Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the encouragement. I know some of you are struggling also. Praying for us all.

Today I plan to log all of my meals BEFORE I eat them. I also plan to go for a short walk this afternoon - temperatures here in OH will be 60 today, and sunny. Snow coming again this weekend, so will take advantage of the nice day today.

1/24 - 250.2
    2/17 - 253/2
    2/21 - 250.4
    3/9 - 250.0
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member
    @sweetypie1 I like the logging BEFORE eating idea you mention. I’ve been doing something similar where in the morning I’ll log in a few things I know I’m going to eat later, like snacks for the ride home after work, or alcoholic drinks I’m planning for the upcoming evening. I can’t seem to plan meals as much, but at least this way throughout the day I know how many calories I have “available” as snacking options pop-up, or the office folks make spontaneous lunch plans and order food. Some days I’ve got enough calorie reserve to have a cookie when the sales reps drop by and some days I don’t if I know my wife is making spaghetti that night or I’m planning a couple drinks. Can’t always stick to the plan but it sure seems to help.
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member

I like the weight posting lists everyone does, but this visual is what really get’s me motivated... thanks MFP App!

zzl2a9x7xcro.png

• MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Saturday Check-in

Short version: Family member in Mayo is starting to come around well enough to be put in a regular room instead of CICU now. I'm hardcore struggling with intake. Thinking of trying a different eating program while I'm trying for deficits to see if I can improve adherence. Weight is up, and I truthfully can't blame all of it on hormones now. Pandemic Panic shouldn't set me back, but med situation is already doing so.

Good news? Primary lifts are all back in service, will be trying to increase every couple of weeks pending good form. Going to take it slow, even though it will likely result in slower ability progression/gains, because I want to be very certain of good form. It did feel good to get all of the Big 5 going again.

Commitment adherence: all commitments met
    Macro adherence: need to work on protein a bit
    Goals: Met 1 and 2, only practiced one time so 3 was missed, and 4 was purposefully set aside until the coming Wednesday.

Longer version
    Even though I did not super-restrict, I started binging again. I have been struggling terribly to get things back under some semblance of control. I don't know what's going on -- if it's psychological, physiological... Probably realistically a combination of both.

I tried to switch to an intentional maintenance level to see if that could help, but it hasn't. For the sake of getting what I can out of this, I'm going to stay at (or if I must, above) maintenance for a few more days to get resets of what hormones I can (refeed/diet break physiology), then I'm going to try a different deficit regimen to see if that can help me get back on track. In theory it should also help with muscle building/retention, so we'll see. I won't bother with much in regards to details there unless I have good success to report after at least 4 weeks.

I am so disappointed in what's been going on. I realize that it's at least partially outside of my control, as I literally have been losing control, so am trying to recognize that for what it is and not beat myself down (at least not more than I do regularly). It's still so hard to see where I could have been, but now will not be. Trying to do what I can to let that go, but it's easier said than done.

Thankfully, other than rowing and strength training goals, the Pandemic Panic will not affect things for me. The weather is (most days) tolerable enough that I can exercise outside of the gym. I still prefer the treadmill on days where I'm working on increasing my speed though. So between that and the needs, I will be needing the gym. Fortunately, the gym I'm with has several locations of varying sizes, so when the big ones were shut down temporarily to comply with government requests to limit large meeting areas, I still have the option of several small satellite locations. I'm still a bit grumpy over the loss of my preferred location, but will make do.

Regarding the family situation at home (lack of support), I'm getting by. I did manage to avoid a "nuclear blowup" at my husband, which I am counting as the major victory it truly is. I wouldn't say things are OK by any stretch, but I am again making do. It will be a bit more trying over the next week or two as the kiddo is off school (forced closure for all schools for a minimum of one week per gov't), large stuff is closed, including church, and such, but hopefully will make it through without major incident.

I don't think this new med is going to work out that the psych had me try. I'll be communicating with her to let her know the issues I've had with it/changes in daily function since starting, and will see what she says. I'm sure my struggles (intake/mental/physical) since starting the trial are not all attributable to the medication only, but at the same time, there is a marked change in my ability to fight urges and I'm feeling a lot more drained and melancholy (which is saying something, as I'm generally a very melancholy person, especially within the confines of my head). Not sure where things will go from here, but something needs to give, especially if I'm going to keep trying to "tick the boxes" that I have been doing to work toward better health.

