NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Goodness Don't ask me where I've been. I can't believe it's been so long since I checked in. I thought just one day. I have totally been off my routine. Food and exercise have still been good though. That's usually the first to go so I know I'm making lifestyle habits now.

@retiredandlovingit Sorry about the covid dx but glad you are through the worst of it. Soon you'll be able to reconvene your health journey. I'm personally ready to put all those families that don't want their child to wear a mask in one set of classrooms with unvaxxed teachers and then all those that do want masked/vaxxed in another. Same for clinics/hospitals. Healthcare workers need some love too. Lots are getting PTSD and quitting. Soon we aren't going to have enough teachers or nurses. That hurts all of us. So we all need to do well on our food and exercise so we don't get any diseases or conditions. That's my goal.

@teresaw1020 Great news on dh and his oncologist/meds. Wow, look at you. Great weight loss this week. Just keep knocking out those lbs one by one and those 12 lbs will be gone. Happy Bday to your mom.

@trooworld Have you been following your food plan this week? Thanks for the recipe. I made the best bbq chicken drumsticks in my dutch oven yesterday. I have the same problem with veins. 72 degrees sounds wonderful. I think that's the perfect weather. I love your pics you took. I think my favorite is the one in the middle but then I say no I like the first one. How long before you find out the results of your MRIs?

@cbabie Just keep working on habits that will work for you long term. All of us can lose weight but will we keep it off. So what kinds of food and exercise will fit into your lifestyle? I remembered your dh's bday the night before but it was late and I said I'll call tomorrow and then forgot. tell him happy bday and that I'm getting old. Keep messing up the food you cook so they won't eat it and then one day they won't want you to cook for them. Then you can just make your own healthy food. Win-Win. ;)

@katrinamariebrauer Welcome aboard! Are you flying in and out each week? Or are you working remotely so you are in an extended stay hotel, etc? First of all, let me congratulate you on staying at lifetime. That's awesome. I want to join your club. :) So if flying alot, airports have lots of choices to help stay OP if you really look at it. I am a creature of habit so for awhile I would just order what I normally would which wasn't healthy. One time I had a long layover and so kept walking up and down and was looking at what was offered and now so many choices I now noticed. So I kept that in mind for the next time. If you are not in your normal home and have to stay elsewhere, do you have a kitchen/kitchenette? That's easiest. If staying in hotels, you can always go buy food at a local Walmart or store and stick it in the fridge. Lots of hotels have small microwaves. Buying a small soft sided cooler is also an option. I've even known some people to buy a cheap Styrofoam cooler and just keep filling it with ice from the ice machine and keeping extra things there that don't fit in the fridge. Maybe single serve oatmeal packets? Hard boiled eggs, cut up fruit or veggies? My favorite is always cheese sticks and grapes. I say treat yourself at least once a week to something you really like.

@renaegry Sorry about the covid in the family. seems everywhere. So back to your food and exercise plan now. I think we will always have little interruptions in our journey but I'm learning how to get back on track quicker than I did before. Hopefully that will make me successful in this. Yikes on the cold. My dd sent me a pic of her weather and it was -36C She's in Minnesota. Again, I repeat 72 (22C) is the perfect weather.

98/100 Red
    18 min YouTube video
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hi all, one more day & I should be totally out of quarantine (or whatever you call it now). Still stuffy head, but hope it goes away soon. Found out on Sat that dd & gd tested positive, too. Sure they didn’t get it from me..haven’t seen them for over a week. She has been wearing her mask at school, but so much of it around! So far my dh, sil, & gs still OK. My KN95 masks finally got here so I shared with them since gd can go back to school (masked, of course) tomorrow & dd on Thursday. Hopefully we don’t have to wear them “forever”, lol. Dd & gkids in OK still OK, too.

@trooworld. I love the pictures, too, especially the brick one. So jealous that your dh cooks, lol.

