May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Well im going to log the first run of May. 11.5k. Well was actually an eventful run.

First at 0.59km I realised that my watch was set for pace in miles. Continued drama since resetting it a couple of days ago. I can't think in miles, and because pace matters atm, I stopped and faffed around to change it back. Turns out that All my settings were Americanised. Sigh. So changed them as well.

Then as I was going I realised all the alerts were still showing up. So getting frequent buzzing as I got my various goals (floors climbed, intensity minutes etcl. OK. Cool. I can ignore that fortunately.

I took a slightly different route today that had more hills, that was some good running. Then the ultimate running badge happened just on 6k. i tripped. While going down hill. Landed with a thud on my palms, left elbow and left knee. Man that stings! Honestly though, it's mostly the pride that was bruised haha. It was silly really, had gone in the road briefly to run around some rubbish bins people had put on the sidewalk for collection, and when I went back up on the footpath, I just caught the toe of my left foot on the edge, and over I went.
    awcd72o4vz26.jpg

Immediately got up and kept going. It successfully slowed my pace a bit haha but I kept going and finished well.

Got home and the best Dr in the world (miss 3) put plasters on my scuffs and are looking after me. So going to relax now before going to walk.

Ouch. I hate collecting the pavement! Fortunately, it doesn't look too bad - I always manage to collect my chin as well.

As for Garmin - why, when you switch to metric, does it not switch to metric everywhere. I hate, hate, hate that. You have to change to metric, then you have to change tracking of each discipline - run, walk, trail run - over to metric. Bloody annoying. Then it still gives you badges for 'fastest mile'. I have zero concept of how long a mile is so I have to translate it back to metric and then it's like, fastest 1.6km, whoop-de-*kitten*. Who cares. When you switch to metric, everything to do with miles should just vanish. Rant over.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @Avidkeo oh no! that looks painful, especially on the elbow. Good for you for finishing your first run in May even with the challenges.

Definitely!

• PastorVincent
    OMG! You guys are seriously serious runners! After many, many years of not running outside, I'm back to running outside. So, I'll do a modest goal of 36 miles.

Well, seriousness is highly varied in this thread... ;)

Also, some of us are still working on our first mile, while others are trying to 2020 miles this year. We have some that are hurt and just hanging out, and some that are in multiyear-long-running streaks. All are welcome!

Welcome! If you are just starting out make sure you are careful not to overdo it. Take it easy and listen to your body.

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Well im going to log the first run of May. 11.5k. Well was actually an eventful run.

First at 0.59km I realised that my watch was set for pace in miles. Continued drama since resetting it a couple of days ago. I can't think in miles, and because pace matters atm, I stopped and faffed around to change it back. Turns out that All my settings were Americanised. Sigh. So changed them as well.

Then as I was going I realised all the alerts were still showing up. So getting frequent buzzing as I got my various goals (floors climbed, intensity minutes etcl. OK. Cool. I can ignore that fortunately.

I took a slightly different route today that had more hills, that was some good running. Then the ultimate running badge happened just on 6k. i tripped. While going down hill. Landed with a thud on my palms, left elbow and left knee. Man that stings! Honestly though, it's mostly the pride that was bruised haha. It was silly really, had gone in the road briefly to run around some rubbish bins people had put on the sidewalk for collection, and when I went back up on the footpath, I just caught the toe of my left foot on the edge, and over I went.
    awcd72o4vz26.jpg

Immediately got up and kept going. It successfully slowed my pace a bit haha but I kept going and finished well.

Got home and the best Dr in the world (miss 3) put plasters on my scuffs and are looking after me. So going to relax now before going to walk.

Ouch. I hate collecting the pavement! Fortunately, it doesn't look too bad - I always manage to collect my chin as well.

As for Garmin - why, when you switch to metric, does it not switch to metric everywhere. I hate, hate, hate that. You have to change to metric, then you have to change tracking of each discipline - run, walk, trail run - over to metric. Bloody annoying. Then it still gives you badges for 'fastest mile'. I have zero concept of how long a mile is so I have to translate it back to metric and then it's like, fastest 1.6km, whoop-de-*kitten*. Who cares. When you switch to metric, everything to do with miles should just vanish. Rant over.

I know!!! There should be one setting in garmin connect that says "km or miles" and that's it. Everything sets based on that. Grrrrrrrr
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @Avidkeo You rock for finishing the run after that. I know it had to sting. Glad Little miss took care of you when you got home.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Ok, before I just don’t make a goal. I am officially shooting for the 50 mile club. Last time I possibly hit that kind of mileage was maybe last May- if not, it was way longer ago. Unofficially, I hope to get above 60 miles.

For other news....A somewhat local group that does brewery runs in the summer, organized a virtual challenge that runs until May 10th, that I joined. They have various swag you earn for certain total miles. The whole first week of it was junk weather, and since I am still on the fairweather runner side of getting back on the wagon... I got 0 mileage. So, I likely won’t get to the “free beer” levels of swag, but charity and goals help with motivation.

Also, my very much not active sister felt strongly enough about the recipients of a charity sponsored virtual 5k that SHE signed up. So, as a sign of solidarity, I will be doing at least a 5k this weekend hahah.

For the Garmin users out there, I have a question....
    my levels of adulting have been generally bad this month. I had a very dead Garmin on my wrist most of yesterday, because I did not consider that it needed charged. Therefore, yesterday’s run ended up getting recorded via strava.... is there any way to copy said run to my garmin data? I can find how to go the other way.... but I’m apparently too much of a Luddite to reverse the process. Or do I just need to consider it a lost run to the garmin-verse, and try and be a more responsible adult in the future??

I think that is all I have for tonight. Run happy and stay healthy.
  • PastorVincent
    I FINALLY managed to finish C25K (yay!).

Yay!! Well done!!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    I didn’t set a goal last month, but I am going for 50 this month. I want to focus on speed work, as well as add in some strength training.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    For the Garmin users out there, I have a question....
    my levels of adulting have been generally bad this month. I had a very dead Garmin on my wrist most of yesterday, because I did not consider that it needed charged. Therefore, yesterday’s run ended up getting recorded via strava.... is there any way to copy said run to my garmin data? I can find how to go the other way.... but I’m apparently too much of a Luddite to reverse the process. Or do I just need to consider it a lost run to the garmin-verse, and try and be a more responsible adult in the future??

I think you can export it as a gpx file in Strava and then import it in Garmin Connect. I'm pretty sure I've done this in this direction (I know I have from garmin to strava). Otherwise you can just create a manual activity in Garmin if you just want to log the miles but of course you won't have all the data you might be interested in.
  • PastorVincent
    Well, I’ve done a potentially ludicrous thing and signed up for a 1000k virtual race across Tennessee between today and the end of August. Getting too big for my britches I guess. Pray for me.

250k a month? I do not know your fitness level, but that is a pretty serious commitment. Just make sure you are up to it, especially given that Tennessee will be nice and warm for most of that time. :) If that is in the range you know you can do, then go for it! Even if it is a little stretch, maybe more so.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    5-1 7k moderate

May Total: 191k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Doesn't get much better than today. 45 degrees F, a light misty drizzle, and just a bit of a breeze from the north.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH