WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Dore- Welcome Happy Mother’s Day got lots of pet moms here too.

Amber Tx

Did 40 unaided for the first time Sit-ups !(no exercise band to help me back up) !!
    Excited definitely something I couldn’t do before!
    Started logging the crust off JRs bread y pizza I eat to see if That’s why I’m maintaining think it is. Lost 1 pound (54lbs lost will still aim sure yo-yo between 50-53lb maybe it will budge soon shoot downward!)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all moms of two and four legged kids <3

What I remember most about my mom is her way of listening and being interested in everything we did and said. I am trying my best to replicate that talent and not interrupt to tell "my story" or give unasked for advice. :o It's an art. The art of shutting up I guess, lol.

Loved seeing everyone's mom photos and hearing stories about them. My parents were 34 when they got married, had kids when their school classmates were having grandkids.

Saw an interesting article this morning on the Blue Zones website about who is more apt to be hit hard by the virus: https://www.bluezones.com/2020/05/why-covid-19-hits-some-people-and-places-differently/?utm_source=BLUE+ZONES+Newsletter&utm_campaign=8fead96053-MAY-2020-2&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9642311849-8fead96053-200247373&mc_cid=8fead96053&mc_eid=efdef1f37b

According to the article, improving SDOH (social determinants of health) may be the single best strategy for pandemic threat mitigation. And looking back, it might be the reason my ancestors were spared from the Spanish Flu. Farmers, not obese, not smokers, were not sedentary and ate well.

Remember how we talked about washing hands and surfaces with soapy water destroys the virus's protective coating and send it into a death spiral?

Well, there's something else soapy water is good for: Killing the MURDER HORNETS. :p I read a recipe of 1T Dawn (or probably any liquid dish soap) mixed with 1 cup water will kill nasty hornets and flying critters, because it kind of does the same thing or may clog up their breathing tubes. Depends on which article Googster points me to. You can also spray it on the nests. Seems like that beats spraying poison on them, most of which ends up on me. :s

But I do like the wasp/hornet killer that shoots 25 feet.

OK ladies, heading back outside before it gets too hot. I have my spray bottle of soapy Dawn water and I'm going on the hunt. B)

Have a great day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    :)Dore, I hope you will keep coming back. I found the support and encouragement I needed by showing up here every day. Now, reading this thread is as important to my daily routine as brushing teeth and washing hands.

:)Tonya, One thing I like about this thread is that you can share endlessly about what's important to you. You will always have an audience. If anyone is not interested, they'll skim through but no one will ever criticize or roll their eyes at you.

:)Heather, I agree that finding a class or forum online about creating a website is a great idea. You have probably already started brainstorming and making a list of what you want to have on the website. Take baby steps and you'll achieve your goal.

:)Barbara, What I wanted for Mothers Day is nothing and that's exactly what I got--no flowers, no candy, no "thing" to hang on the wall or put on the shelf. A perfect day.

:) And for the proofreaders---the caption on my picture should have said "Bernie hopes for food"

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: zoom chat with Tracie, baked cookies for Joe and only ate one ;)
    Bonus: 45 mins pulling salal,
    Get to do: invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen, carry over 10 mins cleaning Office, bedrooms, Dining Rm, Guest Bth, mat work, BB&B, firehouse mtg minutes, learn new dance, transplant oregano and parsley, make sweet and spicy cashews for Barb, garlic almonds for Dan, prep potato bed for snow peas, dig up snow pea bed for potatoes and greens, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Tonya
    beautiful macros, am unfamiliar with that term in the context of photos. In addition to the already recommended fiber and water, I believe “movement” is key ;) Dance, walk, swim, anything to get things “moving” ;)
    Terri I’m jealous you’re already eating your lettuce! I procrastinated too long this year with predictable results.
    Lanette :love: volunteer marigolds. Our apple tree is still in bloom, but I see some miracle cherries on the poor remnant. Last year it displayed ugly weeping bacterial cankers. Was told it was done for, but I could try lopping it off inches below the lowest canker. That left two or three tiny branches off to the side. It survived the winter, blossomed this spring and now… miracle miniature cherries! Fingers Xd.
    Lisa “refuge in excellence” came to mind when thinking of your drive to be better. Sending waves of admiration and peace.
    Katla oh yes Umpqua ice cream. Spumoni when I can find it. Good thing it’s never in the stores. Will ask our local ice cream/candy/gift shop to carry it, and be content until and if they do. Papa was a SeaBee in the Solomon Islands in WWII. He rarely spoke of it, only once did he mention carrying a rifle while building an airstrip in the jungle. He did write Mama a letter suggesting she read an article on pg x of magazine Y (Esquire?) with specific issue date. When she found it (how on earth?) The banner title was “[something something} in the Solomon Islands. Yup. Daddy evaded the censors. “unique graduation that will be long remembered by the students, and their families” reminds me that coping with difficulties make the best memories.
    Rita How high? Our old Ford vans make it up and through ok. We have loppers but I don’t want Joe chainsawing from a ladder. ;) Ditto what Carol said about your gift for photos.
    Pip first you fall, then your bike has to go to the shop, now dead car battery? Enough!
    Welcome @krmsotherhalf68! So sorry for the losses. Lots of Senior exercises on YouTube, even some seated if your new knees aren’t yet up to it.
    Rebecca a pound a day? WOW! What are “sweet dreams”?
    SuziQ Joe wonders what I am howling with laughter about. “Substitute teacher” :lol:
    Annie good for you upping your dumbbell exercises.
    Allie snow? :noway:
    Barbie “this thing is not over” you are so right, but I have to keep reminding myself. Would so love to dance with the gals at the basketball court, but…. Not essential, not worth the risk.

Only through pg 33 but time to leave for my Mother of Dogs’ day treat. Joe was going to go to Freddie's to buy flowers, I told him he didn’t have to, I’d really prefer to go for a ride and find a place to walk the dogs. He readily agreed.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Mayl: better than April.
    daily: steps= 5797 ;) vits=8 log=8 CI<CO=7 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=6 mfp=8 clean 10 mins=8 outside=7 up hill=9
    wkly: BB&B x3= rx=1 dance=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=4 play=0 sew=0

I know right???!!! I didn't even tell you guys about the opossums we found in our bathroom, that started it all...
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Is this a car battery that you’re planning to buy? I have seen what looks to me like bikes that are running on an electric motor. It makes me curious. :huh:

Rebecca: Your meals look very tempting and delicious :star:

SuziQ: Is Kermit the new substitute teacher? I looked Kermie up, and he was born/created in 1955. Kermit is eligible for Social Security! :noway:

Karen: I envy your live and in person visit from your son. We get video calls from ours and also our daughter. It is great to see them on the phone. :star:

Terri: DH’s dad was not eligible to join the military due to hearing loss so he built ships for the US Navy in Bellingham, WA. His hearing loss was much worse afterward. My dad was a Sea Bee in the Solomon Islands. His ship was attacked by Kamakazi fighters. There were fires aboard ship and dad had nightmares about it for the rest of his life. :ohwell:

Allie: Snow in May? Amazing! :star:

Barbie: We are also staying home except for food shopping, and that is my duty. We take walks in the neighborhood and chat with neighbors at the appropriate social distance. Our weather has been lovely. :flowerforyou:

Machka: We are definitely not post pandemic. We still have all of the social distancing requirements. The last I heard there has been one death in our county. The cities along the I-5 Corridor from Portland to Salem have had numerous deaths and are still having serious problems. There has been talk of easing the pandemic rules, but so far that hasn’t happened. :ohwell:

Heather: Sorry that you were feeling sad. Congrats on writing and feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Tonya: I looked up some information on our high school. There may be in the neighborhood of 227 graduating this year. That would likely mean that there are 227+/- cars lined up for graduation at the courthouse steps. I imagine that will take quite a while. It is also likely there will be very many happy graduates with a unique graduation celebration to remember. :bigsmile:

Machka: I absolutely LOVE “What things around us are thinking.” :laugh: You and your mom have similar smiles. I hope you are able to travel to Canada and see her. :heart:

Regarding re-entry—our state isn’t there, yet. Many areas have few or no cases, but the area along I-5 between Portland and Salem is still in dangerous conditions. Oregon is not opening, the last I heard. It isn’t 8 am yet. Who knows what we’ll find out on the news today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

when the guy came to jumped the car to get it going, he ran some kind of test and said we were going to need a new battery. when I got to the bike place to drop off the bike, it was dead again... that's when I called AAA again to jump (same guy) and he started it up again and I headed straight to the car place and waited 1-1/2 in line to get a new battery put in. 200 bucks, but worth it.

the battery bikes you are thinking of are totally different. Kirby has one, he uses it during the winter now, got it after his accident. I could use that one while mine is at the shop but I am gonna use my winter bike instead and tuff it out.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    The father of the very old friend, who nurtured the wisteria with such dedication, was one of the last pilots who flew the flying boats on the Solent in the south of England. Even when he was quite elderly he was still doing festivals and demonstrations. :D He was very handsome, I remember.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Got a wonderful call from.my granddaughter. We talked for 20 minutes. Gosh I love her and miss her so.. I told her I love her so much and she said I love you more awwww..
    My son in law is whipping up dinner for Tracy tonight which is very sweet..
    Im.going to Shadow Sheri tomorrow for a bit and im.on my own weds
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Looks like her father flew it to the USA where it still is!!!!!! He would have been quite old by then. :o
    I just remember him as being impossibly glamorous when I was going out with my fiancé at uni.
    iwkub17xa81f.png

Love Heather UK XXXXXX

• pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

not as easy as it sounds
    jog w/yog while playing kickball and short backwards jogsi- 34.27min, 10.33min mi, 160mhr, 143ahr, 3.26mi= 394c
    Apple Watch- 370c
    walk yogi home- 14.42min, 113mhr, 2.6ap, .67mi= 45c
    Apple Watch - 88c
    Zwift bike trainer, w/winter bike- 47.44min, 20.2amph, 440elev. 160mhr, 145ahr, 16.04mi= 526c
    Apple Watch- 519c

total cal 965
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    We're having a relatively quiet day today. I'm reading a book that I checked out through Library to Go. I'm happy that our city library chose to participate in that program. It makes thousands of books readily available to people in our community, simply by checking them out online. Our library doesn't have the money or space to hold all of the books that a person might want to read. Library to Go checkouts are managed through Amazon. Many of you may already use this system. This is particularly valuable during the Covid 19 lockdown. We can't go to the library because it is closed, but we can check out books online. WIN! :bigsmile:

I love to read. You might have already guessed. :wink:

Katla
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Had good visit with son and his gf yesterday for combined bday for him and mother's day for me. We had originally plan to be outside, but it was way too cold for that for an extended visit. We all wore masks when we were close (like in kitchen), frequent hand washing. Son did get job grilling steaks. They ate in living room area on trays and I sat at dining table (aka my home office) so we were 12 feet or so apart. Close enough to visit. Son brought me a nice bouquet and an Amazon gift card. Already ordered two pair of shorts and a Columbia shirt. We were all masked when they were leaving, so I just had to give my boy a hug.

Went for walk this morning then had long FaceTime with son and family in Arizona today. The grandkids were pretty funny today. They kept want to show me the birds eating from a block of bird seed in their back yard. Ended up taking a nap after lunch-don't like it this cold on Mother's Day!

Started sanding on door frames to bed rooms so I can paint them white (1956 pine!). Can't see spending money on new door jams/frames if these work but this will freshen them up and have them ready for new doors when the gentleman who is installing them resumes business.

We just had some hail to go along with the thunderstorms we have been having. This weather shift has given me a sinus headache which I hope goes away soon. Of course, first thoughts are COVID-19 but I have had sinus pressure often enough to recognize it! May try decongestant later to help it ease up.

Glad to hear everyone seems to have had a good day. I also thought about my mom a lot. She was a strong woman, widowed at 30 with four children 8 years to 6 months (that was me!). She raised us on her own, never took government assistance, and taught us how to work and how to love each other and life.

Have a good rest of your day,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    An older photo of my mother ... she's on right on the phone ...

pefev5gp26nd.png

Machka in Oz