How Has the Coronavirus Affected You?

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    03/22/2020 - went in search of the ever elusive chicken yet again. Came home disappointed as nowhere in this city of hundreds of thousands of people has chicken on its shelf.

Apparently, the South runs on chicken and toilet paper. Who knew?

What is in your stores? Were all fresh meat products gone? Any produce?

To answer this question:

Surprisingly, booze. Lots of booze. Also, some produce and a crap-ton of coffee and tea. That's about it. Oh, and fresh flowers.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    Yet another species affected: Been looking at a horse for a couple weeks and we were able to still finalize the sale and pick her up yesterday. Old owner was relieved since her husband just got laid off and her hours were getting cut drastically. I don't want to look at the sale sights and see all the people being forced to sell their horse right now due to the financial impact. I really hope the horse community tries to come together and help each other out and we don't see a big spike in neglect cases, they aren't cheap animals to take care of.
    It’s difficult. A friend gives lessons and boards and she’s had to canceled all lessons and tell owners not to visit. And still find the funds to care for these animals she loves.

Out of curiosity, is she asking owners not to visit so people don't spread the virus to each other or can humans infect animals? Are there any animals with CV?

It’s about human to human spread and it’s mandated by the state.
    akuno9zw397k.jpeg
    Eta: there is some sketchy info about covid-19 in dogs. Very unclear

The meeting I was in yesterday stated that at this point dogs, and other animals, don't appear to contract the virus. However, they may be carriers of it. Dogs have shown to have the virus in their noses, and if they sneeze, could spread it to humans. It was highly suggested that pet owners, dog owners in particular, do not allow their animals to wander or come in proximity to other people. The physical distance rules should apply to them as well.

Thanks triple x 😉

Seriously, that’s helpful
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yet another species affected: Been looking at a horse for a couple weeks and we were able to still finalize the sale and pick her up yesterday. Old owner was relieved since her husband just got laid off and her hours were getting cut drastically. I don't want to look at the sale sights and see all the people being forced to sell their horse right now due to the financial impact. I really hope the horse community tries to come together and help each other out and we don't see a big spike in neglect cases, they aren't cheap animals to take care of.
    It’s difficult. A friend gives lessons and boards and she’s had to canceled all lessons and tell owners not to visit. And still find the funds to care for these animals she loves.

Out of curiosity, is she asking owners not to visit so people don't spread the virus to each other or can humans infect animals? Are there any animals with CV?

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

The meeting I was in yesterday stated that at this point dogs, and other animals, don't appear to contract the virus. However, they may be carriers of it. Dogs have shown to have the virus in their noses, and if they sneeze, could spread it to humans. It was highly suggested that pet owners, dog owners in particular, do not allow their animals to wander or come in proximity to other people. The physical distance rules should apply to them as well.

Thanks triple x 😉

You're welcome. The person who gave the information was a researcher of veterinary medicine with a special interest in infectious diseases. So, I felt pretty confident that she knew what she was talking about. ;)

On a positive note, she did say that because corona viruses occur in animals, she believes they may find something in use on the animal side which may help. However, she did caution that even if they did, it may take some time due to testing and then approval for use in human. The downside is that if something is found, they have no long term studies to ensure that it won't cause problems in humans down the line.

Was really kind of a mixed bag of information. But, was a good meeting nonetheless.

Now off to shave my head and see if I can look like Vin Diesel. ;)
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    03/22/2020 - went in search of the ever elusive chicken yet again. Came home disappointed as nowhere in this city of hundreds of thousands of people has chicken on its shelf.

Apparently, the South runs on chicken and toilet paper. Who knew?

What is in your stores? Were all fresh meat products gone? Any produce?

To answer this question:

Surprisingly, booze. Lots of booze. Also, some produce and a crap-ton of coffee and tea. That's about it. Oh, and fresh flowers.

I've yet to venture out to the stores, since I'm not in desperate need & with asthma, would rather just stay away until I have no choice but to go out for food. But, since market shelves are bare, I was curious if anyone has visited Dollar Stores, if they're even still open?

I rarely visit & then it's just for cleaners or windshield wash fluid for my car, but they always have 2-4 isles of processed, canned & packaged food. Since they carry food, I was wondering if they can be considered essential?

I took a long walk yesterday. All biz's were closed, but the Home Depot's parking lot was filled with cars & people driving in & out. Odder still, the carwash was still open, too & they had customers... one bank, too, at least the drive-thru. The supermarkets are miles down that road, on the highway, so I've yet to see what's going on there.

