NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all..sorry I have been MIA for so long. Been reading these mostly at night on I pad & prefer to type on the desktop. Excuses! Raining here for about 3 days. Yesterday had a tornado about 2-3 miles from here & didn't even know it until I saw it on the news. Guess I should have paid attention when I thought I heard sirens, lol.

@trooworld Your barbeque sounded good. Good job with the exercise.

@TeresaW1020 I chuckled when you said about PB. Made me look to make sure it wasn't Cbabie that said it. Glad your Mom is doing so well at your house. I love Texas Roadhouse!!

@theslightedgeforever I like fish & chips, but also like most other kinds of fish. I sometimes make salmon patties...our dd's would turn their nose up to that. One likes fish & the other not so much. The juice sounds nutritous, but I prefer eating the food. Sounds like your dh is making it? All my dh is making is that darn peanut brittle, lol. (which I do love!!) Good job on slowing your gain.

I lost about 5# at the beginning of quarantine, but must be relaxing, because I have gained 3# back. I need to stop that! Don't think I am eating that differently, either before or now, so don't understand either the loss or the gain.

Well, OK dd & gkids got here on Sunday night. First thing, the gkids ran up & both gave me a big hug. Dh kept laughing saying "your social distancing isn't working". So far, so good. Think dd was trying to be careful before coming here & also says there aren't very many cases is OK where they live. Before she had said they weren't doing much testing tho, so even though it looks like not many cases, doesn't mean they aren't there, lol. IA has really stepped up their testing, but numbers do seem better than they have been. We stopped & saw dd & her dh the other night, social distancing outside, lol. They (dd & gkids) still have school for another week or so, so we have told the ones here they have to wait to see them.

Well, the gkids are doing an online class that they are signed up for, so think I will go down & walk on the treadmill for awhile, otherwise I will have to do it while Disney channel is on, lol.

Have a great day!!
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,210 Member
    @teresaw1020 Are you able to take walks with your mom? That would be a good way for you to talk and she still gets in some exercise. She probably thinks you mean do your Beachbody fitness or something similar. That's great that you didn't put your little "extras" in the shopping cart.

@trooworld For me, that is a plan. lol Doing 3 workouts a week. You are really doing well. Keep it up.

@renaegry Yard work is hard work I think. I used to not think that til I had to start doing it. How did you do on today's goals?
  • theslightedgeforever
    @retiredandlovingit Good job on getting on the treadmill. Yikes on the tornado. I wonder if my son knew. Although he was probably at work miles away. I love TX Roadhouse too. I turn my nose up too at salmon patties. I grew up eating them. I prefer eating the fruit too. I really make it for dh and then I take some of it. I figure why not slip in some extra vitamins and minerals. No I'm the one making it and he's drinking it. Much like I cook the food and he eats it. lol My own fault. I trained him that way. I was just reading tonight about how Iowa is underreporting some cases. Nursing homes and some of the meat packing plants. I do hope it's going down in Iowa. I still check the numbers everyday. My kids say that had this pandemic not happened, I wouldn't know the county they live in. So true. lol

Green Day- Stayed OP 168/238 Exercise-31 minutes YouTube cardio

May goals: Green Dot Day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( Burn 200 min via exercise o:)
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,852 Member
    Hello everyone! I thought I'd share what my menu looks like this next week since I'm not meal prepping anymore. I've linked all the recipes, all you have to do is click on the title of the recipe and it will take you to the recipe:
    Easy Eggplant Pizza
    Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
    Cream Cheese and Herb Stuffed Chicken + roasted broccoli
    Creamy Chicken Piccata + pasta
    Sheet Pan Sesame Chicken and Veggies
    Chicken Shawarma Bowl

@renaegry Good to hear from you and good to hear you are getting your steps in.

@RetiredAndLovingIt I get that, I prefer desktop too! Wow, tornado that close? Scary! Yeah the bbq was very good. Thanks re: the exercise. I guess kids don't understand the social distancing, eh? lol

@theslightedgeforever lol then I guess I have a plan. ;)

COMMITTED.
    May goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Morning all. Day 2 of checking in. Lol

@theslightedgeforever Made my goals yesturday. Even got in a 4 km walk in the 60km winds. Even did some weights.

