WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    FYI one and all. They are finally recommending we should change out of our clothes immediately upon returning home from any outing requiring us to venture in to another facility (store, doctor's office, meal pick up, etc.).

This is something everyone should probably have been doing since the beginning of this thing and is a reminder I will be putting on my reminder list.

Heather - Perfect analogy with the glitter.

Kylia - I still think your business is a required one. You are keeping so many others employed. And, as I keep thinking - the grass will still grow. I feel for the yes/no open thing going through your thoughts. Maybe, a one only in the store policy - as each client comes in the door is locked until their transaction is done and as they exit the next one comes in? Just thinking outside the box as I am not sure the size of your store. An attorney here has started drive up services for paper drop off, pick up, and general questions. For any client needing a face-to-face there is a designated area that is away from all of the employees, provides social distancing, and is wiped down after every meeting. People are certainly getting creative.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    FYI one and all. They are finally recommending we should change out of our clothes immediately upon returning home from any outing requiring us to venture in to another facility (store, doctor's office, meal pick up, etc.).

This is something everyone should probably have been doing since the beginning of this thing and is a reminder I will be putting on my reminder list.

I do that anyway. I don't have any desire to stay in my dressed-up work attire when I get home. About 10 seconds after I'm through the door I'm into stretchy pants (but not sweats - they're too hot and scratchy) and a tank top.

I've also washed the cardigan I wear to and from work.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Regarding masks ... this is WHO's advice:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Check out the site above, it has some explanatory videos and then it has this set of posters. Sorry they're large here, that's how they copy and paste across.

Basically, unless you're prepared to do all this ... don't use masks.

min9uvq3bmpu.png

dqnva3x0660w.png

jxymxamma0bm.png

95itfklvbucm.png

7m3gh4q6dohd.png

noemk6n0jtu9.png

• Machka9
    Options
    Also for interest's sake ...

5aautrrg4uq3.png

As I'm sure you know by now, that information comes from WHO's Situation Reports:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Happy Mothers Day to all those who celebrate Mothers Day today

Heather – great looking pizzas. Makes me want some

Yesterday’s warm weather was enough of a tease for me to wash our blanket. Vince says it’s supposed to be cold tonight. Well, we have other blankets

Carol – I usually don’t do a whole lot of shopping at Sam’s. Do they have large bags of frozen fruit/vegetables?

Just cleaned the bathroom. I told you I’d have the cleanest house in Newton! Anyway, I took everything out of the linen closet. Found things I don’t use and won’t use so they will go to the Salvation Army

Another thing that I would like to see is that those kiosks in fast food places where you place your order and then they make it up, I would like to see it somehow get disinfected. But I don’t know how that can be accomplished

SuziQ – clean fun….ROTF

Monday here: did the Ultimate Weight Training and Cardio DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Dressed Down Drills DVD

I wonder….you know how when you go to buy gas one of the things you need to do (if you are paying with a credit card) is input your zip code? Well, what would spraying the keypad with a disinfectant first do? That might also work for kiosks where you place your order

About what will change when all this is over? I’m guessing that there will be more videoconferencing, especially with company’s branches in other countries. I think companies will see a cost savings. They will also allow more people to work at home thus making it possible for them to have a smaller office which will mean less rent. I hope people will get out of the mindset of having to run to the store for one or two items, although this I doubt will happen. People hopefully will learn to have enough supplies for a week or more rather than a few days.

Barbara – I had those flushable personal wipes from when either Vince or his mother was in the hospital a while ago. I have a bag for my food for when we travel and I always kept them in there in case I needed to wipe my hands (like if I had an orange or mustard spilled or something like that) so I just took that and will put it in the car. Admitted, sometimes they dried out. So I just put a little water back in the package. I figure it can’t hurt. I never thought of bringing something to poke the keypad with. Maybe you can use a stylus and then wipe that down.

Katla – thanks for the memory. I had forgotten seeing people light one cigarette from another.

I really wish all this would cause Vince to eat different foods, but I doubt it. Like the other day the store was out of the carrots he likes. I wish he’d use different brands of things and a more varied diet. But I honestly don’t see that happening. Hopefully, this will have an impact on the next generation so they are more flexible.

