Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    There's a music video posted in the meme thread with photos of empty (normally busy) areas of Chicago and NYC and (perhaps, I don't recall?) elsewhere that's really striking.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    There's a music video posted in the meme thread with photos of empty (normally busy) areas of Chicago and NYC and (perhaps, I don't recall?) elsewhere that's really striking.

It's been taken down due to copyright concerns. It was truly heart-wrenching. :(
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I had to get my boys out yesterday...they haven't been out of the neighborhood in a month and were starting to lose it. We went up to the mountains to do some hiking. They usually complain about going hiking, but they were just excited to go anywhere. It was a total of about 3 hours in the car for a couple hours worth of hiking, but totally worth it.

I'm cleaning up the camping trailer this weekend and de-winterizing...going to find a nice long weekend in May to go out and do some dispersed camping. Camping may be all we get this year in terms of "vacation" and getting away.

Camping has always been our get away of choice for vacations at our state parks. They currently are closed for camping until May 4th, and could be extended, depending on the next few weeks😢
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I had to get my boys out yesterday...they haven't been out of the neighborhood in a month and were starting to lose it. We went up to the mountains to do some hiking. They usually complain about going hiking, but they were just excited to go anywhere. It was a total of about 3 hours in the car for a couple hours worth of hiking, but totally worth it.

I'm cleaning up the camping trailer this weekend and de-winterizing...going to find a nice long weekend in May to go out and do some dispersed camping. Camping may be all we get this year in terms of "vacation" and getting away.

Camping has always been our get away of choice for vacations at our state parks. They currently are closed for camping until May 4th, and could be extended, depending on the next few weeks😢

All of our state parks are closed as are NFS campgrounds, but you can still do dispersed camping and I don't see that changing. Basically just going up to the mountains and finding a fire road or forest road and roll until you find a nice spot to set up. I actually prefer this most of the time anyway as your rarely come across other people, and when you do, they're camped out a half mile from you.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I just walked over to a local cafe to get a coffee and some pastries for today and for Easter. On the walk home, I passed a couple men eating out of trash cans. So heartbreaking, but especially now when so many of the churches are closed and not feeding them their regular lunch. I know they have shelter options if they want them, but it still hurts to see the choice they've made. And as dangerous as eating half consumed burgers from a trash can normally is, I was just horrified at the thought of the virus germs they might be ingesting.

I need to go back and get more pastries this afternoon.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    @verocpaz

Many prayers for you, your loved ones and your country.
  • verocpaz
    verocpaz Posts: 4 Member
    Thank u very much. I guess we are safe as long as we stay inside. Hopefully this ends soon.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    verocpaz wrote: »
    Thank u very much. I guess we are safe as long as we stay inside. Hopefully this ends soon.

Not 100%. There is a woman in NC who got it after staying inside for 3 weeks. She caught it from someone who delivered food (or some kind of essential delivery). But every time you wash your hands and every trip you avoid to the store, etc. makes your chances of getting sick a little bit less. Every little bit that is possible helps. I'm sure this woman would not have been any better off if she had stopped eating, so some risks have to be taken anyway. It's just about trying to minimize risk knowing that it will never be quite zero.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Piece on what runners are doing during coronavirus with races cancelled and popular trails closed: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-coronavirus-chicago-running-20200411-zznd5xjxpfah3czhgeqgkeupyi-story.html

I never run on the most popular (and closed) trails anymore anyway, but had been planning to do spring races (and summer ones, which will also likely be cancelled). In my last place, the lakefront trail was exactly 1 mile from my house (more like 2 now), along the route I usually took, and it's marked, so was a great way to train, but parts of it are not shaded (not a big deal this time of year, but can be in the summer), and it is always crowded during decent weather and got boring, so a couple of years ago I started planning longer runs as a tour of neighborhoods or an opportunity to try out new trails, and even my shorter runs were usually through neighborhoods (you can gauge distance easily by blocks here too, although I'd have my Runkeeper too). I'd often choose direction by which light was green when I had to cross busier streets, and one reason I discovered my current neighborhood is because it was part of one of my running loops. Anyway, my training has not been good over the past few weeks although I've done short runs every other day, so I need to think through ways to get back into it. I'm trying out a virtual training session on Monday to get more interesting ideas about what to do with my inadequate set of not very heavy dumbbells. I know there's lots of bodyweight stuff that is great but I've always like barbells and dumbbells so much more.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Today in Rome helicopters flying overhead to make sure people are not having group barbecues up on the terraces and roofs of buildings. They'll be flying tomorrow too. There are roadblocks everywhere. The fines are stiff for people who want to get out of the city and go to the beaches or mountains. To make things worse the weather is gorgeous.

I'm curious, why? If a family is quarantined together, does it really make a difference for them to have a barbecue on the terrace? It's been raining a lot lately, but I can see people doing all kinds of activities in their yards or on the terrace once it clears up.