Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    https://courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/24/second-amendment-supporters-protest-covid-19-restrictions-capitol/5250571002/?fbclid=IwAR00aLKiTj2ld5Vb_UWlzSjN1nFqlrqDj_P72Jb4QgtsRb54-XOpwErZW8A

While this is far from the MS River end of the state where I live it still shows the stress level over being told what to do by the governor is not going over well.

One issue is tracking software. Sure government monitoring of our movement like they can do in China is something new in the USA.

It seems many do not understand to keep one case from turning into 10 or 1000 cases we must track the path of infection and get COVID-19 positive cases out of the public ASAP.

The bars, restaurants, churches, ball parks, KY lakes, etc are on line again so we will see what how well the virus spreads after this holiday weekend in 90F degree heat and high humidity.

I feel like the rapid spread in Brazil is not a good sign for the heat and humidity stopping it.

And the only continent on earth that doesn’t have any cases, is Antarctica. So the weather theory isn’t much of a factor, at least so far. What seems to be helping to slow it down, is social distancing. Until a vaccine is ready, that’s probably our best bet for trying to contain it.

What scares me more is that this IS slowed right now. Perhaps that's what explains Georgia's reopening not spreading it more. And this is what the experts predicted all along. Bad in the Spring, slowing in the Summer and just awful in the Fall.

Yeah, I suspect this too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Nice piece, and although I'm reasonably sure it was not your intended point (as I have a strong sense you are part of the anti mask contingent, please correct me if I'm wrong), here's a good takeaway quoted from the piece:

"While it’s true that cloth masks are far from a perfect shield against tiny virus particles, but the best available data suggests that they’re much better than nothing when it comes to keeping infected people exhaling virus-laden droplets of spit and mucus all over the people around them. And since it’s possible to spread COVID-19 long before you realize you’re infected, wearing a mask is usually the responsible thing to do, just as it was in 1918."

Feel free to think what ever best meets your needs when it comes to me. :)

"Watch legendary Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, Founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace, talk about why she thinks animals are not to blame for the current pandemic in this Coronavirus special series."

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hStJvTv_Sh0&feature=youtu.be

Dr. Goodall has a wisdom about life that is very rare.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I intended, recognise and impliment, as one, its what we do here. I take it as one in the same, this why its unusual for us to have outbreaks of these "things" related to our food industry. When these "rogue outbreaks" do happen our local public health department swings into action, tracing contacts and defining the comon denominators etc.

Say a food outlet of some kind, is found wanting, it is closed and told to clean up their act where appropriate, worst offenders closed permanently, the worst offenders will be prosecuted. We do not have Environmental Health Officers for nothing ours have authority. Standards are set for water quality used when washing salad and the like, as well as being adhered to to ensure no contamination on prepaked foods. Manure is not permitted near growing plants after the seeds are planted. Even the animals in the food chain are clean before slaughter, the entrails are removed neatly, should anything become contaminated it is totally removed from the food chain. (That was true 60 years ago and moreso if possible now.)

I'm happy in my regime which is thankfully different to yours. We do not and never have taken food hygene lightly probably more harshly because we do not have "regular" outbreaks, so we are effective.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Zoonotic illnesses have been around forever, and will continue to be.

They travel through all animal species - there is no way to be 100% completely free of zoonotic inter-species transmission. It's a natural thing, even vegans are susceptible to feces contamination, insect transmission, airborne illnesses.

We are all connected.

Great book about this called Spillover by David Quammen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

They travel through all animal species - there is no way to be 100% completely free of zoonotic inter-species transmission. It's a natural thing, even vegans are susceptible to feces contamination, insect transmission, airborne illnesses.

We are all connected.

Thanks! I'd like to read it.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

We are all connected.

Thanks! I'd like to read it.

There's actually this really good documentary called Spillover. I use it in my microbiology class. It is a NOVA documentary; you can Google it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    https://www.wyomingnews.com/coronavirus/cheyenne-frontier-days-canceled-for-first-time-in-its-history/article_33c7d969-4698-5396-a5a6-2143342307a7.html

CHEYENNE – The COVID-19 pandemic did what the Great Depression and World War II could not – cancel Cheyenne Frontier Days.

The organization announced Wednesday that the 124th “Daddy of ’em All” will not take place this July. The 10-day event, which bills itself as the “World’s Largest Outdoor Rodeo and Western Celebration,” was scheduled to start with slack events July 13.

It had been held every year since 1897.

'Not a mask in sight': thousands flock to Yellowstone as park reopens
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/19/yellowstone-coronavirus-reopening-grand-teton-covid-19