@theslightedgeforever Oh…I do agree that health care workers need extra love, too. Actually all workers….Dh & I are both so happy we are retired..our jobs would have been dealing with the public, there is no way we would have been wfh. Not sure I could’ve handled that. The Monday b4 I got sick, we were at grocery store & someone behind me sneezed. Boy, did I make a bee line out of there! Don’t think that is where I got it though…think that was a little too long incubation time.

Well, not much more going on here. Might go down to treadmill for a bit. My friend that snowbirds to Alabama got COVID within 2 weeks of getting there. She has been better for about 2-2 1/2 weeks & she says it is still hard for her to walk much or very fast. (Before this, she was walking at least 5 miles/day & a lot faster than I normally do) But I don’t think she eats the most nutritiously either, which I try to, even if it is too much, lol

Hope everyone has a great day, stay safe & warm!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @cbabie congrats on the weight loss but sorry that it was mostly from stress. <3 It’s been cold here too but today was in the 50s which felt great.

@trooworld Ugghh jury duty calling is such a pain. I am jealous that you have someone to help cook. I do all the cooking and meal planning around here. I used to like it because I could be flexible with my dinner time and what I made but with mom here it’s much more difficult since she is picky and a creature of habit, so by 5 pm she wants dinner on the table. She would never be pushy about it, but I know her, so I just do it. :/

@renaegry 21 Day Fix is great. I’m doing 645 right now and love it! You should totally give it a try when you are doing with 21DO. :)

@theslightedgeforever I was wondering where you have been! Great job on keeping your food and exercise in check. Making lifestyle habits has to be the ultimate goal. :)

@RetiredAndLovingIt Glad you are starting to feel better. I think Covid just needs to its course and we all need to start learning to live with it. I have heard that the N95 are best, but I have zero desire to put one on. I have my "compliant" mask of muslin for when I need to wear one. ;) I do feel so sorry for kids that have to wear them in school. Not seeing faces isn't a good thing, in my opinion.

Hello! My first day as financial secretary went well. I only had to call our previous secretary twice and send her one text. :grin: I think I’m really going to like this new aspect of my job. After I was done, I still had to wait for our pest control guy, so I purged some filing cabinets. I tossed out four bags of stuff plus one whole drawer that had old catalogs from 2010. This church never throws stuff away! I mean we can’t take it with us so why are we hoarding it? :# In other news, I woke up this morning with my weight up almost 3 lbs. and my face super puffy. My body didn’t take too well to the enchiladas and Keto cheesecake that I made for my mom. The rest of the week, I will be eating super clean, drinking a ton of water, and watching the fat and carbs.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,890 Member
    Options
    @renaegry Morning. Sorry about the COVID. Good luck with the reno. Stay warm!

@cbabie It's been nice here, too. Yay for tracking even if it wasn't pretty. LOL your poor gravy! I love biscuits and gravy, it's one of my favorite breakfasts. Yes, I think my dinner was better lol. No jury duty yet.

@theslightedgeforever I was just about ready to send out the hounds for you. ;) That's good that food and exercise have been good. I've been following what I planned, yes, but something has to change as I gained weight again this week. I don't like drumsticks or I'd ask you for the recipe. Do you think it would work with breasts? It was wonderful weather. I just found out the results of the MRIs: no abnormalities. So that means that they can put me on the medication that they want to.

@RetiredAndLovingIt Gosh, it seems like COVID is everywhere, doesn't it? I hope we don't have to wear them forever but it seems like it. Glad everyone else is still okay. Thanks re: the pics. Yes, and he bakes too! LOL

@TeresaW1020 It is a pain! I do all the meal planning and financial stuff but I am lucky that DH helps with cooking and cleaning. Your mom is an early bird. I'm kind of like that but we usually don't eat until 6. I'm glad your first day went well. Wow, that's a lot of purging. I'm sure you have more room around there now. That stinks your body reacted that way to the enchiladas and cheesecake. I'm sure it's only temporary though.

Hi all. I got the results of my MRI back. See above to theslightedgeforever. Basically, nothing of note. We had taco salad last night, it was delicious. I gained 1.6 lbs this week. I am so sick of gaining. I need to turn things around. I'm going to try to plan more healthy meals, I think that is part of it. I need to put my foot down to my husband when he says things like, "Salmon doesn't sound good tonight" and I need to stick to my healthy snacks and breakfasts. I will start exercising again soon, besides the occasional walks on the weekends. Hopefully I can stop this pattern of gaining.