Oh, & how are pet owners faring? Is there plenty of dog/cat food at stores, from what you've seen?
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

Thanks triple x 😉

You're welcome. The person who gave the information was a researcher of veterinary medicine with a special interest in infectious diseases. So, I felt pretty confident that she knew what she was talking about. ;)

On a positive note, she did say that because corona viruses occur in animals, she believes they may find something in use on the animal side which may help. However, she did caution that even if they did, it may take some time due to testing and then approval for use in human. The downside is that if something is found, they have no long term studies to ensure that it won't cause problems in humans down the line.

Was really kind of a mixed bag of information. But, was a good meeting nonetheless.

Pics please. The apocalypse doesn’t happen every day
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

Thanks triple x 😉

The mind is a terrible thing to waste... 😉

0fax09xnrxzk.jpeg
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

Thanks triple x 😉

0fax09xnrxzk.jpeg

Nice setup
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't been too affected - yet
    Business as usual, altho we've started a locked door policy - letting no more than 2 people into our waiting room (Veterinary clinic)
    My fingers seem to be having a bad reaction to wearing the nitrile gloves all day- dry and sensitive, and breathing with a surgical mask on all day causes intermittent panic episodes (not bad tho, just with the breathing - Ive done waaaay worse)

I'm glad, for now, I still have a job

I 100% don't feel like I get it, yet
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

Thanks triple x 😉

0fax09xnrxzk.jpeg

Nice setup

Thanks. Although, I suppose now I can put that tin of Crew away. ;)
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options
    Forgot to mention that yesterday when I ventured into an almost empty Winn-Dixie that I ran across a guy wearing a full on respirator. Not a face mask, a respirator. Like this:

s-l1000.jpg

I'm starting to forget whether I live in reality.. or a survival horror game. Things are getting trippy.
    Yeah, the medical masks are in short supply and needed by healthcare. I imagine we’ll see a lot more creative face covering by the public.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that yesterday when I ventured into an almost empty Winn-Dixie that I ran across a guy wearing a full on respirator. Not a face mask, a respirator. Like this:

s-l1000.jpg

I'm starting to forget whether I live in reality.. or a survival horror game. Things are getting trippy.
    Yeah, the medical masks are in short supply and needed by healthcare. I imagine we’ll see a lot more creative face covering by the public.

To be fair to him, the person wearing said mask was an older gentleman and it was late in the day, so I suspect he was trying to properly protect himself. It was just disconcerting, even though he was quite pleasant.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    edited March 2020
    Options

s-l1000.jpg

To be fair to him, the person wearing said mask was an older gentleman and it was late in the day, so I suspect he was trying to properly protect himself. It was just disconcerting, even though he was quite pleasant.

When I finally have to go out I’m going cowboy style
    eta: @tinak33 I’ll wave from 6 feet away.
    k1ep44jmb9av.jpeg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

ugh I have heard there has been an increase of people surrendering their dogs in fear of getting it form them. But, most likely, your dog got it from you so thats an extreme reaction to that news. please dont start dumping your pets people!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I'm actually wondering if I had the virus a couple months ago...this German backpacker girl coughed on me. I was very congested...I was basically stuck in bed two days at one stage with a fever.

I've been wondering if I had it back in January, I was admitted in the hospital with fever and i had all the symptoms now that I think of it.. I had this 'cold' for 9 weeks!

There is an antibody test already being used (I think in China and South Korea). As countries start moving through their outbreaks they need to start using these to help identify those who had the virus and were asymptomatic. It is assumed there are alot of those types of people. That test is a good way to "clear" people so they can get back to work and help get society back to normal again. We will have to continue to be aware of surface transfer (keep handwashing and so on), but these people are unlikely to shed virus themselves.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

ugh I have heard there has been an increase of people surrendering their dogs in fear of getting it form them. But, most likely, your dog got it from you so thats an extreme reaction to that news. please dont start dumping your pets people!

If that is actually happening, those people should be barred from ever again being owned by a pet. :rage:

• ataleforthetimebeing
    ataleforthetimebeing Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

If that is actually happening, those people should be barred from ever again being owned by a pet. :rage:

Your dog cannot get Coronavirus
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Tesla, GM, and Ford are converting lines in order to start the manufacture of ventilators. Other manufacturers are also going to start making masks. Some good news.