Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    My 80 year old husband is getting cabin fever, already. So this morning he headed out on a TP hunt. Still no luck, but he brought back a lot of other stuff we don't need and that aren't in short supply. How many cans of Spam do we really need?

Even the spam was wiped out in my local grocery chain. :D
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My 80 year old husband is getting cabin fever, already. So this morning he headed out on a TP hunt. Still no luck, but he brought back a lot of other stuff we don't need and that aren't in short supply. How many cans of Spam do we really need?

Toilet paper can be found online. I got some on Amazon. Thrive Market and Home Depot also had it. Walmart has it too. Target I believe as well. You might have to buy a certain amount to get free delivery, but it can be found online. It might take a week or two.

I predict some Hawaiian spam recipes in your future!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Haha my dh would say you can never have enough cans of Spam. Lol Ugh!!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

This may be dumb, but it's somewhat related and it might be fun trivia. So I'm emetophobic (fear of vomiting)

OMG so many socially distant hugs from a fellow emetophobe.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Every time I get brave enough to venture out to a store, I always look for hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes, neither of which I've been able to find. :( I, thankfully, have bleach on hand and will make my own cleaning rags to keep things as clean as I can. But sure would like to find some hand sanitizer, especially for my ds and her dh. :( Has anyone made their own using rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel? I've got the rubbing acohol but I assume I could order aloe vera gel thru Amazon.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    ( Has anyone made their own using rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel? I've got the rubbing acohol but I assume I could order aloe vera gel thru Amazon.

I have! You just have to make sure you get your ratios down pat. If Amazon is sold out, try ordering the Lily of the Desert brand from The Vitamin Shoppe. Just make sure it's not the dietary supplement kind you drink. It's not the same. You'll need the gel. It's hard to find in stores right now, because it's typically put out when stores put out summer items like sunscreen.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Dh said all "non-essentials" to be shut down from Amazon.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Every time I get brave enough to venture out to a store, I always look for hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes, neither of which I've been able to find. :( I, thankfully, have bleach on hand and will make my own cleaning rags to keep things as clean as I can. But sure would like to find some hand sanitizer, especially for my ds and her dh. :( Has anyone made their own using rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel? I've got the rubbing acohol but I assume I could order aloe vera gel thru Amazon.

We have a few small spray bottles of a "natural" hand sanitizer that we bought quite a while back. When those empty, we've been pouring our 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in them, and that can just be sprayed directly on hands. It's of course a fire hazard, so keep away from flames!! We only use when really necessary.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

When was this? I had heard they were slowing down non-essentials, but I didn't yet know they were shutting down.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned looting, and now I can’t find the post to quote it...

*now, this is through word of mouth, I can’t confirm it* but wanted to mention so people could be aware because it will likely be a reality soon if it isn’t right now...

My aunt in Ohio said they have already had home invasions in her area for food and basic supplies - people kicking in doors at ridiculous hours in the night holding homeowners at gunpoint. (They don’t live in the best area, but also not the worst). Something that had crossed my mind (thanks to a book series I read a couple years ago), but hadn’t really thought would be a reality for our situation just yet.

As this continues, be mindful of locking doors and taking precautions. Start talking about self/family defense now. Get a game plan with any children that might be in the home. We aren’t panicking, but we are aware of what could be as things progress.

Someone here was held up at gunpoint outside the grocery store and her groceries were stolen. People were also stealing out of each other's carts. A person in a group I'm in admitted to stealing two gallons of milk out of a cart with a lot of milk because it wasn't fair when she can't get food to support her diabetes diet. Another was robbed the other night. It's pretty sad.

Well i look like a fool (sort of). Dh wanted to but another gun yesterday and I berated him over it. I don't see how that's the answer, he has guns. And it's not the solution anyone wants. The government needs to step in an start handing some of this *kitten* out!

Take a shopping buddy yall!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

When was this? I had heard they were slowing down non-essentials, but I didn't yet know they were shutting down.

https://businessinsider.com/coronavirus-amazon-suspends-all-non-essential-shipments-to-warehouses-2020-3

I am sure this can be read many different ways but it seems to be from Amazon.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned looting, and now I can’t find the post to quote it...

*now, this is through word of mouth, I can’t confirm it* but wanted to mention so people could be aware because it will likely be a reality soon if it isn’t right now...

My aunt in Ohio said they have already had home invasions in her area for food and basic supplies - people kicking in doors at ridiculous hours in the night holding homeowners at gunpoint. (They don’t live in the best area, but also not the worst). Something that had crossed my mind (thanks to a book series I read a couple years ago), but hadn’t really thought would be a reality for our situation just yet.

As this continues, be mindful of locking doors and taking precautions. Start talking about self/family defense now. Get a game plan with any children that might be in the home. We aren’t panicking, but we are aware of what could be as things progress.

Someone here was held up at gunpoint outside the grocery store and her groceries were stolen. People were also stealing out of each other's carts. A person in a group I'm in admitted to stealing two gallons of milk out of a cart with a lot of milk because it wasn't fair when she can't get food to support her diabetes diet. Another was robbed the other night. It's pretty sad.

Well i look like a fool (sort of). Dh wanted to but another gun yesterday and I berated him over it. I don't see how that's the answer, he has guns. And it's not the solution anyone wants. The government needs to step in an start handing some of this *kitten* out!

Take a shopping buddy yall!
    I have a couple anti-gun family members that are currently asking my dad if they can borrow one of his... it’s pretty crazy...