Women over 40- Let's lose 20 pounds!

Options

Replies

• PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    foodie4run wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I’m 41 and looking to join for some accountability and motivation. I would like to lose 10-15 lbs I gained in the last year. I’m a runner and this extra weight is putting strain on my joints and back. I tend to over estimate how much food I can eat because I run a lot but the extra calories add up fast. I know getting back to calorie counting will help me make better food choices and help me monitor portion sizes.

Hi foodie, and welcome. Hey, we’re neighbors-I’m in Elkhorn WI. 🙂 it’s SO easy to gain and hard to lose, isn’t it? Boo! Like you, I have to track every darn thing to stay on track. Thank goodness for MFP.

I’m so disappointed-I can’t ride my bike today. It’s just too windy. We’re going to have wind in the teens until Thursday. That’s just too windy for me. At least it will be in the high 50s by then so I’m hopeful.

Picked up groceries, did laundry and a little cleaning, and got my 80DO workout in. I have the rest of the day to relax. Yay!

I hope you’re having a great Saturday!
  • SherryCook2
    SherryCook2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is the most amazing low cal ice cream! I have tried pretty much everything on the market and this stuff takes the cake. If you are looking for a special treat I highly recommend this..
    ..caution I ate the whole pint, only 330 cals so dont feel that bad about it! 😁
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Hello! I am turning 42 in 3 months and feel like a complete failure lol I’ve been on MFP for years now and here I am again. I’m 5’4 and weight about 160. Is love to get. Between 130-135. I’m going to start working out but I need a support group! I had breast cancer 8 years ago so I’ve been on medication that puts me in menopause so it’s been hard to lose the weight. I’m feeling motivated though! Add me as a friend if you’d like. I’m from Nova Scotia Canada and need to be held accountable lol

Welcome! You’re not the only one to come and go and come back again. Menopause is the devil!!!! I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with it already.

• PedmomJill
    Options
    This is the most amazing low cal ice cream! I have tried pretty much everything on the market and this stuff takes the cake. If you are looking for a special treat I highly recommend this..

Oooh thanks for sharing! I love ice cream and will look for it.

• gela130
    gela130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @PedmomJill HECK YEAH! great stimulus check purchase. I am in AZ and it gets hot in the summer. In house equipment rocks. I am working out. Actually quite a bit. In Jan 2020 I made a goal to walk/run a half marathon and I did it! March 21, 2020. But now I am training using a program similar to the 13.1 to walk/run a marathon. My eating is my worst enemy. Even if I do not choose the best foods to eat, I need to track track track. UGH. It is my worst battle. I am very happy with my progress, but you are right. It is NEVER enough it seems. I need to be more focused on that progress. I have come a long freakin way. LOL Have a wonderful day. Loved your kind posts to everyone. <3

Wow! Great work on your half!! Such a great accomplishment!
  • gela130
    Options
    foodie4run wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I’m 41 and looking to join for some accountability and motivation. I would like to lose 10-15 lbs I gained in the last year. I’m a runner and this extra weight is putting strain on my joints and back. I tend to over estimate how much food I can eat because I run a lot but the extra calories add up fast. I know getting back to calorie counting will help me make better food choices and help me monitor portion sizes.

I am a runner too- doesnt take much extra weight to increase that joint pressure:( I dont ever want to give up running because of injury- I pulled a calf muscle 2 summers ago and I couldnt run for 6 months- hated that and am still trying to get back what I lost!! so that helps motivate me to stick with healthy eating:)
  • gela130
    Options
    Hello! I am turning 42 in 3 months and feel like a complete failure lol I’ve been on MFP for years now and here I am again. I’m 5’4 and weight about 160. Is love to get. Between 130-135. I’m going to start working out but I need a support group! I had breast cancer 8 years ago so I’ve been on medication that puts me in menopause so it’s been hard to lose the weight. I’m feeling motivated though! Add me as a friend if you’d like. I’m from Nova Scotia Canada and need to be held accountable lol

Welcome!! I dont think this journey ever ends:) one of the best parts of being 40 or 50 I think is recognizing all the amazing things our bodies have handled over the past several decades! Part of my motivation is still vanity :( hope that part of the journey ends at some point. But also a major part is wanting my body to be as healthy as it can be for the next several decades. Your story is inspiring and I certainly dont think of failure after reading your post:)
  • gela130
    Options

Good to know! Luckily I am not an ice cream lover (fried and salty is my weakness) but my husband loves ice cream. I buy 'light' sometimes and he hates it (I think it tastes the same as the non-light but he lets me know that I do not have the refined ice cream palette that he does!)
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    gela130 wrote: »

Good to know! Luckily I am not an ice cream lover (fried and salty is my weakness) but my husband loves ice cream. I buy 'light' sometimes and he hates it (I think it tastes the same as the non-light but he lets me know that I do not have the refined ice cream palette that he does!)

So funny - I can have a bag of potato chips in the cupboard for a month lol. Sugar all the way for me!
  • SherryCook2
    SherryCook2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah icecream is my vice but I do have to say there is a soft spot in my heart for potato chips and french frys.....I have not found any that fit in my calorie budget though so I just have to say no.
  • BittersweetVita
    BittersweetVita Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am hoping to join your group as I have enjoyed reading through everyone's posts! I am 42 and have been struggling with my weight for nearly half my life. I have restarted so many times. I have had a few medical set backs (hypothyroidism, cancer, and menopause) and I was determined to not give up this time back in January.

I was doing well with staying near 1200 calories and walking. I thought I was losing weight. But six weeks in, I had lost nothing. I was bummed but was going to not give up again. Then my husband had to have surgery and I was doing it all at home with 4 kids and stopped taking the time for MFP and my walking. And now, with the stay at home situation, I am at a loss with how to manage everything and how to stop the emotional desires of carbs that help me feel good.