I honestly just feel like curling into a ball, snuggling with my puppy, and saying screw the world. I might do that a bit today and tomorrow, but will try to at least get a mile or two of walking in both days.

My targets/commitments/goals:
    Current macro targets:

Minimums:
    Protein: 143 grams
    Carbs: 25 grams
    Fat: 45 grams

Fat to include 10 grams EFAs all days

Commitments:

1) Intake: >1,075 kcal/day
    2) Exercise: >=30 minutes, 6 days/week
    3) Single-day deficit limit: 2,500 kcal
    4) Rest day(s): >=1/week (<1,100 kcal deficit)

Goals:

1) Strength training: 2+ days/week
    2) Indoor rowing (**with good form**): 1,000 meters >=3 days/week
    3) Musical instrument practice: >=10 min, 3 days/week
    4) Caloric deficit (50+ kcal under): >=6 days/week

My Stats:

5'1" Female
    Restarting weight: 252
    MFP restart weight: 242.7
    Original goal: 140 lbs
    Current goal: 21.5% body fat (currently estimated at 140 lbs). Aiming to be at this point by 2020/12/05.

2020 Progress
    2020/01/04: 194.7
    2020/01/11: 192.0
    2020/01/18: 189.4
    2020/01/25: 185.4
    2020/02/01: 184.1
    2020/02/08: 184.3
    2020/02/15: 181.9
    2020/02/22: 182.1
    2020/02/29: 184.7
    2020/03/07: 182.1
    2020/03/14: 183.9

2019 Progress
    2019/09/14: 240.7
    2019/09/21: 238.8
    2019/09/28: 234.6
    2019/10/05: 230.8
    2019/10/12: 231.0
    2019/10/19: 226.9
    2019/10/26: 223.8
    2019/11/01: 219.6
    2019/11/09: 215.6
    2019/11/16: 212.7
    2019/11/23: 209.2
    2019/11/30: 203.9
    2019/12/07: 201.3
    2019/12/17: 199.7
    2019/12/21: 196.7
    2019/12/28: 197.3 (Planned maintenance break)

Strength training progress

Squats:
    70 lb 5x5 (2020/02/27)

Overhead Press:
    50 lb 5x5 (2020/02/27)

Deadlift:
    65 lb 4x5 (2020/03/09)

Bench Press:
    45 lb 5x5 (2020/03/09)

Barbell Rows:
    65 lb 5x5 (2020/03/09)

Hope things are going well for others. @mnwalkingqueen is right that it's not just about getting the scale to move in the desired direction. I am trying really hard to remember that. @sweeetypie1 hope the pre-logging has been helpful for you. I know it has helped me mitigate some of the damage I've been doing over this last few weeks. Of course, sometimes finding accurate information to enter can be a bit of a struggle too.

I'm thankful that spring is starting to come around more days than not. I've gotten the dog out for several walks this month now, and have taken some of my walking outdoors.
  • sweeetypie1
    edited March 2020
    I really need to stop stress eating - though I don't feel like I'm overeating, the scale keeps going up. It's all this stress - and not just the virus stuff - I'm not panicking - but having everyone home is just adding to my stress level. I hear my son complaining all day long how awful this is that he can't go and work out at the gym - which I understand when you are use to working out every day and you miss it - but we're all making sacrifices here. And work is just plan stressful this time of year for me, it always is but stress on stress on stress - ugh. I started exercising more to compensate and drinking more water.

Glad to hear everyone is doing ok and if you are not, I pray you will be soon.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Hope everyone is staying safe. I’m going a little stir crazy. I usually am emotional eater but I learned this week when bored I am eating more. It is one thing to stay home by choice vs no choice.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday Check-in

A day late. Good news: I haven't topped 190.

Commitment adherence: Did not meet the exercise commitment.
    Macro adherence: Really should start working on kcals and protein.
    Goals: None met.

