid crowded subway cars...because who would CHOOSE that?

Subway ridership here has went down significantly... as well as the buses. Something is working.

I ride the L (Chicago, Brown line) daily and it has not seemed at all less populated.
  • lemurcat2
    I fully support city officials who choose to shut down large gatherings, but also support those who do not. I just hope each decision was made after careful consideration of the newest information, especially info specific to their region. The South by Southwest Festival in Austin next week was cancelled about a week ago despite protests from the organizers that it would severely impact the economy of the city. Yes, many actions can ding the economy, but an outbreak because of the large gathering can also hurt even more.

Reflecting on this and how it compares to the Spanish Flu: on one hand, we are in a better place because we know more about how disease spreads and how to contain one. On the other hand, we also have too much information and it can be hard to sift through everything to get to the useful stuff. Also, there are more people traveling, living in cities, commuting to work, eating away from home, going to movies and sports, and generally coming in contact with other people. The Flu pandemic wouldn't have been quite so bad if it hadn't happened at the end of WW1. Between soldiers living in close proximity, then coming home to family and neighbors it wouldn't have spread quite as quickly.

For anyone interested in reading an excellent book about the Spanish Flu pandemic, Gina Kolata's "Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It" is excellent.

I haven't read that but have read Kolata and think she's a good writer.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Kshama2001- oh my lord theirs nothing on those shelves at all! We thought it was bad here! Yikes 😳 . Try online for some or other stores.The diaper isles here keep looking like that so they had 1 1/2 isles instead of half of 1 now at Sam’s Club .
  • lemurcat2
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to take my two boys on a Colorado road trip for Spring break which culminates with a Supercross motorcycle race at Mile High Stadium in Denver. I'm kind of at a loss right now...the boys have been looking forward to this since November. I kind of hope they cancel the event and take that decision out of my hands...and so that I can at least get my money back as it was a bit over $200...I'd also have to eat around $400 worth of lodging because I got a smoking deal at a Marriott but had to pay upfront with no refunds for cancellation. All of my other lodging can be cancelled up to 24 hours before.

I still have a few weeks until I have to decide, so I guess I'll just watch how things go.

The race I was supposed to run this weekend was cancelled (along with about 284995050605 others according to my emails). I wouldn’t count on a refund though (especially if the event is cancelled close to the date) - unless there’s an existing refund policy for the race.

But many travel providers (airlines, hotels, etc) are relaxing change and cancellation policies - many currently have waivers for travel dates through the end of April. So you may do better there than you think.

If you end up not going.

I was thinking about doing one of our largest local races, the Shamrock Shuffle, on March 22, but decided it would likely get canceled. Hoping this is all over before my favorite neighborhood race, the Ravenswood Run, on 4/26, but am not signing up in advance this year.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Kshama2001- oh my lord theirs nothing on those shelves at all! We thought it was bad here! Yikes 😳 . Try online for some or other stores.The diaper isles here keep looking like that so they had 1 1/2 isles instead of half of 1 now at Sam’s Club .

Just tried to do my regular weekly shopping on Amazon Fresh and things that have never been out of stock are all of a sudden gone. Crazy.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I fully support city officials who choose to shut down large gatherings, but also support those who do not. I just hope each decision was made after careful consideration of the newest information, especially info specific to their region. The South by Southwest Festival in Austin next week was cancelled about a week ago despite protests from the organizers that it would severely impact the economy of the city. Yes, many actions can ding the economy, but an outbreak because of the large gathering can also hurt even more.

Reflecting on this and how it compares to the Spanish Flu: on one hand, we are in a better place because we know more about how disease spreads and how to contain one. On the other hand, we also have too much information and it can be hard to sift through everything to get to the useful stuff. Also, there are more people traveling, living in cities, commuting to work, eating away from home, going to movies and sports, and generally coming in contact with other people. The Flu pandemic wouldn't have been quite so bad if it hadn't happened at the end of WW1. Between soldiers living in close proximity, then coming home to family and neighbors it wouldn't have spread quite as quickly.

For anyone interested in reading an excellent book about the Spanish Flu pandemic, Gina Kolata's "Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It" is excellent.

I read the Gina Kolata's book, and it was really good.