Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    People are starting to feel it here. A substantial subset of workers are daily workers who earn per job/project/day of work and are not salaried, so no works means no money. Salaried workers are fine because they're being paid even if they aren't working from home and companies are not allowed to arbitrarily lay off employees.

They're planning to gradually open some sectors, starting with factories. For now, they're only allowing foreign workers who live in factory compounds to work at 40% capacity. Things have been going well so far, but I hope it won't get worse when more sectors start operating and more actively social people start working. Many people don't care to keep a safe distance.
    bldin5wqnn5p.png

This may be different from country to country. Here in the U.S., we salaried employees can still be laid off temporarily and not paid. Where I work, there are many in that category next week. We make parts for cars, and since auto manufacturers (our customers) are shut down, so are we. The plant I used to work at (same company, different division) makes auto parts also, but a different type of product. Unlike my current plant, their parts are also used in equipment of all kinds. They had a sudden business increase because one of their parts is used to make a ventilator.

Fortunately I am still WFH next week (all of us salary employees had a temporary pay cut, though), but much of the administrative staff even is laid off for the next week.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Here in Italy 3 weeks of lockdown and it's been extended to May 3rd. The government keeps pushing opening back, saying "Just a little more". I think it's because they don't know what to do. Many businesses will have to stay closed for a longer time, including hairdressers, gyms :'( , and coffee bars. These are places with close personal contact.

There is a need to know who has antibodies and is no longer contagious. It was asked why it takes so long for the results of the test. Because it takes 2 weeks after being cured to do the test, then wait another 2 weeks to retake it because many in that time frame test positive again. So it takes a month or more.

Our new cases here are in decline, which is good news. Fewer patients are in intensive care. For the Easter weekend there is a crackdown on movement. Roadblocks are everywhere but especially on roads leading out of the city. No transfering to second homes in the country or beach. Helicopters will be checking for large groups on the roofs of buildings.

Even though New Zealand is tracking really well, I won't be at all surprised if we stay in lockdown past the initial four week period, just because they want to be sure it's well enough under control that we're not just going it end up going into lockdown again, and that there are no unknown pockets where it's quietly bubbling away.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    There's a music video posted in the meme thread with photos of empty (normally busy) areas of Chicago and NYC and (perhaps, I don't recall?) elsewhere that's really striking.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    There's a music video posted in the meme thread with photos of empty (normally busy) areas of Chicago and NYC and (perhaps, I don't recall?) elsewhere that's really striking.

It's been taken down due to copyright concerns. It was truly heart-wrenching. :(
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I had to get my boys out yesterday...they haven't been out of the neighborhood in a month and were starting to lose it. We went up to the mountains to do some hiking. They usually complain about going hiking, but they were just excited to go anywhere. It was a total of about 3 hours in the car for a couple hours worth of hiking, but totally worth it.

I'm cleaning up the camping trailer this weekend and de-winterizing...going to find a nice long weekend in May to go out and do some dispersed camping. Camping may be all we get this year in terms of "vacation" and getting away.

Camping has always been our get away of choice for vacations at our state parks. They currently are closed for camping until May 4th, and could be extended, depending on the next few weeks😢
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I had to get my boys out yesterday...they haven't been out of the neighborhood in a month and were starting to lose it. We went up to the mountains to do some hiking. They usually complain about going hiking, but they were just excited to go anywhere. It was a total of about 3 hours in the car for a couple hours worth of hiking, but totally worth it.

I'm cleaning up the camping trailer this weekend and de-winterizing...going to find a nice long weekend in May to go out and do some dispersed camping. Camping may be all we get this year in terms of "vacation" and getting away.

Camping has always been our get away of choice for vacations at our state parks. They currently are closed for camping until May 4th, and could be extended, depending on the next few weeks😢

All of our state parks are closed as are NFS campgrounds, but you can still do dispersed camping and I don't see that changing. Basically just going up to the mountains and finding a fire road or forest road and roll until you find a nice spot to set up. I actually prefer this most of the time anyway as your rarely come across other people, and when you do, they're camped out a half mile from you.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I just walked over to a local cafe to get a coffee and some pastries for today and for Easter. On the walk home, I passed a couple men eating out of trash cans. So heartbreaking, but especially now when so many of the churches are closed and not feeding them their regular lunch. I know they have shelter options if they want them, but it still hurts to see the choice they've made. And as dangerous as eating half consumed burgers from a trash can normally is, I was just horrified at the thought of the virus germs they might be ingesting.

I need to go back and get more pastries this afternoon.