Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Well done!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would think my Garmin watch is off. I’m not using a foot pod. My treadmill is decent, Nordic Track commercial 1750, it’s not the most expensive but it’s a good enough treadmill.

You can adjust the miles on the Garmin watch when you do a dreadmill run. I forget the button combination but you can basically tell it it "No I ran 10.0 miles, not 9.25 miles" and it will update all the stats to reflect it.

What model Garmin do you have? I don't think this is an option on the Forerunner 235. It's self-calibrating only.

Congratulations on your second fastest HM @kgirlhart! Very impressive solo effort!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I would think my Garmin watch is off. I’m not using a foot pod. My treadmill is decent, Nordic Track commercial 1750, it’s not the most expensive but it’s a good enough treadmill.

You can adjust the miles on the Garmin watch when you do a dreadmill run. I forget the button combination but you can basically tell it it "No I ran 10.0 miles, not 9.25 miles" and it will update all the stats to reflect it.

What model Garmin do you have? I don't think this is an option on the Forerunner 235. It's self-calibrating only.

Oh, my bad. It seemed like such a basic function I thought all the models would have it. Mine is a Forerunner 935. It seems silly that they do not.
  • robynmac5819
    robynmac5819 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic
    I just have the Garmin Forerunner 35, nothing crazy. It’s pretty basic, not fancy at all. When I bought it last year, I mainly bought it because I liked having a watch on my wrist. Maybe I’ll invest in something better for running but that won’t be for a while.

I’ll have to play with it and Garmin Connect and see if it’s possible. Or maybe google the issue.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest

May Total: 71k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Perfect day for a rest day, because it's snowing (again).

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Oh, my bad. It seemed like such a basic function I thought all the models would have it. Mine is a Forerunner 935. It seems silly that they do not.

I have a Garmin 245 and it does have the save and calibrate. When you click on that, it allows me to change the distance to match the treadmill. What it doesn't do, is change the split/lap times. All it does is change the overall distance. So the splits don't exactly match the time. Not sure what the purpose is then for it, as I could simply change that on the app.
    I guess just so it "learns" and tries to get closer the next time on the treadmill.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Great job @kgirlhart ! Awesome run
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I didn't know that. I just ignore what Garmin says and use treadmill distance for my own personal charts. I'll have to look into that.

I don't know how to do that on the watch, but after loading to Garmin Connect, I know I can edit on the app or website. It's already been sent to Strava by then, though.

You can do it on the watch before you save the run. I think when you hit stop on the run (assuming you told it it was a dreadmill run) you can then scroll down in the menu and pick "Calibrate & Save" and then edit the run. It is supposed to learn from such calibration to be right next time, but IME without the footpod, it will never really do a great job.

Thanks @PastorVincent . I'll try to remember that for next time. Knowing me, I'll remember it a split second AFTER I hit save!

@kgirlhart Great job on the run! Excellent time and a beautiful place to run. You'll kill that PR in November!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 – 3
    5/2 – 3
    5/3 – 3
    5/4 – 3
    5/5 – 0
    5/6 – 2
    5/7 – 4
    5/8 – 4
    5/9 – 3
    5/10 – 10K Mother’s Day virtual
    5/11 - 2

33 of 50 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    May Goal: 100 Miles

5/3: 11.07 miles
    5/5: 6.25 miles
    5/6: 5.71 miles
    5/7: 5.16 miles
    5/10: 13.2 miles

41.39/100 miles completed for May

477.55/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

Today I ran the Un-canceled project Commitment Half Marathon.  My May half that was postponed was supposed to be next weekend,  bu I planned to run today because the weather was supposed to be perfect. And it was. 50°F, no wind, sunny but not hot with a beautiful blue sky. I decided to run out to the lake which is 6.5 miles from my house. It was a really good run. I tried to treat it like an actual race. I took a selfie before I started and a hummingbird came buzzing up behind me. I was hoping that I caught him in the picture,  but I didn't.  I didn't expect a PR, but I was hoping for a good time. I started out a little fast, but soon settled into a good pace. Most of the run was uneventful but pleasant. The lake is full and looked really pretty and I saw some ducks out there. I even took a picture as I ran by. I did get chased by 2 little dogs about 2 miles from home so I sped up some even though I was getting tired. As I came into the last couple of blocks I was feeling good and I tried to put on a last burst of speed. I ended up stopping my watch at 13.2 miles in 2:17:17. My HM PR is 2:15:17 so I was really excited to do so well in May in a virtual race by myself.  My PR was an actual race in February. My next race should be in November if all goes well and I think I will have a good shot at a new PR then. I'm pretty happy with having my 2nd fastest HM today.

When I got home I had a video chat with my daughter and then my husband grilled steaks. My son also called and then this evening I took a hot bath with some bath salts he brought me from an Onsen he visited in Japan.  So I had a great run and a great Mother's Day. 
    1o0j7tbnlbg6.jpg
    58mypp3nr0yr.jpg

I'll have to go back and catch up on the thread. I hope all you moms had a great Mother's Day too!

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Well done, Teammate!!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Tramboman!