Today off to the city daughter has a dr appt to get her knee looked at. Need to get the steps in for step bet so possible walk this evening. Hubby on his way home today so will see what the weekend brings. Hoping to build a patio out at the camper.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @theslightedgeforever I could probably manage to read 2 or 3 pgs a day. Maybe lol. Somehow I can’t read books but I’m on twitter a million times a day. I do like lamb but only as an occasional thing.

@TeresaW1020 lamb- to me the cut is the most important thing. It can be very bony or fatty so I pretty much only buy it from a butcher, and I was get like stewing chunks, or when I went this time they had a boneless leg of lamb I got. Usually I will make lamb stew or this time I made this: https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/moroccan-lamb-tagine

Except the recipe calls for lamb shanks but I cut up the boneless leg I bought. Lamb can be served rare like steak so I think the biggest thing is not to overcook it.

@trooworld sounds like a great barbecue. Yeah some special occasions are worth it. My dad usually has a bbq every summer and I always overdo it. ….you’ll have to come back at the end of the week and tell us which one of the recipes was the best.
    Juicers- some things I feel like it’s fine to just buy instead of make. Yesterday I was out and got a smoothie, strawberry banana. It was good.

@RetiredandLovingIt I’m glad you got to see your family.

I’m good all. 2 weeks vacation coming up and of course I’m not going anywhere, but it will be nice to have time off work. My bike has benn working out okay and so I’ve been biking every day around 45 minutes, 8-10km. I feel like that’s not a lot but I’ve been easing into it slowly.

I walk twice a day but not very far because of the tendonitis.

Food- I’ve been doing so so. I have dessert a lot and I decided that was ok bc everything else sucks with this pandemic lol. Things still not normal here. My weight is maintaining under the target I set so it could be worse .

Heat wave here the last week and no AC so it has been pretty deadly. Temp got better today. They are telling me the AC is fixed but I don’t think it is.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld the menu looks good. I have a couple of eggplants in my fridge I was going to make some baba ghanoosh (don't think that's the right spelling. too lazy to look it up. lol) with but I may just make some pizzas with it. Although I don't know if my family would eat it? Maybe I could make a bit of both.

@renaegry Yaaay on your goals. Just a day at a time. Hope your daughters knee is okay.

@it's cleo I'm addicted to Twitter too. That's what my hubby says. I don't watch news. That's how I get my news. ooh I've had that Moroccan tangine thing. I used to have a neighbor who was Moroccan. She made it for me once with some of that mint tea afterwards. I've never tried it myself though. Your bike rides sound heavenly. I have some of that pandemic thinking myself sometimes. I'm trying to change my thinking.......it's a process. I'm still maintaining within my 2 lbs like I wanted for May. I will show a loss for June. That's the plan.

Green Day- Went over 257/238 Exercise-Free Day

May goals: Green Dot Day :( Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( Burn 200 cals via exercise

On the upside, my tally game is going well. I'm learning not to procrastinate. Eventually it will show up in my health habits.
  • trooworld
    Good morning everyone and happy Friday! This morning, I'm meeting up with a retired coworker to go walking at a lagoon for a bit. It should be nice.

@its_cleo BBQ is easy to do that with I think. Okay, I will do that with the recipes! I'm glad when I make a smoothie it's not so hard to clean up. I make smoothies every day. That's great about the bike. It must be nice to get out of the house like that.

@theslightedgeforever Yeah give them a chance to try both. I don't know how thrilled my husband is going to be about the eggplant pizzas: he usually likes our meals to have a lot of protein and this one doesn't. re: your health goals...Have you tried making your goals smaller? Give yourself some consistent wins and then bump up the goals.