I, too, am grateful for my always having an extra of most things. Vince would tell me that I don’t need 8 of something that was one sale, now he’s glad that I would stock up on some things. Like we have about 3 more bags of potato chips. And about 8 more jars of spaghetti sauce.

I’m afraid this will cause people to be not as close to others. No more handshaking, hugging, etc.

Before I forget to post…

Have a great day everyone

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Jess wants Olive Garden for her birthday.
    Michele NC

Are your restaurants still open?

Australia's all closed at noon today. Take-away only now ... no sit-in.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    SuziQ113 wrote: »

are you kidding me? i have been for the last 10years or so...lolol. i'm in bike gear and am sweaty or wet depending on the weather.

I know what that's like ... I commuted by bicycle for about 6 years when I lived in Manitoba.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    M – restaurants are open just for take out or curb pickup. No sit-in. It’s been that way for quite a while. Why she didn't just make the spaghetti at home is beyond me. Spaghetti is spaghetti, OG doesn't do anything special. She likes the spaghetti sauce we have, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know.

Making these double chocolate cookies for Vince and Jess right now. I’ll just put them in the freezer. I was going to make a lemon cake or something like that, but Jess said she only likes chocolate. I know Vince will eat it, so that’s what I’m making. Remember the pudding I made in the IP? Well, Jess won’t eat it because it doesn’t have the right consistency and although Vince is eating it, I know he’d prefer not to. So I put some of that pudding in the cookies. Hey, chocolate is chocolate!

Also washing this wall hanging quilt that I made a while ago. I don’t think it’s been washed since we moved into this house! See…I told you we’d have the cleanest house in all of Newton!...lol

Lisa – you sound like me, I have one extra of most things and like you, just not fresh veges, etc. Aldi had eggs on sale for 59 cents a while ago so I stocked up. Still have 2 more dozen left. I have about 2 cartons of almond milk, but then again, I’m the only one who drinks it. I had enough growing up, but I was also raised by my grandparents who didn’t have enough. I tried one time not buying something until I was totally out, and did I ever feel uncomfortable. I’m just looking to backup my backups, too. Vince needs to go to WM today to get a prescription, so I’ll do a little shopping for things I can only get there like his bread. And if they don’t have it – I still have ½ a loaf in the freezer.

M – I have a question for you. I’ve never done my classes online, they didn’t have that back when I was in college. Do you need to login at a certain time to take the class or can you take it when it works into your schedule?

Now I'm glad I asked Vince to drink some of the beer in the downstairs refrigerator so now I have room for more fruits and fresh veges.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Michele one of the things I like about online classes is you do it own your schedule unless they designate a specific time so that they can repond to questions and answers in real time.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Heather - thinking of this virus like glitter is a great analogy. ;)

On changing clothes - a couple weeks ago, the Grocery Outlet checker told me how she showers and changes clothes every time she gets home from work before she allows her down's syndrome son, who has a heart condition, to hug her. So when I got home, I took off my jacket and jeans and hung them both out on the deck rail in the sun to blow the "glitter" off (they then got tossed into the laundry basket at the end of the day), washed my hands and put on fresh clothes. I've been doing that ever since. So glad she mentioned it, I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

On buying fresh produce at the store - I have started wearing my latex gloves all the time and grab a couple sanitizing wipes when I enter the store. I am able to wipe the bagged items such as packaged salads, and most things down quickly as I put them into my cart. Fruits/veg not immediately perishable like bananas go on the shelf in our garage for a few days anyhow. I did buy some Roma tomatoes - and washed them under cool running water with a little dish soap. We can't live in a bubble, but every little bit of potential "glitter" I can wash off helps I reckon.

B) Yesterday I started the great #1 TP v. Washcloth experiment. :D A couple weeks ago I bought a pack of the "mega-roll" TP. I noted the date I put it on the bathroom roller, and it lasted 11 days. After our #1 Washcloth discussion and instituting that protocol, I put installed a new roll yesterday we'll see how much mileage I get doing this. Maybe a month? B)

Lisa - I channel my Depression - Era parents and grandparents more and more these days. So grateful DH and I grew up poor in farm country.

