What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cookies should not have icing, period,

Iced animal cookies??? c'mon! Glazed ginger cookies??

wfod0du9neeo.jpg
    vqnhi79287w2.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.

There is a distinction to be made between frosting, icing and ganache on cookies. Ginger cookies or lemon cookies with a thin icing... amazing. Chocolate cookies with a layer of chocolate ganache.. yes please. Sugar cookies with thick globs of frosting? Hard pass.

Some frosting on some cookies can be good. Ganache is excellent on certain cookies.

Of course, ganache can also be eaten with a spoon, as it's basically just free-range chocolate truffles.

I don't really expect that last to be an unpopular opinion, except among the rare (and crazy) chocolate haters. ;)

ganache is BEST eaten with a spoon ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

wfod0du9neeo.jpg
    vqnhi79287w2.jpg

Not among my favorite cookies.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Along these same lines...I don't think cookies need frosting either. A good cookie doesn't need any accessories.

The only cookies I've had with frosting were horrible cookies, the sugar in the frosting still tasted good though! Oh wait, my Mom makes these cookies at Christmas that are like chocolate cake with frosting, THOSE are amazing! I don't remember the name of them though. My favorite covering for cookies are shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate.

There's an exception to every rule! I recall a chocolate cookie with a layer of mint in the middle and a thin chocolate coating on top which we all liked very much. And there is the Mallowmar, which needs the coating in order to exist.

There is a distinction to be made between frosting, icing and ganache on cookies. Ginger cookies or lemon cookies with a thin icing... amazing. Chocolate cookies with a layer of chocolate ganache.. yes please. Sugar cookies with thick globs of frosting? Hard pass.

Some frosting on some cookies can be good. Ganache is excellent on certain cookies.

Of course, ganache can also be eaten with a spoon, as it's basically just free-range chocolate truffles.

I don't really expect that last to be an unpopular opinion, except among the rare (and crazy) chocolate haters. ;)

Oh man, I love me some chocolate but I'm not a truffle lover.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member

wfod0du9neeo.jpg
    vqnhi79287w2.jpg

Not among my favorite cookies.

Two of my favorite cookies. :p
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Bacon is vile
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Bacon is vile

I agree
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Butterscotch is terrible.
    Tastes like chemically over-sweetened sadness.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    High quality frozen custard is FAR superior to high quality ice cream.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Sugar cookies should always have a generous layer of cream cheese frosting.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I don't understand the fuss about ice cream. I mean, it's okay, but not a favorite and I certainly can't see myself eating an entire pint in one sitting!
  • pancakerunner
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Bacon is vile
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Bacon is vile

I agree

So I see the both of you never had proper smoked bacon then........ or you are both vegetarians ;)

TURKEY bacon is vile. Applewood smoked REAL thickcut bacon? To die for.
  • pancakerunner
    Real cream ice cream is way over rated.

Agree. I would rather eat a bowl of whipped cream than ice cream. Soft serve ice cream though....
  • pancakerunner
    Ice cream with excessive mix ins/chunks/etc. is a total disaster.
  • pancakerunner
    Bacon is vile
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Bacon is vile

I agree

So I see the both of you never had proper smoked bacon then........ or you are both vegetarians ;)

TURKEY bacon is vile. Applewood smoked REAL thickcut bacon? To die for.

No such thing as turkey bacon. Turkey nor chicken have belly meat.... Those creations are vile, even worse than hot dogs IMHO.

A big huge *kitten* NO!!!
    0006582298080.jpg

A huge YES!!!
    20181015_Applewood-Smoked-Bacon_RE_HE_M.jpg

1k94prdtxqp3.jpg
    xffc1z1svkzk.jpg
    82t1llb8zdaa.jpg

makes my heart sing!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Bacon's okay; I can take it or leave it, actually. Though I have a favorite story from a New Yorker article on perfume manufacturers and scent seekers: at the end of the article, the writer asked if there was an absolutely irresistible fragrance. Yes, said the manufacturer. Bacon.

In general, I don't like pork, including sausages. I do like beef hot dogs, but really only Hebrew National, and for me to really like it, let it be grilled or broiled - dry heat, not wet, for me.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Ice cream with excessive mix ins/chunks/etc. is a total disaster.

Agree. I think this is why I’ve never been really crazy about Ben and Jerry.