What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    I absolutely hate ketchup 🤮

I have no real problem with ketchup; I'm not fond of mayonnaise. However! I did try mayonnaise when breading a chicken cutlet, and found it worked nicely and that I didn't taste the mayonnaise once it was all cooked up.

I think I scribbled earlier that, until my teens, I never had pasta with tomato sauce. My mother cooked it with ketchup. My old-time Italian friend sighed and nodded when I mentioned it once. "Yep. Jewish spaghetti," he said.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I absolutely hate ketchup 🤮

I love ketchup, but am particular on the brand. Can't do Hunt's... but love Heinz reduced sugar!
  • pancakerunner
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    butter on steak is pointless imo

Glad I am not the only one. I think this is one of those "chefy" things where butter makes everything better, and therefore, loads of butter on everything. No one really eats like this every day.

Right?? I also don't get butter on crab legs or lobster! Or butter garlic shrimp??? Takes away from it. Butter on the baked potato that comes with the steak though... that's a given

Well you lost me here lol
    Bland things like shrimp need a bit of help. Mopping that buterry sauce with a nice crusty bread ohhhh yes

I actually like the bland flavor haha... but if I am going to dress up seafood or shellfish I like it in a ceviche.
  • pancakerunner
    alexmose wrote: »
    Maple syrup on pancakes is a waste of calories.

But walden's pancake syrup? sign me up.

The only Walden Farms product I will willingly purchase haha
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Going to come out against ketchup (well, for me, others can have it if they like it), and in favor of garlic and butter in general (including on shrimp). My favorite way to eat shrimp, though, is as part of a stirfry or pasta sauce, so I often have it without butter, but nothing wrong with butter on it.

Also good with butter -- skate cooked in brown butter. But I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Going to come out against ketchup (well, for me, others can have it if they like it), and in favor of garlic and butter in general (including on shrimp). My favorite way to eat shrimp, though, is as part of a stirfry or pasta sauce, so I often have it without butter, but nothing wrong with butter on it.

Also good with butter -- skate cooked in brown butter. But I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.

Ketchup on grilled cheese and scrambled eggs... necessary.
  • pancakerunner
    n7ljlda9tc5y.jpg
  • lemurcat2

Nope. Absolutely not. (I find the egg thing especially weird, but I know it's common. My mom did it.)
  • pancakerunner

Nope. Absolutely not. (I find the egg thing especially weird, but I know it's common. My mom did it.)

I'm weird... I don't like ketchup on french fries (prefer ranch dressing) but like it on hashbrowns and breakfast potatoes.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member

I'm weird... I don't like ketchup on french fries (prefer ranch dressing) but like it on hashbrowns and breakfast potatoes.

Pepper on fries works very nicely.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Mac and Cheese is absolutely gross unless you add either ketchup, tuna, or peas.
    The ketchup on its own. The tuna and peas are good together, though.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

Ketchup no, salsa yes.
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Mac and Cheese is absolutely gross unless you add either ketchup, tuna, or peas.

Mac and cheese is fine, not something I really care about, but the idea of adding either ketchup or tuna to it horrifies me (granted, I don't like ketchup, as mentioned above, and canned tuna is one of the foods I find most repulsive (tuna steak or sushi is great, but not with mac & cheese). Peas don't sound appealing with mac & cheese either, but not as terrible.

Broccoli, on the other hand, is good with mac and cheese, and so is pulled pork, but there are other things more worth the cals good with broccoli and pulled pork.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

Mac and cheese is fine, not something I really care about, but the idea of adding either ketchup or tuna to it horrifies me (granted, I don't like ketchup, as mentioned above, and canned tuna is one of the foods I find most repulsive (tuna steak or sushi is great, but not with mac & cheese). Peas don't sound appealing with mac & cheese either, but not as terrible.

Broccoli, on the other hand, is good with mac and cheese, and so is pulled pork, but there are other things more worth the cals good with broccoli and pulled pork.

👍

• pancakerunner
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Ketchup no, salsa yes.

Salsa... on french fries?? nope
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

Ketchup no, salsa yes.

French fries, baked potatoes, salads, eggs, steak.... there are very few things that I wouldn't eat salsa on - ice cream comes to mind as one of those things.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I really love homemade tartar sauce on french fries.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto! I like the batter and frosting but not a fan of cake at all!
  • pancakerunner
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto! I like the batter and frosting but not a fan of cake at all!

I'm the same with donuts... LOVE custard filled or cream filled! And feel this way about cupcakes
  • pancakerunner

Ketchup no, salsa yes.

French fries, baked potatoes, salads, eggs, steak.... there are very few things that I wouldn't eat salsa on - ice cream comes to mind as one of those things.

I guess I'm just not a salsa fan... The idea of salsa on potatoes is a little strange for me