Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Checking in from the bottom of the world. Here are New Zealand's latest stats

sryc6lrbrk5n.png

We're on Day 8 of lockdown, and as I've said previously, lockdown really does mean lockdown here. Everything is closed except supermarkets, pharmacies, medical centres, petrol stations, and dairies (convenience stores). We are expected to stay local if going out for a walk etc, only go to supermarket when we really need to. Supermarkets have a one out/one in system to limit the number of people in store, markings on floor for checkout to show distancing, shields for the checkout operators, and we pack out own groceries. Dairies can only have one customer in at a time (many are very small). The rules on essential items were relaxed a little early this week, so some things are now able to be ordered online for contactless delivery, mostly it's things like appliances, home office needs, winter clothing and bedding, etc (though I may have just ordered curling mousse to aid my apocalypse project of encouraging my hair to curl :lol: I'm not quite sure how that qualifies as essential, but I'll go with it!). Most people are adhering to the rules very well. People who aren't get an initial friend chat from the police to explain the requirements, repeat offenders get to visit a cell (has only happened a few times). I think one person has now been prosecuted for repeatedly being a dick.

I did a supermarket shop this morning, my first trip out other than my usual close to home walks, and it was very surreal with queues at the supermarket, made more so by the fact my little town's testing caravan is set up right opposite one of the supermarkets. I can report that toilet paper was in plentiful supply. Like, overkill plentiful supply. I should have taken photos of the multiple stacks around the place.

It's very interesting reading everyone here's posts. i honestly don't know that NZ's hardcore approach would have a hope in hell of being accepted in the US.

Full lockdown does work. New cases here have been declining for the past few days despite increased testing efforts.

5ogg93yrj28l.png

Yep, we're hoping to start seeing a decrease in new cases in a few days.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Duolingo has it. I don't know if it's good, but worth a try as it's no cost. I've thought about it -- Welsh, Swedish, and German are languages I've considered (I studied French and Russian in school and learned some Spanish and Italian before trips). Ultimately I've done Swedish and German on Duolingo (and now German at a local learning center online), and would love to do Welsh too.

The phrases are often hilarious -- I know how to say, in German, "I am not pregnant, I am a man," and "the duck ran around the pig," among other silly things, but I do think they are teaching concepts in a way.

I might give it another try; I had looked at Duolingo but wasn't having much luck before. I tried a CD teach yourself course once. Just listening like that took me over a month to be able to repeat the phrases. They lost me on the second lesson.

Spanish is one language I've pretty much given up on, because no matter how hard I try, or how many variations of trying to learn how, I cannot trill my r's. I don't think the romance languages period are that easy to pronounce for me. Easier to learn the grammar, sure, but I have a time with some of the sounds. I can do a passible German ch and a somewhat passible Welsh ll, but forget tapped r's and trilled r's. Which is kind of funny because my best french can trill her r's all day long and speaks wonderful Spanish, but she can't do the gutteral sounds like "ch" at all, which frustrated her to no end when she was trying to learn Hebrew.

A classmate of mine from high school lost her husband the day before yesterday in a bad car accident. That's hard enough, but because of the virus and the lock down, they are only going to be able to do graveside rites (neither of hte funeral homes in this area are set up for live streaming). Its sad because they had 2 kids both under the age of 6. The pastor's wife is starting a round to have folks who normally would have been at the funeral to at least send sympathy cards. She would usually also put together a meal and have folks bring food for the family, but with the stay at home orders, I'm not sure if she'll be able to do that.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the BBC has a basic welsch grammar document, downloadable for free:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/pdf/welshgrammar_allrules.pdf

It won't teach you much vocabulary or how to speak it, but it'll teach you how it's build up :wink:

Reminds me that now would be the time to get back to Japanese. Although I still have quite the workload coming up for my studies. Worse than my work workload...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another observation about cognitive style:

Everyone here knows that guidance on the usefulness of masks in the general population has been shifting.

I'm interpreting this as a sign of the intensive high-speed research going on, and new results constantly coming out from it, looking at how the virus can be transmitted (theoretically), how it actually is commonly transmitted in practical terms, how long it persists in viable form on varying surfaces under varying conditions, how the human factors affect mask use (like, do people touch their face more because masks shift around, do people shift behavior in a riskier direction with protective gear, do people use masks correctly or in ways that make things worse (reuse, unsanitary handling, wearing until wet from breath, and more), etc.), what the effect of masks is on getting the virus is vs. transmitting it to others, concern about mask supplies if there's a public run on the supply, what implications the viral load question has in this context, and so forth.

Some of my friends (on other social networks) seem to be taking the shifting advice about masks as a sign that experts are flip-floppers who can't agree or even make up their minds, are probably hiding something from us, or - at an extreme, among those few friends who never met a conspiracy theory that doesn't appeal to them - even are tricking us because they want us to get sick and die.

Yes, my friend/relative set is very diverse. Right now, that's even a little scarier than usual.

I think that (1) the importance of trying to ensure that supplies of medical masks were not bought up and hoarded by the general public caused a lot of the messaging aimed at achieving that end to be skewed and obviously counterintuitive ("Wait, they're saying masks can protect doctors and nurses but they don't work to protect the rest of us? What?") which in turn made it difficult for some people to trust that message and (2) despite the importance of flattening the curve, those managing the message that the general public shouldn't be wearing masks completely overlooked the value of masks in helping keep the asympomatic, presymptomatic, and the mildly symptomatic from passing the disease on.

If someone knows better than me, please correct me, but my impression is that medical personnel in operating rooms wear surgical masks to keep from infecting the patient they're cutting open, not generally to protect themselves from whatever the patient might have.

I don't think the prime thing that is changing the message is new evidence that changes the best practice.
    I think the prime thing that is changing the message is that those managing the message are finally waking up to (2) above and the fact that we ought to be assuming that everyone, including ourselves, is infected.

I don't disagree with you about the thrust of the messaging, or that it likely initially had a manipulative component.

I can't give you cites because my source was listening to NPR and BBC on radio, but I believe there's a new study out in just the last few days showing potentially-infecting particles from coughs/sneezes traveling much farther than previously thought (like twice as far), plus some fairly new information about the nature of virus shedding by people who are still asymptomatic.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    NZ is handling this well, so are a lot of US states, but please consider this. The total population is less than most of the large cities in the US with the majority of the cases. Being sparsely populated, which supports the social distancing that’s taking place worldwide) is an advantage in fighting this disease. That’s an advantage NZ, and US states, with smaller, more sparsely populated areas have. It can slow the spread, but no one knows what the end results will show.

The difference is, the enforcing of the policies, and getting people to understand what not complying can do. It’s a selfish attitude. Many people think only of their personal freedom, not believing they are at risk of spreading the disease. They are wrong.

Your last paragraph especially is so very very true. I hope more start to realise how many this is killing over there in USA :( Thinking of you all. We have very few here so far but I'm sure it'll get worse yet.

The last paragraph is very true. There are people who either don't care, don't believe it's a problem, or think it would never happen to them (optimism bias). These people make things worse, no matter how well a country or a state is handling things.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

Hon, I can't trill my "rr's" after 36 years in Italy. They still understand me. I still have an "American" accent. Don't let that hold you back from learning a language. If people can understand you, you're doing great. It's difficult to speak like a native, unless you've learned the language as a child. One thing we've noticed here is that Slavic language speakers, such as Polish, Russian, etc, learn to speak Italian even as adults with no accent. My husband is constantly amazed.

I had Spanish in high school, but it was a video class and we never actually had conversation time or someone to listen to correct our pronunciations. Coming out of those classes, I could read Spanish fairly well, write in it ok, but still couldn't really speak it or follow a conversation in it. And now that its been over 20 years ago, I can't even do those things any more lol

What is it about the Russian language that allows them to learn other languages flawlessly? I know, that's just my perception, but it does seem to me that they can learn how to sound like a native in a lot of other languages. It's like Germans who can speak American English just like a native, though I can at least get how Germans learn to do that - both languages are from the same root language, at least - but Russian and the other Slavic languages split from the Romance languages a very, very long time ago and are radically different, so I'm amazed at their ability, too alongside your husband!