My stats are:
    Exercise - Walking and Stretching
    Exercise Goals - Running, Weight Lifting, Dancing, PiYo, Les Mills, Kayaking, Bike Riding - I want to feel like I am really enjoying my life which I haven't felt in a long time.
    Height -5'3"
    Current weight - 193 lbs
    Goal Weight - I don't know anymore. I used to say 130 lbs. At this point, I just want to lose something, ya know? 😄
  • gela130
    Options
    Hi there! I am hoping to join your group as I have enjoyed reading through everyone's posts! I am 42 and have been struggling with my weight for nearly half my life. I have restarted so many times. I have had a few medical set backs (hypothyroidism, cancer, and menopause) and I was determined to not give up this time back in January.

I was doing well with staying near 1200 calories and walking. I thought I was losing weight. But six weeks in, I had lost nothing. I was bummed but was going to not give up again. Then my husband had to have surgery and I was doing it all at home with 4 kids and stopped taking the time for MFP and my walking. And now, with the stay at home situation, I am at a loss with how to manage everything and how to stop the emotional desires of carbs that help me feel good.

My stats are:
    Exercise - Walking and Stretching
    Exercise Goals - Running, Weight Lifting, Dancing, PiYo, Les Mills, Kayaking, Bike Riding - I want to feel like I am really enjoying my life which I haven't felt in a long time.
    Height -5'3"
    Current weight - 193 lbs
    Goal Weight - I don't know anymore. I used to say 130 lbs. At this point, I just want to lose something, ya know? 😄

Wow! I feel your frustration. Sounds like you are doing the right things- so super frustrating. Is your husband doing ok? That is a lot to handle!! (I also have 4 kiddos:) and a husband with heart issues so I see a little bit into your window- what are you kids' ages?) I think your goal of enjoying your life is the most important one❤ hang in there!
  • gela130
    Options
    Hello Everyone...

I have enjoyed reading your stories and find this groups’ dynamics to be most closely representative to what I feel would be a beneficial support group for me. I am looking for a method to provide additional motivation, accountability and support in my journey of weight loss and health improvement. I am more or less new to MFP... I downloaded the app in 2011 and logged my weight a few times over the years (always either just before or after the Christmas holidays), but otherwise never used it. I told myself in February of this year that you just don’t see old people my size... and I would rather not do social isolation by a vertical displacement of 6 ft. - so this what initiated my weight-loss/health improvement journey. I have been telling myself for many years that I would do this, but never really got anywhere with it - too many dinners out, business lunches, parties, etc.

I started this endeavor on February 5, weighing in at 349 lbs. Funny thing is, I don’t feel like I am appreciably overweight... I am 6’ tall with a large frame and carry my weight fairly well. I am muscular and agile. I don’t generally see it in the mirror - but when I see myself in a photograph adjacent to much smaller people, I look like a giant. I have lost a significant amount of weight since then - down to 302.0 yesterday morning. During February, I only used MFP to log my weight and check caloric content of foods. I never really explored the other features available. I started using Noom March 4 and found it provided a needed boost in my focus on diet and exercise. I am still learning how to diet and exercise since I have never really done this in the past. I have always been very active, I just have never called the activities exercise. Noom has some positive characteristics, however the group dynamics are very weak. That doesn’t necessarily reflect the experiences others may have, just that the group I am NOOMing with lacks in participation. With NOOM there is a group you are assigned to - there are no messaging boards like there are here.

Well, a few days ago I found myself loosing focus on my weight loss goals, stumbled on the messaging feature when looking into modifying settings on MFP and was surprised to find others willing to provide mutual support. That evening I posted to a few threads - all individuals looking for mutual support - and only had one reply. That person joined a group for support. I have looked at the threads in the support groups section and I don’t feel posting a date/weight every day is the right motivational path for me. I do like the dynamics of this group and think it would be a good fit.

An important caveat - I am 56 and I am a male. I did notice that this group was comprised of only females. The only reason I am posting this here is I feel this group best represents what I am looking for in a support group - thoughtful conversation, good dynamics, and a strong group of participants.

Let me know what you all think... if anyone feels they would rather keep the group all female, or perhaps I am too old, please let me know - and no further explanation would be necessary.

Thank you for reading this far - sometimes I tend to ramble when I write. I look forward to your response.

That is amazing progress! Must feel good to be on the verge of a major milestone. Congrats on that! You like Noom then, as far as process?
  • tiff0277
    tiff0277 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a win. I didnt eat THE candy !! Whoo hoo... small step but I will definitely celebrate it. M&Ms have been a go to.
  • lakeshawas3129
    lakeshawas3129 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!! So happy to be part of a group who have similar struggles. I’m 44 yrs old, weigh 144 and have the goal of getting to 125. I workout all the time, now I’ve really been doing a lot of running since the gym is closed. My weight will go from 142-145...it sucks but I’ve got to keep pushing..WE ALL HAVE TO KEEP PUSHING! I do log in daily what I eat on the app...which really helps me out a lot. I would love for us to be able to do virtual workouts, share recipes..anything to help keep us on track. I look forward to becoming friends with you all. Let’s push each other...
  • lakeshawas3129
    lakeshawas3129 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone on here from Texas? Perhaps DFW area?
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    @PedmomJill Yeah I dont really like to cook. I bake. My husband does the cooking so I struggle because the only things I like to cook are high calorie, high carb, comfort food casseroles. So all else fails I make scrambled eggs. It's just as easy for me to drink a protein shake..🙄 I know I need to exercise more, mostly because I have a desk job and that's just not healthy. I need to find a goal fitness wise or I just dont have the motivation.