My phrase for the year: "I take no crap and eat no crap."
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Warmed up to -1C today which isn’t good cause we have 60km winds. And have to travel to sons hockey game tonight. 🤞🏻The roads stay good. Did day 2 of 21 day fix yesterday and can barely move today so stiff. lol. Not sure whether I will get to day 3 today or tomorrow.

@TeresaW1020 will definitely check it out. Just figured out yesterday that I can download the app on my fire tv stick so actually got to workout to the tv yesterday not my phone.

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,563 Member
    Options
    Morning, not much here to report...just cold and tired of being cold.

@trooworld So glad you can now move on and you got your results!!

@TeresaW1020 Yea you made it through the first day....LOL I laughed at you can't take it with us...I am looking around my house going okay...is it time to part with that?

@theslightedgeforever Well it's good you are making lifetime habits and you are still moving towards your goal. Wow I haven't heard dutch oven since mom LOL

@RetiredAndLovingIt So sorry for all the covid things going on in your family..yes it just seems to be everywhere...Sometimes I think that makes it easier for us to accept... (not that I want to) LOL

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @retiredandlovingit Did you make it to the treadmill? The good news is that half of your battle is already won if you are eating nutritious food. Now just cut back a little at a time. Maybe start leaving one spoonful on your plate. So sorry about dd and dg. Doesn't the song go "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger?" I too am ready for this all to be over. Don't you think people always seem to sneeze all over the produce area. lol Yes workers all over. Some people are just downright mean now.

@teresaw1020 I like the 21 Day Fix food containers. :D At least you know the gain is from sodium. Easy come, easy go. My mother was a creature of habit with mealtimes. I am too but I'm married to someone who thinks he lives in a hotel and can order room service anytime. So I've trained him that if you are hungry go eat cereal. Especially since he retired. Or go look at youtube and pinterest and figure it out yourself. I have my mil on a strict eating schedule. So she eats when it's time whether or not anyone else is eating. You're a good daughter.

@trooworld I used the rest of the BBQ sauce I made with chicken breasts. I made a panini out of it with chicken, green pepper, and onions. Some mozarella cheese. I put BBQ sauce on both breads and then I sprayed olive oil and spread some garlic powder and parmesan cheese on top/bottom and put it in my George Forman grill. Dh ate that. I ate my share of the same thing but took my cheesy cauliflower rice and made it like a pizza base and then spread the bbq sauce and then topped it with the mixture and cheese. It was so good. I just made a sauce with ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar, salt and pepper. Kind of like a meatloaf topping. But the sauce was in the dutch oven with the drumsticks for awhile. So I don't know how much that affected the taste. Sure was good though. I put the leftover in the fridge and it thickened it up for the panini/pizza. That's good about the meds. So then you can exercise. So the correct response to dh for when he says salmon doesn't sound good tonight is, OK you can find something else to eat, I'm going to go ahead and eat the salmon. It gets easier the more you do it believe me. I'm married to a food pusher. I used to eat what he ate because it looked good and then he would say you aren't going to eat any? Now I'm holding to my mantra of You do you, I'll do me. Because in the end, I'll be the one to get diabetes or stroke or cancer. We won't get it together.

@renaegry Good tip on the app/firestick. I guess a good soak in the tub if you have one to ease away the muscle pain or some good muscle cream. I remember the days after doing lunges. I would sit on the toilet first thing in the morning and go OWWWWW! Then get up and go OWWWWW! :D Hopefully the roads will stay clear for you. Fingers crossed your son's team wins.

@cbabie I got a new and improved dutch oven. lol I think it's ceramic. You can do everything with it. Make rotisserie chicken in it. Desserts. Bread. Pinterest is your dutch oven's friend. My friend asked me what I wanted for my bday 2 years ago and I said "a dutch oven". LOL

97/100 Red
    49 min cardio, strength training, stretching
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Good Morning all!

