May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm still up (only 9pm here). In theory she should be doing her last run soon...
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic go go go! Wish we could all be there with a finish line for you at the end 👏 👏

@ContraryMaryMary - well done on the 30km!

I did strength training today but I reckon I have to keep checking in every day, not just every day I run because it’s too entertaining to miss anything!!

May goal: 60 miles
    May total: 4.2 miles

1/5: Strength training
    2/5: 4.2 miles
    3/5: Strength training

April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    12 out of 12 runs done, 48 out of 48 miles.

Running thoughts:
    Run 1, 9 am - Good morning! Lovely day on the trails, a little muddy, I better do roads from here on. I can totally do this. I'm in!
    Run 2, 1 pm - OK, we're good, it's a good temp, I still got a few things done today between runs, feeling fine. This is easier than a long run. I can do this.
    Run 3, 5 pm - All right, it's still fine, but it's gotten a little chillier and is starting to mist and I'm not super into this. Drove to a new location so the change is good. The misty rain is starting to get a little more intense. OK, now I'm soaked and this is less fun, but I'm done. I hope I can do this.

Run 4, 9 pm - I'm not sure I've ever run at 9 pm before. It's no longer raining, thank goodness. It's a little chilly but I over-layered. Trying to mix up the route a little. Quite a few Christmas lights up! Why am I not at 2 miles yet, good lord. I just want to go to bed, thank goodness it's finally over. This is going to be tough.
    Run 5, 1 am - Oh, I am tired. My fellow challenge runners are texting how amazing this is and I can't relate. It's a little foggy out and hard to see with the headlamp reflecting on the droplets in the air. It's very quiet out here at this time. Staying close to home, just looping back and forth through the neighborhood. Just two miles out and then double back. I've only seen one car and no people. Not necessarily worse than the 9 pm run. Oh wow - a fox! And I'm home, ready to fall back into bed. Gah, 5 am is coming soon.
    Run 6, 5 am - Can't comprehend how it is time to run again. My fellow challengers begin to worry that I'm not up, so they call me. Grr, I'm awake, leave me alone. It's down to upper 40s and I'm cold. This one is rough. Starting to see cars out. I feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace. The sky is getting light and that gives me some hope. 4 miles is too much. This challenge sucks. Ah, there's the sunrise. Ugh, I cut the loop too short and can't go home yet. Wonder if my neighbors have seen me out here multiple times. Thank god. Done. Back to bed. Half way done with this challenge. Is that freaking all?
    Run 7, 9 am - Ok that was not enough sleep but the sun is out and it feels like a civilized thing to get out of bed. It's actually a gorgeous day. I need to change up the route, so driving to the canal. Parking lot is nearly full and it's starting to get crowded along the path but at least it's wide. The distraction of people and spotting some wildlife (turtles, ducks, snake) is helping but 4 miles is still long. Try to remember that at least it's not a long run and stopping at 4 is a lot less than I'd normally do at this time on a Saturday. We won't mention total miles in the last 24 hours. If I can just get through these daytime runs ok, then survive the night, it's over. 5 more runs.

Run 8, 1 pm - Tried to stretch more and do a little yoga before this, not sure how much it helped. I'll just try to run out 2 miles on the main street and then run back. Too mentally challenging to think of routes. Listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is a decent distraction. My feet hurt. I forgot this long hill. I'm walking the worst part. OK, now just bring it home. I almost calculated the distance correctly this time, only a tiny bit past my driveway. I don't really want to do this again.
    Run 9, 5 pm - A friend to the rescue, she is chatting to me from 6 ft away and getting me through this run. Usually she is slower than me but I'm dragging and she seems full of energy. She is awesome and her constant dialogue keeps me from totally focusing on how tired I am. She coaches me through the hills (why do I live in such a hilly town, may need to move) until we are at the peak of the last one. Then it's coasting back to the car. I am practically in tears with being grateful for the company and so tired of doing this. She tells me to order food and be sure to eat and drink, so that's what I do. Just 3 more. It's going to suck but I can do it. I'm feeling like it's mile 20 of the marathon. I want to be done so badly, there's still too much left but comparatively it's getting close.

Run 10, 9 pm - I really needed that huge burger and fries, feeling so much better. It's raining again, but it's light and it's still 55 degrees. I attempt a hill out of my neighborhood and the legs give it a "nope" so I turn around and loop the flat and less-steep parts of the neighborhood for this one. Listen to another podcast (Ask Me Another) and time goes surprisingly quickly. OK, this is ALMOST DONE.
    Run 11, 1 am - That was a short stretch of sleep. Everything in me wants to stay in bed, but I am ALMOST DONE. Short panic when one of my fellow challengers is not responding but he's up and ready. It stopped raining and feels pretty good out. Crap! I stepped in a pothole in the dark and rolled my ankle a little. It's only mile one. I gingerly run for a little bit and it seems to hold up. Mentally I'm so done it's hard to keep going. I go out a tiny bit further than 2 miles and head back. The ankle is ok. I'm done. Just one more and I can stop running and I can get more than 2 hours of sleep in a stretch. That sounds heavenly.
    Run 12, 5 am - Wake up confused by the alarm for a second. But getting excited that this is so close to being over. Just 4 miles. It's dark but the sky is dark blue instead of black, the light is coming. Running to my friend's house so she can help me finish (same friend that rescued me yesterday). I see her outside her house and I'm already 1.5 miles in. She tells me I look strong and takes over the route planning and conversational support. My ankle is fine, I do feel strong, although slightly delirious. Our route is mainly flat or downhill back to my house. 2 miles, then 2.5, then 3 go by quickly. The sun is up. Home stretch! The very last part is a nice downhill and I'm almost giddy. The watch beeps for 4 miles and I am DONE! I am so relieved and amazed. We air high-five. I'm overwhelmed with exhaustion but feel so good.

I can barely process, but this was a completely insane and incredible challenge. I'm now going to sleep as long as I can. Thank you all so much for your support and cheering me on! I thought of you all during those last couple of runs!!

Selfie story of the challenge:
    65ls0utpxo4o.jpg

Just amazing!! Congratulations 🎈🍾🎊🎉 you must be feeling so so proud! You have inspired so many.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @katharmonic!!!!!!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Great job, @katharmonic!!!!! You rock!

Yesterday, I went to a local park and ran 2.5 miles, and then I did the outdoor fitness circuit there in the park. I did some extra weights when I got home.

It is about to get hot here - predicting 90’s starting tomorrow. I am NOT looking forward to it!

5/1: 1.75
    5/2: 2.5

4.25/50 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic W00T!! CONGORATS!!! And much love to your friend for being there for you! YAY!!! YOU ROCK!

giphy.gif
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Incredible @katharmonic!! Amazing job!

Enjoy all the rest and all the food and all the sleep and all the joy x
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic .....What an accomplishment. So much more than physical. Mental toughness. These types of challenges to you that you can do anything. Love the pictures and you look strong in every one. Congrats💪
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Great job! Congratulations!

@katharmonic Congratulations! You are truly amazing! Hope you catch up on your sleep and your ankle is okay when you wake up.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @katharmonic!!!!!! You are my new HERO!!!! You may not see this until Tuesday because I would be sleeping that long if I did something like this (NEVER!!!) You are a beast!!!!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Welcome back @_nikkiwolf_ and @Mari33a!
    @Avidkeo Nasty running badges and I agree there should be one Garmin set point that transitions everything.
    OMG! You guys are seriously serious runners!
    As others have said we are a varied group, have fun.
    @mbaker566 Nailed it with your " i'm still not a fast runner. just a steady, stubborn runner "

11 km with our Social Distancing Run group of 4. The 2nd group of 9 did close to 30km with 300m - 900+ft of elevation. Just not there right now.

Congratulations @katharmonic That was a wild challenge.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, @katharmonic!!!!! I KNEW you had it in you. Great job!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy

May Total: 25k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Mostly sunny, 60 degrees F, and a light breeze from the northwest today. Started out by feel; first k was slow pace; second k was easy pace; so I tried to finish at easy pace. First time I've done 11k at easy pace in a long time. 60 degrees F is at the top of my happy range for temperature.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Woot woot! Big congrats to @katharmonic ! Wow what an accomplishment, you are an inspiration! Love the selfie tour!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 3
    5/2 - 3
    5/3 - 3

9 of 50 miles

I need to come back later and read everything but I had to check on @katharmonic WOOHOO!!! Fantastic.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,997 Member
    Options
    Way to go @katharmonic!!!! You are awesome!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Amazing @katharmonic absolutely incredible. Both makes me want to do the challenge, and incredibly glad I'm not at the same time lol!