Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

1103104106108109127

Replies

  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,428 Member Member Posts: 5,428 Member
    Frosting on brownies is a travesty, period.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

    Agreed, frosting is only necessary on dry brownies, and dry brownies are an abomination so you might as well just have an actual cupcake.

    Yep!

    Wrong:

    k78o9mrel3wp.jpg

    Right:

    dlte3whcrbm9.jpg
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Member Posts: 3,589 Member Member Posts: 3,589 Member
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

    You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!
  • kimny72kimny72 Member Posts: 15,240 Member Member Posts: 15,240 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

    You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!

    I know it's not essential, but I just added brownie mix to my shopping list, assuming I can just grab it off the shelf if I'm already in the aisle anyway :blush:
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,117 Member Member Posts: 23,117 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

    You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!

    I know it's not essential, but I just added brownie mix to my shopping list, assuming I can just grab it off the shelf if I'm already in the aisle anyway :blush:

    Arguing that brownies aren't essential . . . a whole unpopular opinion in and of itself, at least for me! :p
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

    You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!

    I know it's not essential, but I just added brownie mix to my shopping list, assuming I can just grab it off the shelf if I'm already in the aisle anyway :blush:

    Arguing that brownies aren't essential . . . a whole unpopular opinion in and of itself, at least for me! :p

    Brownies are ESSENTIAL in crisis. They will heal the world I'm sure of it.

    sq8nl5stir9k.jpg
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,117 Member Member Posts: 23,117 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but good brownies do NOT need frosting!

    You know I'm a frosting nut but I don't care for frosting on brownies. A glob of icing on one side of the plate and a brownie separate sure, but not together. I wouldn't even dip the brownie in it, even if it was a bad one. If it was a bad one I wouldn't waste the calories eating it. But now I want a warm brownie with dark chocolate chips all gooey and melted!

    I know it's not essential, but I just added brownie mix to my shopping list, assuming I can just grab it off the shelf if I'm already in the aisle anyway :blush:

    Arguing that brownies aren't essential . . . a whole unpopular opinion in and of itself, at least for me! :p

    Brownies are ESSENTIAL in crisis. They will heal the world I'm sure of it.


    I actually searched pantry-ingredient friendly brownie recipes after seeing this thread earlier. I'm going to do my part! (100% frosting-free, of course).

    edited April 1
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 1,573 Member Member Posts: 1,573 Member
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.
  • brittanystebbins95brittanystebbins95 Member Posts: 522 Member Member Posts: 522 Member
    Jumping on board the frosting train...
    I once had a friend who firmly believed that white frosting belonged on apple pie.
    Umm, no. Apple pie is delicious. Frosting is delicious. How dare you ruin them by putting them together.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    Jumping on board the frosting train...
    I once had a friend who firmly believed that white frosting belonged on apple pie.
    Umm, no. Apple pie is delicious. Frosting is delicious. How dare you ruin them by putting them together.

    I can see this actually... kind of like icing on apple strudel??
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

    Agreed.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,428 Member Member Posts: 5,428 Member
    Correct. I am not aware of cookies with frosting being a thing, but they should not be.
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Member Posts: 3,589 Member Member Posts: 3,589 Member
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

    The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.
  • ejbronteejbronte Member Posts: 812 Member Member Posts: 812 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

    The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

    There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

    The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

    There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.

    There is a distinction to be made between frosting, icing and ganache on cookies. Ginger cookies or lemon cookies with a thin icing... amazing. Chocolate cookies with a layer of chocolate ganache.. yes please. Sugar cookies with thick globs of frosting? Hard pass.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,428 Member Member Posts: 5,428 Member
    Cookies should not have icing, period,
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cookies should not have icing, period,

    Iced animal cookies??? c'mon! Glazed ginger cookies??

    wfod0du9neeo.jpg
    vqnhi79287w2.jpg
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,618 Member Member Posts: 3,618 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

    The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

    There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.

    There is a distinction to be made between frosting, icing and ganache on cookies. Ginger cookies or lemon cookies with a thin icing... amazing. Chocolate cookies with a layer of chocolate ganache.. yes please. Sugar cookies with thick globs of frosting? Hard pass.

    Some frosting on some cookies can be good. Ganache is excellent on certain cookies.

    Of course, ganache can also be eaten with a spoon, as it's basically just free-range chocolate truffles.

    I don't really expect that last to be an unpopular opinion, except among the rare (and crazy) chocolate haters. ;)

    ganache is BEST eaten with a spoon ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.