Hope all is well. Been busy! Realized I hadn’t been on here for a bit. Think my goals for this year is to get back in the habit of tracking and eating more fruit and veggies, and exercise regularly. Feel the need to just reset and focus on my spiritual, physical and mental health. To spend more time active with my furkids. Get working more actively towards my career goals.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Missy

CW - 226.8
    HW- 228.6
    GW- 110 to 115
  • trooworld
    Options
    @renaegry I hope you made it safely to your son's hockey game. -1C still sounds really cold to me lol.

@cbabie I hope it warms up for you. Yes, now I can move on.

@theslightedgeforever That panini sounds delicious, so does what you made yourself. You are an inventive cook! Yeah the neurologist's office called me yesterday and said that the neurologist I had an appointment with is no longer with the practice so now they are going to call me back to schedule with someone else. I'm waiting on that appointment to get medication. That's good advice about my DH. Thank you!

@gemwolf110 Nice to "see" you! Those sound like good goals.

Hi all. I was released from jury duty last night without having to show up and I couldn't be happier! This was after taking Daisy to a vet appointment that was about 45-60 minutes away from our home. Her stitches became a little infected. We planned to grab food out so we got Chinese. I tried to make a healthier decision, so I got a tofu dish with brown rice. We also shared a noodle dish. Tonight is Tuscan Garlic Chicken that I got from someone on MFP. Serving it with steamed broccoli. It better sound good to my husband lol.

• trooworld
    Options
    Hi all. I just read this article about changing your thoughts about exercise and found it really helpful: https://amihungry.com/change-your-mind-about-exercise

I know I need to exercise but there is some kind of block going on where I make excuses to not exercise. I am going to try to put it on my calendar, starting slowly.

• trooworld
    Options
  • cbabie
    Options
    Hello all, I didn't track yesterday yet...it was awful...I just kept eating and eating...I really have a problem, I know what it is and I need to fix it...I did get a bike ride in. LOL

@trooworld YEA, released for Jury duty. I hope it sounds good to DH too...so sorry about the dog and her infection, She has such a good mommy!! :wink:

@gemwolf110 Just keep moving forward..one step at a time..

@theslightedgeforever I was just sitting here thinking how did my baby sister get so strong/determined and holds to her line. LOL Well I guess you practiced on Dad.. :). Well glad you have a "super" dutch oven. Our new thing here in our world is what's called " The superhero family". (Incredibles). LOL We get to watch that EVERY day...

cbabie
  • TeresaW1020
    Options

@trooworld, That is good news about the MRI results and hopefully the meds they put on will help. How have your migraines been lately? Sorry for the gain you had this week. It’s so easy to do and I feel your frustrations because they are my own. I read the articles on exercise that you posted and thought they were good. I know for me, exercise has to become a habit or it will easily take a backseat in my life. Which is a shame because I get so many benefits from it. Bummer about Daisy’s stitches getting infected! I think Tuscan garlic chicken sounds wonderful! :)

Renaegry Yes, doing the workouts on the TV is much better than a phone. I go through Roku on my TV. Wow, two 21 Day Fixes is a lot. That Autumn is tough! :#

@cbabie I am sorry that you are struggling with your eating. Definitely, you are pushing down some emotions with food. Riding the bike is a great way to relieve some stress. I am super sick of this cold weather too. I just want it to be warm again! :)

@theslightedgeforever I tried them 21 Day Fix containers for less than a week. I just can’t get into that amount of discipline. :grin: HaHa on your husband and thinking he is living in a 4-star hotel. Good training on your part! ;)

@Gemwolf110 those are good goals and hitting the reset button is a very good idea. I think I need to do that myself since January went all sideways on me. :/

Hello! Today was a long one because of my staff meeting and then I decided to stay and clean both buildings. Hubby has a bunch of errands to do tomorrow, and he hasn’t driven since his surgery. I don’t know why except that he still feels weak and doesn’t trust himself. So, we are going out and might do lunch as well. I’ve been craving some Panera Bread broccoli cheddar soup! Tonight is ladies Bible study and I’m actually preprepared to lead this week’s topic, which is prayer. I do like me some prayer and have been utilizing it quite a bit lately. ;) Fingers are crossed that I don’t have a gain tomorrow. Like I said above, I think I need a whole new reset as we go into a new month. :|
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie What's your first step to fixing your problem? Yay for the bike ride! Yeah, I'm glad I was released. Luckily, my husband ate dinner without changing it! Well, he did a little more on that later.

