Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Emergency services would be open. Grocery online only maybe curb side still of course workers keep working inside. Shipping companies open. Everything else closed by what I understand.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the economic and psychological consequences of such a complete shut down would likely cause more deaths than the virus.

You're correct. I saw via a YouTube video of Reddit, that there're laid off employees calling into the suicide prevention hotlines.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.

I don't know about Lowes but in my neighborhood Facebook group people were disgusted at how many people were buying plants at one of the local stores. I've been starting a ton of old seeds and need more potting soil, I'm so tempted to go buy some to plant more seeds but between herbs, heirloom tomatoes, and cucumbers I really don't have the room and will already be giving away a lot. I'm higher risk too because of health problems so I should keep my rear at home anyhow, the grocery store was more than enough.

Speaking of the grocery stores my stores were out of the expected, what surprised me was the $5 plastic bins of spring greens/spinach were gone and packaged salad mixes were gone. One store didn't have any yogurt under $10 and the other had a little and the only white meat was chicken legs which I don't eat. I think the neighborhood wild turkeys may be looked at in a new way!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I wish that people that thinks that the present health situation is not a big deal or that they are immune because they are young and healthy, read this posting.

Emma, a 12-year-old girl, is "fighting for her life" in an Atlanta hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to her cousin.
    Justin Anthony told CNN that Emma was diagnosed with pneumonia on March 15 and tested positive for coronavirus on Friday night. As of Saturday, she was on a ventilator and is currently in stable condition, Anthony said.
    Emma had no pre-existing conditions. She has not traveled recently and it's unknown how she contracted the virus, according to Anthony.
    Children's Healthcare of Atlanta-Scottish Rite Hospital confirmed that a current patient tested positive for Covid-19, though it declined to go into details."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/georgia-coronavirus-girl-hospitalized/index.html
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    A coworker in her late 60s asked me a question that I honestly don't know the answer to. "Since I'm in a high risk group, am I just supposed to stay quarantined for a year? Until they find a consistently effective treatment or a vaccine? Not hug my grandkids? Not celebrate holidays with family? Not go anywhere there might be a crowd?"

All I could think to tell her is to do it for the time being to allow the pros to learn more about the virus, and that every day she can maintain it increases what they know, but I could tell it sounded as empty to her as it did to me.

This is what they're telling us, so see if it sounds good to you as a response. Right now isolation will slow down the rate of infection. If a senior goes to the hospital when the doctors are exhausted and the hospital is overcrowded--your chances of recovery are less. If they can slow things down and eventually you get it, you'll be treated with everything they've got. We just had a 95 year old woman that recovered and they were interviewing her. So, it's not a death sentence, by any means. We just want to give people like her a fighting chance. If we all do this and give the scientists a breathing space, we'll come out of it. But the population has to be really behind this.

Thank you :heart:
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @snowflake954 thank you
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This looks to be a reasonably well-researched article about food safety (with reference to recent coronavirus research, handling takeout for consumers and providers, groceries, etc. ). Caveat: I'm not an authority, so I'm not even remotely in a position to critique his thinking, but feel like there are reasonable signs he's done his homework.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

Agreed that it seems like a good piece, and I think he's a responsible writer in general from past experience with him.

One benefit of the stay at home thing here is that there's really no reason for many people to be out in their cars, and so I could easily run in the streets around my neighborhood should there be more people on the sidewalks than I've noticed, and we can all easily avoid each other.

The ghost town feel continues to be really weird, though. Although my neighborhood streets are pretty quiet in general, the one I'm on is ordinarily used as a feeder to some other streets, so usually has some amount of car traffic, and has almost none at all today. More striking, I'm quiet close to a busy north/south street (it's between me and an area I like to run in) that currently seems to have almost nothing other than its bus route (public transit is continuing for those reliant on it).

WF/amazon prime delivery did seem to be up and running here today.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    This looks to be a reasonably well-researched article about food safety (with reference to recent coronavirus research, handling takeout for consumers and providers, groceries, etc. ). Caveat: I'm not an authority, so I'm not even remotely in a position to critique his thinking, but feel like there are reasonable signs he's done his homework.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

Agreed! This is very much in line with what I've heard from doctors and public health officials, and is a really good summary I think
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.
    Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

Landscape and pool care? :/

I don't know about pool care issues, but unmown lots can become havens for rodents. Also, these are outdoor jobs with plenty of room for social distancing, and generally easily done without any contact with the residents.

I have a pool. If they aren't kept up or if equipment goes down, they can quickly become cesspools. Other than opening and closing and equipment repair (unless pretty minor), I clean and do all of the chem work on my pool, but a lot of people do hire that out.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Agreed that it seems like a good piece, and I think he's a responsible writer in general from past experience with him.

One benefit of the stay at home thing here is that there's really no reason for many people to be out in their cars, and so I could easily run in the streets around my neighborhood should there be more people on the sidewalks than I've noticed, and we can all easily avoid each other.

The ghost town feel continues to be really weird, though. Although my neighborhood streets are pretty quiet in general, the one I'm on is ordinarily used as a feeder to some other streets, so usually has some amount of car traffic, and has almost none at all today. More striking, I'm quiet close to a busy north/south street (it's between me and an area I like to run in) that currently seems to have almost nothing other than its bus route (public transit is continuing for those reliant on it).

WF/amazon prime delivery did seem to be up and running here today.

As to cars, I believe it is bad for my hybrid battery to sit too long. I should take it out for a drive at least every 2 weeks, maybe every week.