Longer version
    I trained once this week. It was a good session, but then headed out to the out-of-state hospital my stepfather is at to support him and my mother. Could've gotten good walking in if I'd had a better attitude. Intended to exercise at the hotel I stayed at, but the (quite small, low capacity and easy to clean) room was closed due to governor's orders. After that I took a "whatever, I don't care" attitude, because honestly I've just had enough of this, that, and the other thing. Out of spoons, so to speak.

I need to start logging reliably tomorrow, regardless of the intake decisions I've made. After the last 2 days which included about 14-15 hours of travel, I've been off track for logging at all. This snack, that snack, etc. over the trip and I just do not remember what all I've eaten.

Really not dealing with things well mentally/emotionally. Topping off the whole bit is that the hospital decided to ban all visitors unless it's extraordinary circumstances, which essentially means new life or end of life. Even though my stepfather has bounced back to the ICU for a FOURTH time, with various indicators looking not very good at all (mind you he's had multiple issues and three surgeries over the last 5 weeks, and has gone code blue at least 3 times that I know of), no visitors. My mom was kicked out, even though she'd been there for about 30 days, and had been at the local hospital with him before that.

It's really the icing on the cake at this point. I'm not sure what to say other than I'm "safe" (as in don't require hospitalization to physically save me from myself). Oh yeah, and we're dealing with ANOTHER med trial/change for me (mental health medication). Just ready to curl up with my puppies, sleep a lot, maybe play some video games or watch a few shows. More just the first two, not sure I care enough for either of the latter at this point.

Current macro targets:

Minimums:

Commitments:

3) Rest day(s): >=1/week (<1,100 kcal deficit)
    4) Be accountable: logging intake and checking in on accountability threads.

Goals:

2) Indoor rowing (**with good form**): 1,000 meters >=3 days/week

My Stats:

5'1" Female
    Current goal: 21.5% body fat (currently estimated at 140 lbs). Aiming to be at this point by 2020/12/05.

2020 Progress
    2020/03/22: 189.8

2019 Progress

Squats:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Overhead Press:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Deadlift:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Bench Press:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Barbell Rows:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

@sweeetypie1 : I hear you on the stress. Hope that focusing on increased burn and water intake bring you where you want to be.

@mnwalkingqueen : Definitely relate on being stir crazy, especially where it's not by choice. Safe in the most basic sense of the word here. Hope things improve for you.
  • sweeetypie1
    ok. I think the family is over the hype, trying to get back to as close to normal as we can while adjusting to staying at home. baking less, eating less and walking more because it's the only thing we're allowed to do. Weather is warming up (OH) so that helps. Hope everyone is doing ok.
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    My journey so far to lose up to 120

a277a876hihh.jpg
  • mebenfie
    mebenfie Posts: 7 Member
    These past two weeks have been awful. I have felt lost not being able to go to the gym. Made poor choices at the grocery stores and fell off the wagon with my eating. Today, I stuck with a healthy breakfast, got 30oz of water in my system and tracked my food. Everyday, every meal, every workout feels like a struggle. Is anyone else feeling this way?
  • sweeetypie1
    mebenfie wrote: »
    These past two weeks have been awful. I have felt lost not being able to go to the gym. Made poor choices at the grocery stores and fell off the wagon with my eating. Today, I stuck with a healthy breakfast, got 30oz of water in my system and tracked my food. Everyday, every meal, every workout feels like a struggle. Is anyone else feeling this way?

Yes. I am feeling the same. My family are all losing weight and I gain! Why is that? Ugh
  • mebenfie
    mebenfie Posts: 7 Member
    I don’t know if it’s a chemical imbalance or what. I just want to eat all of the time. I went up 2lbs in the past month, which I know isn’t much but I gotta get it under control before it really escalates.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday Check-in

A day late.

Good news: I haven't topped 200, and now that I am at home again, perhaps I'll be able to start again. Also, I will be hitting 90 days in hitting my step goal on my watch today.

Commitment adherence: Poor overall, as things got to the point where the "I don't care" took over. The rabbit hole is real, and the war within remains.
    Macro adherence: Nope.
    Goals: None met.