@TeresaW1020 I haven't had one in a while but I haven't exercised either. Yeah that makes sense about exercise becoming a habit. Daisy is doing a little better, thanks. The Tuscan garlic chicken was excellent! :D I hope your hubby can get back to driving confidently. That's good you are prepared for bible study. Hang in there!

Hi all. Well, my hubby said he wanted some lower-carb pasta with dinner and so I said, "Go ahead and make you some, I don't want any"! So he did and I ate my meal as I wanted it and he ate his meal as he wanted it. This is the first week in a long time that I am tracking and not in the red this early in the week, my week resets on Weds. I drank enough water yesterday and stayed out of the snacks. Not that we have any but still, I could have gone to the store and got some. But something needs to change, that should have been my phrase for the year!

• cbabie
    Options
    Morning all, I didn't track again yesterday. I did go on a bike ride, and a long walk...What is my plan...sew my mouth shut. :)

@TeresaW1020 I bet you are having fun leading a Bible Study...I say that because I would and we are twins..LOL. I pray you DH gets back his strength quickly.!!

@trooworld I laughed at your comment about change should have been...Then I stopped laughing. I remember my word one year was change and in one day my whole life as I knew it changed. Change in itself is great, but when you are not the one controlling the change..LOL. So glad you had what you wanted and your DH got to eat what he wanted...my DH would just eat whatever I fix as long as he could just fill his plate and eat..LOL

Cbabie
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @gemwolf110 Your goals sound good. Now how are you going to turn them into action steps? So be specific. When are you going to exercise? How many f&v are you aiming for every day? How much time extra do you want to spend with your furbabies?

@trooworld I'm inventive because I don't like to cook and plan recipes etc. So I say what leftovers do I have and what can I add to make something new. lol Yaaay on making a healthy choice. Remember dh is free to make his own choices. so are you. You do not have to eat what he eats. Now if you are trying to get out of cooking, that's a different problem to work on. When you were a child, what kind of movement did you find fun? Exercise sounds like "no fun". Good article on exercise Yaaaay on sticking to your plan and letting him do what he wanted to do.

@cbabie I didn't always hold my line. Always trying to be the good wife, good daughter, good mother, good friend, good (fill in the blank). But what about me. I needed to be good to myself. So that meant saying no to them and yes to me. I don't want to be our parents. They'll pout and they'll get over it. If not, too bad. So you know how to fix the problem, get started. Of course easier said than done. What's the smallest thing you could do today to work on the problem. I'd be reading or doing something else while everyone watches the incredibles. lol I've learned the art of getting all my computer stuff done and tasks that I can do while sitting in a chair while I sit with my mil every night while she watches TV. In my trusty Trello board, they are labled PINK. :D So seriously, answer Troo's question. What is your first step? What's going to happen if you continue down the path you are currently on? Big ships or airplanes don't just change 180 degrees and head the opposite direction. Small adjustments in their navigation system. What is your adjustment going to be today?

@teresaw1020 I don't use the 21 Day Fix containers as they are meant to be used as a "system". Although I used to do that only checking off boxes. It was called The Setpoint Diet back in the day. lol
    I just use them as measuring cups for my food. Nuts, blueberries, etc. I'm with you on the warm. My fingers are like ice right now. I'm wearing a wrap. I've had a problem with January myself. Not with food and exercise but my other goals in life. I'm thinking because I haven't made the other goals habits yet. I haven't set up my environment to make me successful on the other ones. I had company for a week and have spent the past 2 weeks "recovering". So that's 3 weeks I haven't been doing what I want to be doing. 75% of January. So I need to figure out something different. I read a good quote today. "It's more important to develop the restart muscle than to hold to an unrealistic perfection model"

I think my mil is having more swallowing problems. She's choked twice today. Last one scared me. So I'll keep a watch and then mention it to the doc next time we go.