COMMITTED.
    May goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @RetiredAndLovingIt, I hope that you have a wonderful time with your grandkids. How long are they staying? Gaining only 3 lbs since the quarantine isn’t bad at all but I get what you're saying. I am right there with you needing to get it together and stop the gains. I lived in Edmond, OK in 1986 and a tornado hit when my mom, brother, and I were on our way home from the mall. The wind was so bad that our car got thrown in a water-filled ditch. This very nice older couple stopped and took us home. It was terrifying! :o

@theslightedgeforver, yeah I could take walks with mom but she doesn’t want to do that. :/ Yesterday, we talk about her looking up exercise videos on YouTube for seniors. I just need to nag her to make sure that she does it. I will be glad when I can start taking her shopping, which will get her out of the house.

@trooworld, nice looking menu you have for this week. I pinned a couple of them for future use. Today, we are making grilled Hawaiian chicken kabobs over brown rice. I’m excited! :)

@its_cleo, I hope you enjoy your lamb. That recipe does look good! Glad that the bike is working for you. Ugghhh not having a good working AC is the worst! When I lived in Florida my AC went out almost every summer. One time it was on the hottest week on record. I about died! :s What are you having for dessert? Instead of giving it up can you go lighter and healthier?

Good morning! Yesterday, after staff meeting several of our church members came and we made a video that will show how we plan to return and the steps we will take to stay safe. It was super fun and so good to see a few of my friends again. :) Well, I lost a bit of weight this week. The problem with keeping a spreadsheet is that I can easily see that since January I have lost one pound. ONE whole pound!! What the heck is wrong with me? I'm glad that I'm doing this 40-day challenge. Yesterday, at the staff meeting I didn’t touch the leftover Easter candy that we all end up eating while talking. Pastor didn’t eat any either, so we were both proud of ourselves. Of course, he was going out to his favorite Mexican place for lunch to have cheese dip and I came home to my apple and Greek yogurt. :grin:
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld My mini goal is put on my exercise joyful movement shoes. Can't get much smaller than that. But my goal for May is burn 200 cals via exercise joyful movement. Logically I know that consistency is better than quantity. I write about it every day in my journal. But knowing and doing are two separate things. The lagoon sounds wonderful.

@teresaw1020 Heads up: Family members don't take well to nagging. :D I've been dubbed the nagger in my family. Hopefully she'll find something she likes. It needs to be looked at as joyful movement instead of exercise. That's how I'm trying to reframe it in my head. Having the pandemic doesn't help because of social distancing. A fun seniors dance class would get her some movement, some socialization all at the same time. My friend in OH teaches Zumba to seniors.

Yellow Day: Stayed OP 163/200 gms Joyful Movement-none

May goals: Green Dot Day o:) 4.5 glasses of water o:) Burn 200 cals via joyful movement :(
  • trooworld
    Good morning lovely ladies! Today was my weigh-in day and I'm happy to report that I'm down -2.2 lbs! Overall, I'm -4 lbs down for the month of May. The walk at the lagoon yesterday most certainly helped, I'm sure, it was 6 miles roundtrip. I haven't walked that much in a long time lol. How are all of you doing?

@TeresaW1020 The kabobs sound really yummy! A pound down is a pound in the right direction, keep fighting the good fight, don't give up!!!

@theslightedgeforever Ah what if you made a mini-goal of taking them out and put them by the door or by the area where you put them on? The lagoon was really nice but walking with my facemask on for exercise kind of sucked. I couldn't breathe really well. :( Here's a picture of the lagoon.

COMMITTED.

d6niarjfkbs2.jpg
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Doing the happy dance for you. Woohoo! I will make that my minigoal for June. Let's see if it translate into exercise. lol I think I would like walking around the lagoon. In a mask? Probably not so much but I would do it if that's what I had to do.

Green Day: Stayed OP 155/238 Joyful Movement: None

May goals: Green Dot Day o:) Drink 4.5 glasses of water :( 200 cals via movement :(
  • trooworld
    Good morning everyone! I actually lost 4.6 lbs in May, not 4.0 lbs. Every bit counts! ;) Time to think about JUNE GOALS. I can't believe it's time already!!!

@theslightedgeforever Thanks! Keep pushing, one day it will strike. I know you will get back to where you were. :) Yeah, in a mask really stunk.

COMMITTED.
  • TeresaW1020
    @theslightedgeforever, That would be great if my mom would join something like a senior class but she won’t. She is very reserved and set in her ways. She is dying to go shopping and hopefully in another couple of weeks the shelter in place for seniors will be lifted. If he doesn’t, we are slapping a mask on her and she is going anyway.

@trooworld, that is soooo awesome that you are down 4 lbs. for the month! You have been doing so great!! Wow, walking 6 miles is incredible. Did it hurt your foot? That pic is beautiful.

Good morning! I’m ready for a new month and have my goals all set. I am GOING to lose weight this month. NO more excuses and I would appreciate it very much if you would hold my feet to the fire and help keep me accountable. I have 29 days before I walk into my church for our first service back and I want to wear something cute and feel good about myself. :)

June Goals:
    1. Clean fast a minimum of 18 hrs a day.
    2. Workout 30 minutes or more (housework counts)
    3. No sugar or afternoon snacking
    4. Track all my points and don't go over my weeklies
    5. 96.oz of plain water

• theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Absolutely every ounce counts. Hard to believe June is here. So far I don't like 2020. lol Keep doing your thing. It's working.

@teresaw1020 So how exactly do you want us to hold your feet to the fire? Will you be commenting on each of your 5 goals each day? What about comment on what you did exactly versus a yes or no approach. That way we could help you spot patterns.

Green Day: Stayed OP 225/238 Joyful Movement: 16 min yoga 7 min strength training

May goals: Green Dot day o:) 4.5 glasses of water :| 200 cals via Movement: :(

My 100 day book has been talking about the stories we tell ourselves concerning our health journeys. We can be very successful at work or other activities but can't seem to figure out how to be successful with our weight goals. She says it's because of the stories we tell ourselves. Change the script, change your life.

Some of my stories: Chasing perfection but then knowing that's not a good thing. Saying 80% is okay but then the voice says but you could have had higher.
    Not finding a good time for exercise because of outside factors.
    I'm not consistent with exercise.
    I'm not motivated
    I like to ease into my day cause I'm not a morning person. I am a morning person if I can just sit and read with my cup of tea.

So I'm working on changing my script.
  • trooworld
    Good morning everyone. My June goals are going to look very familiar. I think I'm going to keep working on the ones I had and add in a sleep one: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 52 oz of water per day. I have been sleeping exceptionally poorly lately and it's taking a toll on my mental health and probably my physical health as well. So, I'm making it a goal this month. Last night, I got 7 hrs 28 mins, so I'm almost there. My husband was looking at me yesterday and he said, "I can tell you are losing weight." I liked that. I can't tell yet.

@TeresaW1020 Actually I calculated wrong, I'm down 4.6 lbs! Yay!!! Thanks though! The walk didn't hurt my foot, I think I'm over the plantar fasciitis finally (thankfully) but...since the walk, my left knee has started to occasionally buckle when walking. I don't know if it is just because I wasn't used to walking that much, or if there is a structural problem with my knee. Your June goals look good! You can do it!

@theslightedgeforever Yeah I don't like 2020 so far, either. Except that I'm losing weight. Way to get some movement in, woo hoo! The mind is very powerful. It can be our friend or foe.

COMMITTED.
    June goal: track all meals, do some form of exercise 3 times a week, get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night, drink 52 oz of water per day
  • TeresaW1020
    @trooworld, heck yeah you count that .6 lbs girl!! You worked hard to get it. I can't wait to see how awesome you do this month! B)

@theslightedgeforever, challenge accepted! :) I have been keeping a spreadsheet of my goals so that I can also see the patterns but I think if I post it here that will help me stay more consistent and not wander off like I'm prone to do. :)

Good morning! So, yesterday DH and I went out to do a little shopping. We went and bought me some new workout shoes. I was doing the Barre barefooted but I think that was part of what ended up hurting my foot. Then we went to Target and got a new frying pan. So, it was a good day! Today is grocery shopping and taking a trip to Sams Club. Oh and I'm going to try to do my first 24 hr. fast today. Not sure at all if I can go that long but that is the goal and anything over 20 hrs. will be a win. :grin:

Goals for June (I actually started yesterday ;) )
    May 31
    1. Clean fast a minimum of 18 hrs a day. 18 hr. 40 min
    2. Workout 30 minutes or more (housework counts) Barre Cardio
    3. No sugar or afternoon snacking NO
    4. Track all my points and don't go over my weeklies 39 points
    5. 96.oz of plain water 140 oz.

• renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Morning all. Well May sucked. Got weight down to 151.6 to finish of May at prob 153-154. So June’s goal is to get below 150. I have gotten slack on working out. But getting my steps in. So June’s goal is to run 2 days a week and lift weights 2 days a week. And do abs and squats at 3 days (have decided instead of following the 30 day challenges I would like to do 100 each day I do it. 20 or 25 of 4 or 5 different styles).

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    Update:
    Ended March at 107.8
    Ended April at 105.0 & had 2 April weeks at 104
    Ended May at 101.0

So successfully down 4# in May. What changed is, I started actually tracking every bite in May.
    I decided I would track and try to hit my protein goals.
    And, once I started to do that, it all fell into place.
    I'm doing mainly IIFYM type eating. By tracking...that's where the magic is for me. Maybe its there for you also?!?!

Some of my foods....
    I get an oreo cookie daily.
    Sometimes Halotop Ice cream.
    Sometimes a cereal bar that I make myself using Honey Nut Cheerios and Peanut butter.
    I get to have Dorito tacos.
    I get to have French fries and hamburgers.
    and I get to eat pizza. I had all 3 of those last week. Last night I made chicken nuggets.
    I eat a *kitten* ton of veggies.... hardly any salad dressing or oils. My carbs I try for under 100g. My protein, above 100g.

I'm also working out (in case you didn't know) - to an intense program called THE WORK.
    and, love the challenge.

You all motivate me, even though I'm not replying all the time. Several of you have contributed to my success.
    AND..... The warmer weather has helped also.
    SO has the Coronavirus and working from home full time.

Anyway.
    YAY!!!!!
    This would be my goal weight. I've only been under 101.0 a couple times in the past 3 years. to be smaller than that I have to be very 'mindful' on my food.

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @Trooworld I think having similar goals for June is fine. My own theory was having goals for 3 months, bc then I felt like if I could stick to a goal for 3 months it would be really ingrained like a habit and then I could move to the next. That was working, before covid.

@theslightedgeforever yeah 2020 can end as far as I’m concerned. I was chatting with someone who said May was the absolute worst, and it’s like- well don’t tempt fate or June will be even worse although I don’t see how that’s possible lol. …I think knowing the stories you tell yourself is important and can help. Even just knowing they’re ‘stories’ and not necessarily facts or things that can’t be changed. Recognizing that can cause a big shift.

@TeresaW1020 it sounds like you’re making good plans with your church to open safely. Sounds smart. Good luck with the 24 hour fast! Not sure I could do that tbh, I tend to get sick if I don't eat regularly- sick like headache, shaking etc. I expect it is a blood sugar issue.

@Shexio what is IIFYM?

Well I’ve been biking quite a bit, up to about 16 km a day. My butt and legs are sore lol. I’m doing as much strength training as I used to, I used to do about 4 days a week, now just doing the 2 virtual sessions with my trainer. I’m doing more cardio with the bike instead. And I go on my two walks a day. Every couple days I add another block on and so far my tendon can take that pace. I’m up to about 2 walks each one 1.5 km. To think I used to be able to walk 10 -14!

Food- it’s ok. I think someone asked me about dessert- normally I have ice cream, or sometimes some of a Lindt chocolate bar. Both of those I can portion so the calories aren’t too bad. If I have cheesecake or anything like that- it’s double the calories. So my weight has been under the 160lb limit I set but it’s borderline.

I have two weeks off work and it’s weird bc I don’t know what to do with myself. Today I went shopping for a few small things I needed and a bike helmet. Some stores are open now, but a lot aren’t.

I’ve been reading a little but about osteoarthritis for my wrist bc I’m trying to learn how to take care of it better. One thing it said is Vitamin D can help so I may look into supplements. Man I feel like I’m becoming an old person lol.