Longer version
    It's been very hard. So many miles driven, so much anxiety, increased emotions/rollercoaster, increased sleep issues. However, I am home now, and won't be going back out of state for any stays in the foreseeable future, as my stepfather has passed away.

I'll be honest: I can't attribute it all to emotions over my stepfather passing away. I know for a fact that sleep issues are a major contributor, and not being in a regular fitness routine has also brought adherence issues, but I will own that I consciously chose to sabotage on multiple occasions. I have a feeling that I'm probably within 5 pounds of where I "truly am" for weight, which means I've pretty well erased this year's progress. I'm not sure if/how medication changes are contributing at this point, but it is what it is regardless.

Truly, it's amazing I didn't gain more, based on the sheer volume of calories I was taking in. In a way, it's all the more disappointing for it, as it indicates to me that I really had made more progress than the scale indicated, but have thrown that progress away.

If there is one positive to be had from the COVID-19 Pandemic Panic though, it's that my family was able to spend time together. Also, my daughter being out of school for what will likely be the rest of the school year has altered my approach to fitness as of last week. There are both pros and cons to this, but in general it is positive as working with her will at least provide consistency in a baseline.

Being real with myself in my head hasn't helped me much either. Back in September when I started making changes to be healthier, I had an inspiration that helped me wage the war in my head. Thinking on it more and more as time goes, I realize it is unrealistic and I'm setting myself up for what will very likely be a catastrophic freefall in the future. It is heart-breaking in the worst way to try and set this aside. I feel like there's little to be fought for without it. I'm trying to remember that I need to keep fighting, if nothing else, for the sake of my daughter, but as she continues to mature and become more self-sufficient, it seems more like a hollow argument. For now, I will refrain from action for her sake, and will at least try to distract myself as possible and return to a baseline of "checking boxes."

I've been vacillating lately between "why am I eating/drinking anything" and "eat all the things" (which has been where I've been at most of the time). Now that I've arrived back at home and have to restock groceries, I will probably try to go back to a regimen based on fundamentals and attempting to harness the "why" road in a reasonably productive way. I will at least be returning to the pattern of leaving my purchasing methods at home when I'm going out of the house unless they're absolutely necessary. I'll probably start to walk to the grocery stores as well (which are a few miles away).

It's so funny how professionals and people in general talk about how people can feel better if they focus on changing in positive ways and do those things. I've been trying, for the most part, for more than 6 months now, and though I am physically healthier for it, I don't feel better. I've tried the "fake it until you make it" outlook, pretending to be fine and forcing myself to interact with the real world, but it is getting really hard to put energy into faking it even at the most basic levels. But as things stand, I'm resigned to continue breathing each day I wake up. And to at least continue to make my step goal even if it means walking in place.

Current macro targets:

Minimums:

Commitments:

Goals:

2) Indoor rowing (**with good form**): 1,000 meters >=3 days/week (on hold while gym has altered availability)

My Stats:

5'1" Female

2020 Progress
    2020/04/05: 196.4

2019 Progress

Squats:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Overhead Press:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Deadlift:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Bench Press:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Barbell Rows:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Well this struggle is real. I have been eating out more cause I’m tired of being in crowded stores with some sick people. The good thing is in MN we can still exercise outside so I walk my dog 1.5 hours mon-fri and 2 hours on weekends but walking him doesn’t burn as much calories as using the treadmill. Everyone stay safe and heathy.
  • yasminwin
    yasminwin Posts: 2 Member
    I need help. I'm 252lbs 5ft4 and it feels like I've been dieting my whole life. I've never been a healthy adult weight but I'm at my heaviest. I can't stay in track and can only manage a week or so and I'm off again. I feel so unhealthy. So sad and so tired. I can't stop eating.I don't know what to do anymore. I'm 32
  • sweeetypie1
    edited April 2020
    yasminwin wrote: »
    I need help. I'm 252lbs 5ft4 and it feels like I've been dieting my whole life. I've never been a healthy adult weight but I'm at my heaviest. I can't stay in track and can only manage a week or so and I'm off again. I feel so unhealthy. So sad and so tired. I can't stop eating.I don't know what to do anymore. I'm 32

Hi Yasminwin - you can do this. One step at a time. Log all your food, try and get some exercise and come here for support. The communities are great and so many to choose and read and be encouraged.

And be encouraging to others.

Diane
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    I'm Backkkkkkkkkkk... I've been off the wagon for some time, I can't even put into words. It's been hard for me, I've been very depressed. Diagnosed with a cancerous rectal tumor in July 2019, removed January 2020 w/a permanent colostomy bag, but CANCER FREE. Now working to find myself and gain body confidence. I've been walking at least a mile a day is my goal. Sometimes I get more. Pooping out of your stomach will really knock you down, but one day at a time!! Using detox tea and liquid vitamin has me down 13lbs in a month, so I'm guessing that's a START!

Starting Weight - 242.8
    Current Weight - 229.8

I would love to weigh around 120lbs to 150lbs.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday Check-in

Good news: Still under 200. I have been floating around a shorter range of weight (up/down trends), so I think I finally found maintenance. Maybe.

Commitment adherence: I need to work on exercise in the coming week. Also need to work on check-ins/accountability on both the challenge thread (52 lb in 52 weeks) and this one, as I missed both check-ins (could have done them).
    Macro adherence: Hit and miss at a lower protein target (which is more in line with maintenance).
    Goals: None met, but that's OK for now.

Longer version
    I've resigned myself to allow more flexibility during "these trying times." Trying indeed. At least I think I've got myself to a point where I've been able to stay under an MFP calculated overage of 1,500 (less than 1,000 over on most days).

Somehow I think I've managed to get more NEAT in or something, because it doesn't seem like my weight/fat is really going up. I'm due for a water jump next week, so I'm mentally preparing for that, as I don't know what that will look like in a maintenance cycle. Also, I think I've been generally maintaining since my return, as the weight drop between then and now seems to be more indicative of losing "road weight" (extra stress on body/water retention). Which is crazy, considering the numbers that I've seemed to be running (and I've tightened up my logging since returning, so I know things are pretty darn close). Guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I allowed protein to take a back seat, as I've been in effective maintenance. I let it slide too much a few times though, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to get at least triple digits this coming week, regardless of how the other macros fall.

My city is preparing for lockdown. I'm not fond of this, but I guess it is what it is. I have come to terms with the fact that strength training will need to take a back seat, at least for now, and though I'm walking less, now that the weather is good, I aim to exceed my exercise minutes each day by doing both a dog walk and a solo or team with daughter walk. This should also help with feeling like I have some space to myself, as we're all stuck at home a lot (other than the three adults who work out of the home (not me, as I work electronically)).

It's been hard in the mental/emotional adjustment category, and I'm still not sleeping well at all. The Dr. ordered a few med changes again, and perhaps that will help things iron out. I remain skeptical, but will give it a try. If nothing else, perhaps it will help me get to a point where I feel like I can handle going back into a regular deficit, because even just trying for 50-250 kcal below MFP calculated maintenance hasn't been doable on a sustained basis.

Hope things are going at least OK, if not well, for you all.

Current macro targets:

Minimums:

Commitments:

Goals:

1) [ON HOLD] Strength training: 2+ days/week
    2) [ON HOLD] Indoor rowing (**with good form**): 1,000 meters >=3 days/week
    4) Intake <= 3,000 kcal per day unless exercise brings it above.

My Stats:

5'1" Female

2020 Progress
    2020/04/05: 196.4
    2020/04/11: 195.6
    2020/04/18: 194.1

2019 Progress

***Lifting currently on hold due to COVID-19.***

Squats:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Overhead Press:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Deadlift:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Bench Press:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)

Barbell Rows:
    75 lb 5x5 (2020/03/16)
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Starting over again!!!! At all time high. Spent winter in fla and returned home and packed and moved in two week period. The lockdown occurred and I've been working from early morning to midnite trying to get unpacked and organized. Too tired to cook, can't always find what I need etc. bright side is I'm making progress love my new neighbors and neighborhood and I seem to be steadily getting my self control back. I am also making progress on self care. So I have swallowed my pride and come back to both give and receive much needed suppor

Katrena
    234 lbs