I went over my carbs on Wednesday but stayed within my cals. I went to a friend's house. Yesterday was better.

207/238 Green
    52 min cardio, weights, stretching

• TeresaW1020
    Options
    @trooworld That is great that you didn’t give in to the pasta and still your hubby got to have what he wanted. I do that a lot here at home. I will often give DH bread, pasta, or other foods that I simply don’t eat. Mom doesn’t like mashed cauliflower so I bought those single-serve mashed potatoes. There is always a way for us to stay on plan. ;) No reason you can’t change or add to your 2022 phrase. “Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!” How’s that? :grin:

@cbabie Good for going on the bike ride. Why didn’t you track? Do you just hate it as I do? I do know I do better if I try to track as much as I can first thing in the morning and then adjust it as I go through the day. :)

@theslightedgeforever Yeah, I use the containers as measuring cups too. They are very good for portion control on things like nuts, which I could easily eat way more than I should. Ohhhh I love that quote!! <3 And I am hitting the restart muscle again this month with every intention of making it a better month than January has been.

Hello! Today has been a good day but man ohhh man is it getting cold and windy here. We don’t see temperatures this very often and I don’t like it! :# Hubby and I went out today so we can stay in tomorrow when it will be the coldest. We had to go downtown to the courthouse so I could turn in my application to become a notary. We also stopped in at our jewelry store so I could get my anniversary ring sized down. Then we went to McAllister’s Deli for a nice lunch date. Hubby felt great and ate all his lunch and dinner. I have been very concerned with his weight loss and working on feeding him more protein and healthy fats. I sure wish I could just give him some of my fat. :D
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    @gemwolf110 Your goals sound good. Now how are you going to turn them into action steps? So be specific. When are you going to exercise? How many f&v are you aiming for every day? How much time extra do you want to spend with your furbabies?

I think my mil is having more swallowing problems. She's choked twice today. Last one scared me. So I'll keep a watch and then mention it to the doc next time we go.

I went over my carbs on Wednesday but stayed within my cals. I went to a friend's house. Yesterday was better.

207/238 Green
    52 min cardio, weights, stretching

I need to write everything down in a visible place. I want to workout minimum of 3 days a week for an hour each. And at least a serving of both f&v a day. I’m thinking I may need to cut back on my weekend hours at my weekend job. Dogs really need a full day of freedom a week. Would like to eventually take them hiking with me.

That’s scary and concerning about your mils swallow issues hopefully it’s nothing serious.
  • gemwolf110
    Options

Hello! Today has been a good day but man ohhh man is it getting cold and windy here. We don’t see temperatures this very often and I don’t like it! :# Hubby and I went out today so we can stay in tomorrow when it will be the coldest. We had to go downtown to the courthouse so I could turn in my application to become a notary. We also stopped in at our jewelry store so I could get my anniversary ring sized down. Then we went to McAllister’s Deli for a nice lunch date. Hubby felt great and ate all his lunch and dinner. I have been very concerned with his weight loss and working on feeding him more protein and healthy fats. I sure wish I could just give him some of my fat. :D

It’s freezing here and we are having a blizzard. Definitely stay safe, home and warm.
    Lol 😂 yup if only we can transfer some fat. My mom would like to have some of mine and I wouldn’t mind giving. She recently was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and lost weight and she didn’t have much weight to lose to start. She’s been working with her doctors to get things where they need to be.
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    jhvw47u6azta.jpeg
    Good Blistery Morning!

Snow started around 11 pm ish last night. It’s a winter wonderland outside. Lots of wind. Dogs were to excited and woke me up well before I wanted to. Work was canceled as expected so I get snow day. Yippee 🥳 hope every stays safe and warm.

Missy

CW 228
    HW 228.6
    GW 110-115