WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Michele- She friend requested but don’t remember knowing her at all. Figured she was on one of my other friends list.my MFP has been messing up in days to other things so haven’t been able to check. If you think she’s up to no good let me know. My eyes aren’t that great doesn’t help with the friends pages messing up can’t see much from my end date wise to journals for awhile.

Amber Tx
    a3x5gjatvjmb.png
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Started hot and humid this morning but is cooling off and supposed to rain this evening. We have DS's dog Dude here today. Our dog is his sister. They have been having a good time running in the pasture. Yesterday DD and I cleaned the gazebo including all the furniture. It was hot yesterday and we had fun playing in the water and suds. We went to my DS's for dinner. He ordered from a seafood place. They had a Mother's Day special. Spinach salad for all, choice of entree, and rhubarb slump for dessert. I had salmon for my entree with asparagus and cornbread pudding. It was very good.

Rebecca - Happy birthday to Athena.

Rita - We have 10 acres north of Seattle. We have electric and water to hook up too. What we don't have is level ground. My son set his RV up here a while back and spent a long time trying to get it level.

Pip - like the opossum story. Surprised the mom left the dead baby in the nest.

Lisa - One of the local drug stores here in WA has begun selling Girl Scout cookies at their stores to use up the cookies that were still stored. The money goes to the Girl Scouts.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,003 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Travel/Social Distancing ... I live in NY. Today my husband received "travel information" from his employer. It was noted that if he travels out of the state or even out of our county, he is to inform human resources. If HR deems the travel unnecessary and he decides to travel anyways, it indicated he could lose pay if they decide he needs quarantined when he returns! Sigh.

Beth near Buffalo

That's how things have been here since about mid-March. We received several emails saying that if the travel is indeed for necessary work, and we have to go into quarantine, we'll continue to be paid ... but not if it is deemed unnecessary.

Then the borders shut so we can't travel to any other States or internationally. And since we're an island, when they shut the borders, they really shut them. No flights, no sailings. I think they've started a flight to Melbourne something like once a week now, just in case, but you've got to have a really good reason to get on it.

Then the NW of the island shut it's "borders" so that no one could go there or leave there at all. While the rest of us were restricted to our "local areas". Throughout Tasmania, we've opened a bit this week so we can travel 30 km from home!

But we're still being told ...

qzs1hoiv1zvs.png

We've also been told, since the beginning and still ...

"Vulnerable people are encouraged to stay home and protect their health. (Vulnerable people includes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people 50 years and older with one or more chronic medical conditions. People 65 years and older with chronic medical conditions. People 70 years and older. People with compromised immune systems, and people with a disability)."

My husband is getting close to 65 with a severe brain injury and epilepsy. I'm not sure if those are considered "chronic medical conditions", but we're being cautious.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    stats for the day.

winter bike sure does make a difference in speed

Bike ride home 2 sumner station- 1hr, 1min, 55sec, 141mhr, 12.8amph, 13.24mi= 458c
    apple watch- 405c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.18min, 139mhr, 9.55min mi, .53mi= 49c
    apple watch- 54c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.40min, 10.10min mi, 146mhr, .45mi= 57c
    apple watch- 55c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm, windy and sprinkles- 20.07min, 7.7amph,145mhr, 2.59mi= 167c
    apple watch- 122c

total cal 731
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    Styxgal wrote: »
    Hi, it's my first post ever. Decided I was going to take the weight loss idea more seriously. Need to lose about 50 lbs. I've gained about 5 during our lock-down.

:) Welcome. I hope you'll keep coming back and join in the conversation. The women on this thread have supported and encouraged me for a long time.

:) Today I worked on preparing the ground for planting zucchini seeds. My walking friend went to a small garden store and bought two cherry tomato plants for Jake to plant in his raised garden bed at the other end from the elephant garlic. Now it looks like the rain is starting and will continue for several days. I took Sasha for a long after supper walk and came back just as it started to drizzle.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    yq292urzz1be.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: Your DH’s health conditions are certainly significant, and long term challenges. Someone who writes official rules may be brilliant, or lost in fog. My nonmedically trained self considers epilepsy and severe brain injury as serious long-term issues. I hope you eventually get a sensible and supportive response from official sources. :heart:

Our son has warned the family to stock up on protein. I made some purchases today and will continue to look for ways to fill our freezer with high quality & protein rich foods so we can eat well. I will continue shopping as needed. We’ve never had a food shortage in my 70+ years. It is hard to imagine. I hope things do not become as difficult as he foresees.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Karen - I did not buy any leggings for me! Mine are £10 black ones from Amazon and very nice too. :D I honestly think when she tried them on she was a bit dubious about them, but I don't want to have to send them back.
    I'm very averse to paying money just for a name. I'm sure they are no different to cheaper ones. I will pay good money for something that really is worth it, but, in general, I feel expensive clothing, creams and make up is a rip off. My dad instilled in me to ignore labels. He was a natural iconoclast. That's one good thing I got from him. Examine everything!
    However, DDIL piicked them as an alternative to the shiny black ones she really wanted and were out of stock, and said they looked fab online. She has a gorgeous figure, so I'm sure they'll look great, but she may not wear them. ;):*
    The shiny black ones, which are absolutely fabulous, came back into stock yesterday. :#:/

Gorgeous blue sky outside. Cool breeze. Good running weather.
    This morning we are Zooming the grandchildren so they can give their answers to DH'S quizzes. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Amber – I tried searching for info about her (BillieOldish) like Lisa said, and the only mention of her was the post I made asking if anyone got a request from her. As it is right now, I’m not going to accept or decline her. Let me know what your experience is, OK? What makes you think she’s up to no good? I see that she’s also a friend of workoutaholic. She used to be a member here but I don’t think she’s posted in a long time.

Styxgal – welcome.

Tomorrow I go to the hospital for my shot of prolia.

Katla – when I went to Food Lion today, there was a fair amount of meat of what they had. I guess there isn’t as much of a “hoarding” since not everyone has an extra freezer, lots of people only have the freezer that comes with their refrigerator.

Michele NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Here is the final question he set for Max. Max did need his dad's help to solve it.

ca7494lvbe4a.jpg

Love Heather UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    My guess to the solution to Heather's puzzler:

Heather
    -Oh, I see!…I misunderstood when you said you claimed your 15% off coupon; I thought that was a reward for paying full price for the gift you gave your daughter-in-law, and you decided to use the discount for yourself.
    -I'm usually thrifty, but I do love to look at expensive things, and sometimes I receive pricy coveted items as gifts from my generous family. I own 4 pairs of Lularoe leggings (gifts), but my $10 Amazon leggings are just as soft and comfy!
    -What I really enjoy is when I find a Goodwill bargain - for example, I found a pair of new matte brown leather Sanitas (Danskos) at Goodwill for $3, about 3% of the original cost. And I had been coveting a pair just like them a few weeks before!
    -A few years ago, I got 2 well-seasoned cast iron skillets at Goodwill for $25 for both (different sizes), which may sound like a lot for thrift store items, but to buy a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet of the same quality would have been triple that price for one skillet, so I paid at most 15% of fair market value, since cast iron skillets in good condition appreciate with time. My favorite cast iron skillet, however, is a very expensive gift from my spouse; it is a LeCreuset enameled cast iron skillet. Lovelovelove my LeCreuset. One of my prized possessions.

>>>

View from my window FB:

hqv996x9bfzf.png
    128m708y1xxk.png
    r211igw7rh82.png

Karen in Virginia
    >>>
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    :D:po:) for the answer Karen. I was pleased with myself, but Max is only just 9. :o

I love beautiful and expensive things too and spend far too much time looking at home and design magazines. I rarely buy anything though. Luckily my imagination is very strong. :D But a very good and beautiful thing is a joy for ever. We are still loving our new Dualit kettle. :D