I agree with Margaret -- so grateful for all of the practical tips we are sharing here. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @SophieRosieMom snacking is surely a risk of being confined for many. i am totally in the mindset of your retired nurse friend. i had much contact with big groups in the weeks previous to the virus and confinement. (many huge meetings of 50-100+ people, and protests). i think there is every chance that i could have gotten the germs, but have no big symptoms (occasional cough but it could be related to hay fever and food sensitivities, no fever), and could be a carrier. i have had no

@bwcetc thanks for the shout out. <3 i agree with your thoughts on how it is likely to change things. that is kind of freaky about the shopping experience. your position on working less or quitting is reasonable especially in regards to your son.

@exermom nice about the less junkmail. true, better here than in italy for now. my folks were born in the late 20s and were much more frugal by nature. my mom lived on an extremely low income in her 60s, not buying clothes, etc, but when her car broke down and bit the dust i was stunned to see she had been saving 200 dollars a year for 5 years to be able to buy a new car in cash when it was necessary. she had just enough to buy cash. my dad was a saver and counter too. comes from growing up in the depression. i think it'll have an effect long term on many. someone said the boston philosophy is "use it till it's good and worn and then do without". There is, or was some truth to that, relatively speaking. great on the DVDs! i was sort of roped into doing jane fonda workout in mid eighties though it wasn't my thing and i have done zero exercise videos since then. LOL

i have read washable TP is not ecological since the washing uses more up than the paper. options: newspaper, receipts, cloth.

@margaretturk you can probably get prescriptions refilled without extra prescription. that's the system here now. interesting about using stretch pants for elastics (if i understand)

@Machka9 yeesh 6 months. i have hears such things but not all the time. already we moved swiftly from 2 weeks to 5-8 weeks. it sounds like they are MUCH more honest there than they are here. Here they are saying no general testing until AFTER or WHEN WE ARE LEAVING confinement. i think it is seriously mismanaged in France. i'm posting (a bit on Facebook on president and mayor's pages) for more testing and making masks (there is money and resources: high level labs, factories and major benefactors- i'd be happy to pitch in 100 or 100s if needed as im sure many many would) and not increasing confinement measures further. they are talking about country wide unemployment benefits, but still can't manage to make masks nor make nor buy tests. it doesn't add up. A Year!? oh my god! that is too much. living alone it's too much to be alone for a year. i don't think it's psychologically healthy even if we can skype. WTF this international mindfulness retreat!

@GodMomKim your observations sound on target.

@Anniesquats100 skipping human contact seems sad. the hook up culture must really have taken a hit.

@LuciBThinner thanks for the shout out! <3

@auntiebk thanks for the shout out <3 i don't know if we can change centuries of culture and i'm not sure that this virus will be the thing to make people more friendly. on the contrary, they are getting more suspicious and afraid i think.

@SuziQ113 day 7 here too. hmmm starting the vehicle. good idea. wow about changing upon getting home. that is so intense. what about after going for a walk? wash all clothes after walking ? of course not shoes... right? it would be hard to scrub sneakers down..what about coats?

in FRANCE the mayor of paris said on saturday that it could be good to keep markets open because one is less likely to catch bugs outside than in a shop (big or small). i wonder if that will be revisited.

@LisaInAR thanks for the shout out <3

i'm not happy about being alone for --maybe a year.
    i have been eating more healthily for the most part though i do allow myself to have a glass of wine or beer on some evenings, and that tends to make me a bit tired. it's sort of a compromise.

i had guinea fowl and steamed veggies for lunch w 1tsp olive oil and 2 dried apricots and plain soy yogurt w maybe 1tsp of maple syrup and unsweetened non-fat cocoa powder.

i have to get into prepping my distance classes for all day tuesday.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Beth - I really feel for you. Is your disabled son in his own area? That could be "hermetically sealed", like one of those bubbles for bone marrow transplants. That sticky glitter gets everywhere. :'( Plus, the thought of feeding two teenagers! Anyone with big families like Flea. <3

I went round the corner to the local shop. He is allowing one person at a time in. There was fresh fennel, guess nobody much likes it. :D I bought a bit of stuff but insisted, even though he was using hand gel, on only handling the stuff myself and telling him the price. I did have to put a paper bag of tomatoes on the scales. :# Not touching that for a while. I kept rubbing my purse and chopping basket handle with cleanser.
    Feel set for a few days now. If I had to we could get by for a couple of weeks, but it would be a stretch. I washed hands, unpacked, washed hands, put away, washed hands and wiped the cottage cheese I was about to eat with alcohol rub. I wiped the alcohol bottle afterwards and the lid. Then the doorknobs. I could still see glitter everywhere, but I hope that's enough. I guess it only takes one of the b....... I wish we had a light like a torch that could pick it up. I bet it's everywhere! As a nailbiter and skin chewer I really don't hold out much hope for me.

