May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic, you should be incredibly proud of your achievement. It really shows your determination and mental grit and general badassness. Legend.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Yay for the icebreaker @avidkeo. I tend to get hot running too (except for my extremities which remain frigid at all times - just ask my husband) but that's the joys of merino - keeps you warm without making you hot (not quite sure how that works, but people run in summer in merino - lightweight merino, albeit, but still merino).

To celebrate zero new *spoiler* cases today here in little old NZ, I just signed up for the next season's half marathon series - first race is in October (they have options for all the different lockdown levels), then December, February, March and April (gotta be over this social distancing faff by then, right? Got a tidy discount for early entry, and they're only taking 1000 registrations.

At the worst, and they're all Level 4 virtual events, I'll get half my money back, a free hoodie and running hat, and help keep the event organisers afloat (they're an awesome company and run the best events). At best, I have five new halves to look forward to, complete with shiny bling. Plus, I've yet to run the final of this season's series, which has been pushed out from April 5 to September 20.

Running, running, running!

@ContraryMaryMary I know!!! I mean we will probably have cases again tomorrow and the next few days but feels like some sunshine at the end of the tunnel! Yay for signing up for the series, sounds cool! Same one you did last year?

Yay @noblsheep glad to hear you are heading back to some normalcy. Love sales, I suspect if I like it that much, I'll get more. But will watch for sales.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins woooo hoooo! Sorry about the covidiots. If it helps they are everywhere...
  • ImeldaOmom
    ImeldaOmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    15/55km Completed
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Faebert Checking in here every day sounds like a good plan, otherwise it gets tough to keep up with all the posts :wink: What kind of strength training do you do?

@katharmonic Wow, you did it, awesome!! I'm not sure if I would have managed to get up during the second night, after interrupted sleep the night before and running more than marathon distance already. Truly inspiring what you did :+1:

@eleanorhawkins Welcome back to outdoor runs! I've done a fair bit of my running on boring residential roads recently, saving the parks for late runs (after 22h). Okay, and occasionally risking to run along the coast near my parents house in daylight times, where I do see other people, but so far most of them are keeping the distance. Although it feels like a month ago a lot more people were really stepping off the path and facing the other way, and now they just move to the other side of the path to have a meter of distance while we pass each other. The only times I've encountered really stupid idiots getting too close was not while running, but in the supermarket...

@hanlonsk I'm glad I haven't come close to any idiots like those teenagers you've encountered. And also glad I didn't have to come close to that many bees ^^ I like honey, but I'm happy to just buy it from other people who are brave enough to face that many potentially string-y insects :lol:

@ContraryMaryMary Congratulations on the new distance PR!!

--

My second run of the month is done. An uneventful 5.5km, without any speedwork or anything special at all. Just enjoying the sun that came out during the second half of it.
    10.5/100km for May done

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I got in two miles in the morning, and then I cleaned house and was lazy. I was a bit sore from some of the strength training on Saturday. Since my body pump classes have been cancelled for the last two months, I haven’t been super consistent with my weights, and I can tell!

Total: 6.25 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Y'all, I did it! I went outside and I ran outside! First time I'd set foot outside since March 13th!

Yay! Congrats!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Yay for the icebreaker @avidkeo. I tend to get hot running too (except for my extremities which remain frigid at all times - just ask my husband) but that's the joys of merino - keeps you warm without making you hot (not quite sure how that works, but people run in summer in merino - lightweight merino, albeit, but still merino).

Merino wool is like magic. I only have socks and gloves but I tell you they are magical. They actually get WARMER when they get wet. Stepping in a puddle in the winter is way less of a problem when you have them on.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Oh and the rumblings were correct. Back to a normal 5 days a week work schedule starting the day after tomorrow (we're on Labor Day holiday until the 5th). Besides the ubiquitous face masks, I guess we're done with this thing for the time being.

It is great that you are far enough ahead of this thing to go back to work, though yeah, I feel yea. I am much happier working from home.

How long will y'all be wearing the facemasks for?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest

May Total: 25k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Rest day today. Golf instead of running.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Oh and the rumblings were correct. Back to a normal 5 days a week work schedule starting the day after tomorrow (we're on Labor Day holiday until the 5th). Besides the ubiquitous face masks, I guess we're done with this thing for the time being.

It is great that you are far enough ahead of this thing to go back to work, though yeah, I feel yea. I am much happier working from home.

How long will y'all be wearing the facemasks for?

I'd say give it another month or two at most? If we can stay at no new local cases till then most people will probably be too lazy to deal with them anymore. And boy they are hot in the summer.