Good news! Today I have lost another pound!!!!! :drinker: That makes three and a half pounds since the lockdown. Half a pound per week. I'm delighted. I still have a few pounds to go to get back to perfection, >:) , but it really has cheered me up. My secret? Eating a little bit less and moving much more. Easy, eh??.. :laugh: :noway:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Welcome Shona from France. I am a dedicated Francophile, though I have never had to live there! ;)
    I lost 57 lbs and have kept it off for six and a half years. I have grown to like exercise. My body has changed from one that was almost crippled to one that serves me well. You can do it! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: protein bar instead of candy after dinner/before bed both Sun and Mon, invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen, made sweet and spicy cashews for Barb.
    Bonus: 1 load laundry, jetty stroll and coffee chat with Barb, prep potato bed for snow peas, dig up snow pea bed for potatoes and greens.
    Get to do: invest 10 mins cleaning Living Rm, carry over 10 mins cleaning Office, bedrooms, both bathrooms, Dining Rm, mat work, BB&B, firehouse mtg minutes, learn new dances, transplant oregano and parsley, make garlic almonds for Dan, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Was going to join this study, but alas, my iphone is too old (5s vs 6s) https://www.heartline.com/about

Prepped the potato and pea areas just in time. Storm coming in will be too soggy to dig or plant, but the rain will settle in the fertilizer. Hope there’s a little break in the weather Thursday morning so I can transplant. Today will be too blustery to go out, will have no choice but to clean.

Amber :love: your tribute to your Mom.
    Annie ((hugs))
    Kate your father looks like a young Bing Crosby!
    SuziQ really like your “treat ourselves at the standard we expect others to treat us” approach. Will adopt it and not just for birthdays/holidays. ;)
    Karen Project Aunt Elsie’s Stove is on hold until I can persuade the appliance repair guy to make a house call and determine whether or not the oven pilot light will light. Don’t want to invest any more elbow grease until we know. If it’s a “Yes!” will ask him about rust removal and heat resistant paint… ;) Guessed the same to Heather’s puzzle, the first I’ve been able to answer in any way ;)
    Lanette and Karen, would that I could learn that art! Put a guard on my lips, open my ears and heart.
    Pip brave gal! :noway: One hiss from that possum and I’d be calling the wildlife rescue folk.:love: the lit up glass blocks.
    Rebecca Hooray for the positive surprise sister chat! Happy Birthday Athena Rose!
    Katla did you ever read Quinn Yarbro’s Comte St. Germain series? Joe watches Ag day every morning and I think it's making him anxious about the availability of meat in the future. He's thinking about getting a small freezer for the garage for storing some extra meat. OK with me so long as the generator can power both. I'm actually relieved he's a bit anxious, means he's taking this seriously. Would never imagine he'd cooperate with social distancing or wearing a mask, but he does, and even brings soap and water to wash up after every store visit. Oops, it came through BIG.
    6tp0at1hdz1v.jpg

Michele isn’t it weird how much a stubbed toe hurts when you do anything, even sneeze?
    Welcome @styxgal! Would you let us know what you want to be called and your general location?
    Heather that stinks that the shiny black ones came back to be in stock after DDIL’s bday. Can she exchange them?
    042?
    Welcome Shona from France!
    Thinking of Rori and sending her vibes of strength and peace.
    Beth glad you were able to get advice for the best urgent care facility, and that son is safely home now.
    Kim saw this and thought of you. Big again.
    vpabonezf8d0.jpg

Machka saw this shirt in a shop window and thought of you. Sorry they came through so big
    3j9lioaqo49k.jpg

Our favorite coffee shop is now open for takeout. After strolling the jetty, Barb and I brought our coffees to our cars and parked so our driver windows were alongside each other. We were able to chat comfortably for an hour despite the chill wind and drizzle. Will meet Denise there Friday for another socially distanced stroll/chat. Finished the afternoon with a zoom chat with Carol. ZoomChatted with Tracie Friday so I’m feeling reconnected with Brookings friends. Time to call some of the out of towners.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Mayl: better than April.
    daily: steps= Sun: 3691, Mon 6547 ;) vits=11 log=11 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=4 Tumble & Shadow 5=9 mfp=8 clean 10 mins=8 outside=10 up hill=12
    wkly: BB&B x3= rx=2 dance=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=6 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Options
    Tuesday ...

Treadmill run with Zwift ... good run and I think that I might be able to do a 10K on the treadmill!! :)

Distance: 8.18km
    Pace: 8:41/km
    Moving Time: 1:11:04
    Elapsed Time:1:12:00
    Calories:409

a3tw08o0wb7d.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka saw this shirt in a shop window and thought of you. Sorry they came through so big
    3j9lioaqo49k.jpg

:lol: Yes!!