Sea bass, asparagus, new potatoes and tzatziki for dinner tonight. Stewed apples and summer fruits with homemade yogurt for dessert. AF day for me.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,386 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Good morning! ... It's Monday and a reset day for me!

Rant ...
    I am considering quitting my job today and with the added strain on our budget and finances this is not a decision I'm making lightly. I work as a housekeeper for our church. I made, what I thought, was one last trek into the facility on Saturday afternoon to clean. I followed all the CDC cleaning protocols, I wore a mask, covered from head to toe, stripped in the garage, etc. I received an email yesterday afternoon from the pastor outlining the cleaning schedule he wants me to undertake. Because he is allowing "just a few" boys to gather in the gym during this "pause," he wants that area cleaned weekly. We have a counselor on site and she wants her area and waiting room cleaned twice weekly and while I left spray disinfectant and cleaning wipes for her last week ... she doesn't want to clean because of the germs. And then they're keeping the office open and encouraging people to drop in with concerns, offerings, volunteer gathering point?? This defeats everything we know about how to stop spread. I consider two of the three requests non-essential. My husband sits on the board of the church and is not happy with the pastor's decisions either. We listened to his online sermon yesterday and he seriously does. not. get. this! My concerns center on bringing home the virus to my disabled son and, possibly, my mother should I need to go out to her. Sigh. I'm leaning towards explaining that I will not clean either the office or the areas being used by the boy's program, but only the counselor and only once a week.... 48 hours after her last client... and frankly I'm not sure about that either. If that's not acceptable, then I will submit my resignation.

Question ... Homemade face masks. Are they at all effective? I see directions for paper-towel masks.

<3 Beth near Buffalo

Beth - for whenever you are back online... looks to me like you hold all the cards. I doubt they have people lining up to do that job. I'd be tempted to let them know exactly what I'll do and when, and anything beyond that they'll have to find someone else or do it themselves. Oh and by the way, you want a raise! Letting anyone on the premises except on rare occasions is not wise and Heather's "sticky glitter" theory needs to be broadcast.

Facemasks - locally, there are classes in it. I even saw on FB one of the local MD's modeling masks he was making with his daughter. I need to read up on it. Seems like they would be good for stopping someone's sneeze from spraying, but not sure about their use in generally filtering viruses still in the air.

I always get a little nervous that things like this will make people feel bolder and protected (when maybe they really aren't) so they start up with the unsafe behavior again.

Lanette
    Chilly and rainy SW WA State.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @bananasandoranges
    Not if you are just outside. They are suggesting all clothes to be washed if you are in a store, doctor's office, etc.. Including coats.

For shoes there is no mention, but I would think OK. I may just wear sneakers when I have to visit those places and spray down with Lysol when I get in the house. I am in the habit of removing my shoes at the front door so it would just be an extra step for me.

I live alone too and am not looking forward to the prospect of a year of this. I am praying the rest of the Americans wake up and stay home unless they need to for work, needs, supporting family, etc.. It's the only way to slow this thing down.

In an effort to keep positive I am taking one day at a time. I do not want to look too far ahead at something that may or may not happen and really is totally out of my control.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: Regarding restaurants: In our town you can call in and order take out but can’t go into a restaurant. They bring your order to your car. Stores are open and we can buy groceries. We’ve been eating at home. Nobody has toilet paper in stock. :flowerforyou:

Beth: In your situation I would resign or request emergency leave. Your boss is not thinking with your safety at heart. :noway:

We are lucky. We have plenty of food on hand and our stores are open for business. Schools are closed, but lunches are being provided for kids to pick up at the school door. TP is unavailable in local stores. I’ve heard from my kids and they are safe at their homes.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon