Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Some good, and not so good news.

Scary statistic, gun/ammo sales up 41% in the US in March.

The US will no longer ship medical devices/supplies for fighting Covid 19 to other countries, while the need here is so great (duh).

China sends 1,000,000 medical masks to US.

It only makes sense. I don’t know about other places, but police here are only responding to calls with injuries. Every day I get NextDoor alerts about cars being broken into, basement windows damaged, Ring photos, it’s crazy. What I’ve realized is that I’m completely alone for the duration of this mess. No one to hear me if I scream No one to back me up. No one to call for help if I can’t.

Damn straight I’m stocking self defense supplies every bit as mindfully as I am cleaning supplies and food.

Being home all day I've remarked to friends how often I see a cop car pass. I actually feel more protected than before.

Our first CPD officer death was reported yesterday, however.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The US will no longer ship medical devices/supplies for fighting Covid 19 to other countries, while the need here is so great (duh).

It only makes sense. I don’t know about other places, but police here are only responding to calls with injuries. Every day I get NextDoor alerts about cars being broken into, basement windows damaged, Ring photos, it’s crazy. What I’ve realized is that I’m completely alone for the duration of this mess. No one to hear me if I scream No one to back me up. No one to call for help if I can’t.

Damn straight I’m stocking self defense supplies every bit as mindfully as I am cleaning supplies and food.

Being home all day I've remarked to friends how often I see a cop car pass. I actually feel more protected than before.

Our first CPD officer death was reported yesterday, however.

It’s been just the opposite here. I live near a McDonald’s and as trite as it sounds, I used to see a lot of law enforcement traffic there—I mean, they DO have bathrooms and coffee there, lol. I see significantly fewer these days. Maybe they’re still cruising and I just don’t see them since the dining room at McDonald’s is closed, but I’m guessing not since graffiti and car window smashing is increasing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,057 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    [quote="AnnPT77;c-44879600"

I can't give you cites because my source was listening to NPR and BBC on radio, but I believe there's a new study out in just the last few days showing potentially-infecting particles from coughs/sneezes traveling much farther than previously thought (like twice as far), plus some fairly new information about the nature of virus shedding by people who are still asymptomatic.

You are referring to this, I believe https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852?appId=scweb
    and this https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/31/824155179/cdc-director-on-models-for-the-months-to-come-this-virus-is-going-to-be-with-us

[/quote]

Thank you. The JAMA paper sounds like it may be what I heard mentioned in passing, and while I don't think I heard the Redfield interview or a focused news item about it, that's consistent with what I did hear in the reports.

Normally, if I hear something on NPR/BBC/other audio source, I can find the story in a text or audio snip on their web sites, and would include it in a post. In this case, I hadn't zeroed in on the radio items for follow up when it occurred, had the radio on all day, had no idea what service/program mentioned it. Appreciate you being a better researcher! :flowerforyou:

Shifting gears:

Throughout all of this rapidly evolving public-policy response, I'm aware that we (including me) sometimes aren't able to acknowledge in our guts that scientists and public officials are human beings, who, like us, can be confused, communicate poorly, change their minds (and should, BTW), and generally make mistakes. Keeping that in mind is especially difficult in a context where some officials clearly are negligent, willfully ill-informed or self-dealing actors. (I won't go further than the generality, avoiding the politics prohibition here - and my intent is not partisan anyway, as IMO all large-scale groups include a segment of idiots and scoundrels.)

Of course, their mistakes are high-stakes and incredibly costly (in lives!) at a time like this. They've taken on the job (like doctors, or police, or others whose jobs routinely involve life and death matters), so we can hold them to high standards, but holding them to inhumanly high standards is just unrealistic. (Not saying we can't or shouldn't hold them accountable for even well-intended actions that turn out to have disastrous consequences. We can, and should. With some compassion, IMO. Any decent human who makes a deadly error, and realizes it, has a burden of conscience, as well, possibly life-long.)

Just my dumb opinions, as usual.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I have had 3 guns on consignment for 5 months. All 3 sold last week at my full asking price. I still have more if someone comes looking for my supply of hand sanitizer.

Was that year over year or Feb. vs March? If the latter some of that bump may just be the weather warming.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,736 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

The NextDoor alerts here have been about bike and package thefts. I'm glad we live in a condo complex and the delivery folks bring packages right to our door (an inside-the-building corridor) and then knock or ring the doorbell (we're always home these days). My husband keeps his bike in our unit, not in the garage.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Indiana has just called for all schools to be remote through the end of the school year. The State Board of Education said schools must complete 160 total instructional days or at least 20 more days of remote learning from April 2 until the end of the school year.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I see attitudes changing in AZ rapidly. Many thought it was a joke at first and media hype (and some still do, unfortunately), but that nursing home that has 20 plus cases changed minds. We also have some friends nearby that the wife has parents down South of the city in the oldest demographic 55 and over active community. They seem to be seeing the first cases there. That particular community, 3000 homes, has an average age of around 75. Some of these AZ communities will be just devastated if this picks up any more steam.

Our governor, in his infinite wisdom, has us allegedly on "lockdown" but nail salons and golf courses are open. Giving something to the old men and older women to keep votes. Just sickening. Nail salons. I kid you not. We will find out soon if the heat slows it here as next week it will hit 90 already here.

It probably will because people will prefer to stay indoors with the AC on, sort of a forced social distancing. Which is OK unless they invite family and friends.

I live in the California desert with temps similar to AZ and many snow birds are staying put instead of going out of state (Canadians are the exception). They are already dreading the high summer hit and the electrical bills.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Indiana has just called for all schools to be remote through the end of the school year. The State Board of Education said schools must complete 160 total instructional days or at least 20 more days of remote learning from April 2 until the end of the school year.

WV is supposed to be doing it by packets, but I'm not sure it's going well. Parents are complaining about having to educate their children. Such as this one woman my brother overheard complaining about it, saying "that's what I send them to school for". *sigh* Supposedly, graduation and prom has been postponed to July. Personally, I kind of hope they decide to start the school year early this year, so the kids can catch up - instead of mid August, restart in mid-July or even right after the 4th. I doubt it, though.

I had to run out because of a maintenance light on my truck (which the mechanics were not able figure out, so it was a waste of $100 :rage: ) and stopped at Walmart because I was running low on bread and cat food. I saw several people, including some cashiers, wearing masks, but social distancing was hit or miss. It was really hard to keep back from people who were taking up the middle of the aisle I needed :angry:
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    https://evonomics.com/how-bronze-age-rulers-simply-canceled-debts/

What’s needed worldwide to prevent an economic disaster or something similar so no one from the poorest to richest is effected by this new environment
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    https://evonomics.com/how-bronze-age-rulers-simply-canceled-debts/

What’s needed worldwide to prevent an economic disaster or something similar so no one from the poorest to richest is effected by this new environment

good luck with that. No way Uncle Sam is going to just cancel what we owe him, let alone the big banks. And even if Uncle Sam canceled our debts to him, then reimbursed the banks for canceling our debts to them, we'd still pay in the end in the form of higher taxes
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Had to venture out, just to Dollar General in search of something to use for ties on masks for my husband’s employees (hoping cheap clothesline will work - it would be puny to use as intended, but for ties hopefully it will work). Overheard a lady loudly (and grumpily) comment “... because it’s not airborne!” Oi... not sure the context, but you could tel she was annoyed for some reason or another. I had a headband/gaiter pulled over my nose and mouth, only saw a couple other people with masks.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

The NextDoor alerts here have been about bike and package thefts. I'm glad we live in a condo complex and the delivery folks bring packages right to our door (an inside-the-building corridor) and then knock or ring the doorbell (we're always home these days). My husband keeps his bike in our unit, not in the garage.

We have had fewer ND stuff about thefts (one about a catalytic converter theft but that was normal before), I'm surprised nothing about package thefts as that was an issue people were talking about at Christmas. I can pretty much hear when someone drops something on my porch whether they ring or not and they usually ring and leave anyway. In the past they could have probably come after the UPS guy/UPSP guy/FedEX guy did and go to all the houses on the block. I am lucky that even so no one has every taken anything here. I did have a stolen package at my old condo.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Meadows- Since this is effecting the whole world all the leaders need to get together discuss a world wide plan like this until this is over. Their predictions is this will be going on even in November.

Problem is instead of humanity the natural human greed will stop it from happening.The homeless rate after this will be huge

Australia Shutdown announced it will be for 6 more months 5minutes ago was posted https://youtu.be/Yy7Nz2jUQtI
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »

WV is supposed to be doing it by packets, but I'm not sure it's going well. Parents are complaining about having to educate their children. Such as this one woman my brother overheard complaining about it, saying "that's what I send them to school for". *sigh* Supposedly, graduation and prom has been postponed to July. Personally, I kind of hope they decide to start the school year early this year, so the kids can catch up - instead of mid August, restart in mid-July or even right after the 4th. I doubt it, though.
    While her phrasing was unfortunate, it not being the 60s, not all women are at leisure to spend all day with their children. Many have essential jobs, and some still have full time jobs working at home. Not to mention, not everyone is skilled at teaching, or up to date in all subjects being taught. Most teachers in my city are required to have master’s degrees, which presumably they got for a reason.

true. But we aren't talking about homeschooling here. We're talking about making sure the kids do the work packets. No different than making sure they do their homework. Doesn't require a college education to do that. and we are also talking about a situation where many parents are home themselves because of this. I think if you're desperate to keep your kids occupied, that making them do their homework should be one option.

And there are thousands of people who homeschool their children in this country, parents who don't have college degrees, and do just fine with it.

Besides which, WV is about 50 years behind the times in many parts of the state; you would be surprised at the number of stay at home mothers or mothers who only work part time jobs here. Not to mention the ones who don't work at all because they don't want to jeopardize those welfare checks......and the ones who make their side money selling drugs.....